I need a camera...

Viper007Bond

Chicken Nugget Connoisseur
STAFF MEMBER
Car(s)
2008 Dodge Viper, 2006 MB CLS55 AMG
So my current Canon PowerShot A40 (2.0MP) is over 7 years old and needs replacing. I'm going on a trip in October, so now is probably as good of time as any to get a camera for the future.

I'd love a DSLR, but I can't exactly justify spending that kind of money on a camera that I'll likely rarely end up using. While I was into photography a 5-10 years ago, I don't go too many places these days and I'd never go somewhere just to take photos. I'm not that into it.

So, a good point and shoot is probably the best solution. I've been extremely happy with Canon, so I'd like to stick with them I think. I don't need rediculous resolution, but I do need something that can take low light pictures, etc. Basically I'm looking for something to record memories. Decent video would probably be good too.

As for like classic PowerShot vs. something that's slim (the kinda camera that looks like a deck of cards when turns off) -- I dunno. I'm open to suggestions. Small is good as it can fit in my pocket, but I'm betting there's sacrifices for that.

Cost is of course a consideration, but should not be the defining factor. I'm looking to invest in something that will last me 5 years or something. I'd rather pay a bit extra now for a better camera.

Someone I know just bought a PowerShot G10. Perhaps I should do the same?

Last edited:
I don't know a whole lot about point&shoots, but I do know that none of them are particularly good in low light, unless you don't mind the hideous look of direct flash.

I do hear otherwise good things about the Canon G series cameras. For one, they are built solidly and have a good controls arrangement.

Last edited:
I don't know a whole lot about point&shoots, but I do know that none of them are particularly good in low light, unless you don't mind the hideous look of direct flash.
Unfortunately it'd be silly to spend $1000 or whatever for a camera I'll rarely use, so I gotta stick to a unibody.

The issue with the G10 was that they did not really reduce noise at high level ISO (ISO400+) over the G9, which at its time did not have any real competition. But now they have the Lumix DMC-LX3 which I hear in reviews many felt took the place of the G9 as the POS to have with its 720p video and better ISO.
Now the G11is coming out and they drop the MP, maybe in a bid to get some better ISO response in low light.

That being said, I love my G9 and think it does a great job at shots as long I am shooting less then 400 ISO, and even at 400 ISO i can manage with some post processing.

EDIT:
Some good review reads
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmclx3/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong10/
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canong9/

Last edited:
On Amazon, the G10 is $250 less than the G9. o_O

yeah thats the weird thing, I remember listing on TwIP they felt it meant the G9 was still popular. Dont know if it means that or just some weird Amazon thing.

Look into the coming G11 (less megapixels, better) or the coming S60. Both should be great.

I'd also look into the Panasonic LX3. It's superb as well.

It is quite expensive. But those are about the only compacts I'd be able to speak about.

But both Canon and Panasonic makes very good cheaper cameras as well.

I can vouch for the Panasonics or Canons. Only issue to be aware of for the Panasonics is the sometime lack of optical viewfinder. Makes for a pain in the rear when shooting anywhere really bright. They aren't all missing them, just be aware that some don't come with one.

I have heard about the G10 not being the improvement people were expecting.

I know the S5is was pretty good with a longer zoom but don't know about is newer brothers.

I personally would recommend the Panasonic Lumix DMC-LS75, as that's what I had and it was a great little thing. I miss it dearly :cry: It did just about every kind of photo you could want and it was simple and easy to use, so for someone who likes photography but doesn't get out to do it much, its pretty much perfect. Great for making memories. :)

Avoid Sony at all costs. At low light it?s useless.

Avoid Sony at all costs. At low light it?s useless.

Hmmm...I disagree. Sony's W-series cameras are one of the best in the top segment of low-budget cameras.
I've compared my W150 to a 10mp Canon and a 8mp Olympus. The Sony was the best of the three. Not to mention it is the only one with 5x Optical zoom.

It's the best camera I've owned. I constantly get compliments about the pictures it takes and their quality.

Low light pictures...I haven't had any problems. The flash has three settings, and here is a picture with NO flash in the club (light was pretty low, except for the projectors). Sorry I can't upload the full size pictures, but I'm at work:
6368_513805887466_74502451_30582701_1108747_n.jpg

6608_513383653626_74502451_30564478_7819668_n.jpg

And here is a shot in the club with the flash set on Low:
6368_513805897446_74502451_30582703_5620101_n.jpg

The W-series also shoots 30fps 640x480 videos. I think it's the best camera under $200.

Just avoid the Sony S-series. They are bloody terrible.

The Panasonic LX3 isn't for everyone. Very good quality, but it has a 2.5x zoom so it's not versatile at all.

The Panasonic ZS3/ZS1, however, would probably be more what you want. 12x zoom, 10.1 megaporkels. The two are pretty much the same, but the ZS3 does 720p video, the ZS1 only does WVGA (848x480) video, difference is a hundred bucks if you care about video or not. My brother has a ZS3, btw.

But then the Canon G series (and probably the coming S90) are fine cameras too, but obviously without the zooooom. Kinda depends on what you want. Canon and Panasonic win at compact cameras, go with either and you'll get a good camera.

At high ISO (low light stuff) compacts are pretty brutal, but far far far better than a few years ago. Most compacts slap on tons of noise reduction and you get smeared detailless blobs. Panasonic uses less aggressive noise reduction than pretty much everyone else, so in low light expect a bit noisier images that have more detail (my brother's ZS3 is just gross at ISO 1600, but with a touch of Noise Ninja is acceptable at 1200). Get Noise Ninja and get rid of some of that thar noise!

Hmmm...I disagree. Sony's W-series cameras are one of the best in the top segment of low-budget cameras.
I've compared my W150 to a 10mp Canon and a 8mp Olympus. The Sony was the best of the three. Not to mention it is the only one with 5x Optical zoom.

It's the best camera I've owned. I constantly get compliments about the pictures it takes and their quality.

Low light pictures...I haven't had any problems. The flash has three settings, and here is a picture with NO flash in the club (light was pretty low, except for the projectors). Sorry I can't upload the full size pictures, but I'm at work:
6368_513805887466_74502451_30582701_1108747_n.jpg

6608_513383653626_74502451_30564478_7819668_n.jpg

And here is a shot in the club with the flash set on Low:
6368_513805897446_74502451_30582703_5620101_n.jpg

The W-series also shoots 30fps 640x480 videos. I think it's the best camera under $200.

Just avoid the Sony S-series. They are bloody terrible.

Alright, I should have been more specific. :lol:

I have a P-73 and that?s no basis for comparison because it?s ancient, BUT the last time I went looking for cameras, I disliked the Sony?s performance and I never tried the W150, only the W110. Good to know they improved.:mrgreen:

It doesn't matter. Don't buy sony. Don't buy anything sony. If you give sony money you're just fuelling the black hole generator. :p

^ Agreed. Sony used to make some good consumer electronics, but ever since their were borged by BMG, all they've ever made is crap.

Dont know whats this general hatred towards sony, atm im using sony lcd tv, ps3 and sony dvd-player and theyve been fantastic. And for the cameras.. if you go for compact p&s choose canon or panasonic... or if you want more "performance" get canon or panasonic..

Look into the coming G11 (less megapixels, better)

That's what I'm currently leaning towards, although I need it by October 10th. When the G11 come out?