Ownership Verified: I made "Someone Else's Problem" my own - 2006 VW Eos

1619891876976.png

I mean, there's always this option...
I suddenly want a button-up with a similar pattern.

Last edited:
You need VW Spezial-Gleitmittel :wicked: ... parts number G052172A1.
I just looked at it.. 35 Euros for the 30ml bottle seems to be the cheapest option. I'll probably order that anyway. There's 50ml spray cans but the general consesus seems to be, it is difficult to apply and tends to be more wasteful, resulting in no benefit over the liquid version.

I just looked at it.. 35 Euros for the 30ml bottle seems to be the cheapest option.
o_O And here I thought 19 Euros for 50 ml of special oil for my bicycle gearbox (Rohloff Speedhub) including supplies to change the oil were expensive...

To put that into perspective: the Insulin which I need to survive costs "just" 4 times more than that Gleitmittel (if I had to pay fully which I'm glad I don't have to)...

Yeah, some things are just.. oh well. Anyway, research indicated that anything but Krytox (that's the stuff) is no bueno, and I found a dealer on ebay that had it for 35, free shipping, or best offer, and I made one for 29,90, which was just accepted. So that is already taken care of.

I just looked at it.. 35 Euros for the 30ml bottle seems to be the cheapest option. I'll probably order that anyway. There's 50ml spray cans but the general consesus seems to be, it is difficult to apply and tends to be more wasteful, resulting in no benefit over the liquid version.
30ish is what I paid for back then too, and used less than half a bottle over the almost three years that I had the Eos... with probably too much use of it, so a whole bottle should easily last you five to ten years. Upside to using too much, I never had any leaking issues. Downside to using too much, it would create a Schleimspur down your side windows from where the roof beams meet the windscreen.
An opportunity to use less is to only use it on the horizontal seals that meet each other as two flat surfaces, those leak easiest... so around the sunroof, and around the rear not-sunroof panel behind it. Note how the roof beams spread out to the side during opening, then you can get to those seals easily. But, don't pinch your fingers when the roof step-lowers itself ?

Oh, and if you ever sell the car, make sure to mention that you're including a half-used bottle of Spezial-Gleitmittel, cheap way to show that you're taking care of the car... and that's why I can't offer you my half-bottle of leftovers, went away in the very decent sale ?

Should have used a hi-fill primer on the mirrors to hide the imperfections. It’s a little more work, since you have to sand again with a finer grit, but it would look much better.

Repaint, sell for 5k?
At this point the A3 is more likely to be sold, just because we don't want two of those VAG things and the Audi, while a lot of things have been fixed, also has a worse history, and over 60k and 2 years more on the clock..

Well there's a channel called Big Car, why not go down that literal route and call the channel 'Loud German' or the apparent translation 'Lautes Deutsch'? Neither appear to exist and... well... y'know... they aren't wrong. Once this series is complete you can just make videos shouting over the M5 at high idle. Alternatively - Foghorn Leghorn. :|

'Asking for Trouble' is good too, feel like I could've used used that name. :LOL:

I always wanted to create my own motoring YouTube show. I wanted to call it Übergas. Which is the official Mercedes-Benz term for kickdown.