I Need keyboard and/or mouse suggestions...halp!

rickhamilton620

has a fetish for terrible cars
Car(s)
2023 Mazda CX-5 Premium
Ok, I'm trying to take advantage of the deals this weekend and buying the rest of my build.

I am hung up on the keyboard and mouse, so much so that I've spent 2 days combing Amazon reviews, lifehacker posts, etc. I've just been out of the desktop game forever. Seeing the pricing on peripherals today also gives me pause...I was about to drop 40 bucks on a mouse....a fucking mouse!?!?

Anyway, I'll be using the computer mainly for general computing (Office, Web browsing/IRC, etc.) with some beginner gaming mixed in on occasion.

It seems that the direction in mice and keyboards is going toward wireless but I have concerns about wireless drops, lag, etc. especially due to my wireless setup:

My apartment (more like row home split in two) has not one but two routers (don't ask...) and those serve both our apartment and the one downstairs. One (the landlord's) is 2.4 and 5 GHZ, the other (a tenant's downstairs) is of unknown frequency. At it's worst 6 or 7 people could be online simultaneously all over Wi-Fi.

Most of the wireless keyboards and mice I've seen tout a 2.4 GHZ connection. Have any of you with wireless keyboards and mice experienced issues like that?

Some key things I'm looking for/thinking about:
* Media keys (volume up/down/mute)- I have these on my laptop now and would miss them as I use them 99% of the time to control volume.
* Reasonable price (if i'm too cheap and it turns out that yes, i should be spending 30-40 bucks on a keyboard and/or mouse, then let me know)

That's it really. I really don't think I need a bells and whistles gaming keyboard that's huge with a ton of keys that I'll likely never use. Backlighting would be nice but is definitely not required since I'm a touch typist.

As far as game playing goes...I'm torn between getting a "normal" keyboard + a controller or going for "gaming" peripherals. It seems like a lot of the latter have extra stuff that I wouldn't use on a daily basis though.

Thanks in advance!

G700s or G602 for mouse?

And this Steelseries keyboard looks nice if you don't want something mechanical and can sacrifice for a wired option.

And honestly, I'd go for a Stean controller since it doubles as a mouse for wireless gaming from a couch.

G700s or G602 for mouse?

And this Steelseries keyboard looks nice if you don't want something mechanical and can sacrifice for a wired option.

And honestly, I'd go for a Stean controller since it doubles as a mouse for wireless gaming from a couch.

Both of those mice seem to have odd "clicking" issues based on follow-up reviews. Has peripheral quality just dropped in some sort of race to the bottom? I've used classic Dell Mice that appear to be more solid. :/

Still....if my options are limited....

The Steelseries does look nice, and I'm sure I could figure out uses for the extra keys.

Steam controller huh? I'll definitely look into those. Thanks man.

I decided to go with both the Apex Raw and a SteelSeries mouse. That way, I won't have multiple keyboard/mouse software suites running simultaneously. Thanks Max!