I Played A Wii!!!

flyingfridge

Car(s)
Nissan Skyline GT-R V-Spec, VW Passat 118TSI
Well, yesterday was AutoSalon/Game1 in melbourne and with that, the first Australian showing of the Nintendo Wii. Anyway, I went along for a gander and subsequently experienced Nintendo's talented new offering. Brilliant is what it was.

Unfortunately, I still suck at Duck Hunt type games but the rest of Wii Play was just plain good fun. Billiards was a hoot, as was air hockey. The other game I was able to sample was WarioWare Smooth Moves. An excellent game that involved holding the controller in all sorts of different ways and doing all sorts of fun mini games (watching gamers hold the controller to their hip and doing the hula hoop was a definite highlight). Wii sports looked good, I didn't bother having a go, but the true highlight was Zelda. Zelda looks truly amazing and it plays like Zelda should. It's very reminiscent of one of the best games ever, Ocarina of Time, but with added Wii Motion coolness and flexibility.

This is a truly awesome little device, I probably won't get one immediately at launch, but I'm signing up next year without a doubt.

Yeah, I'd like to play with one, but none of the stores here actually have them on display. I'd like to get one, but I'm in no rush either, since I have plenty of good xbox360 games coming out before christmas (Rainbow Six, Call of Duty 3, Gears of War) i'll be plenty busy this holiday season.

For the Australian out there.

Internode Games Network said:
Okay. It's here, kids. The official Australian launch information for the Nintendo Wii console is finally out.

Simply put, we get it December 7th, for a RRP of $399.95.

For that, you get a bundle including a console, a Wii-mote, a Nunchuk controller and a copy of Wii Sports.

Everything else is pretty much the same as the Japanese and American launch information, but at least it's now all confirmed for this region.

Official Nintendo Press Release said:
Nintendo will reshape the home entertainment and video game landscape with the launch of its heralded Wii? home video game console. As part of a global launch period, Wii will arrive in Australia on December 7th. Wii will be sold as an affordable, mass-consumer product at an SRP of just $399.95. The price includes one wireless Wii Remote controller, one Nunchuk? controller and the groundbreaking collection of five different Wii Sports games on one disc, which anyone can play using simple movements, experienced or not.
Every Wii console includes another distinctive feature: a series of on-screen "channels" that make up the Wii Channel Menu, which makes the console approachable and customisable for everyone, from the most avid gamer to people who have never played before. The Wii Channel Menu is the starting point for all of the console's functions. The "channels" offer a gateway to a rich variety of entertainment options. When connected to a TV, the Wii Channel Menu offers a simple interface, letting users pick games to play, get news or weather, view and send photos or even create playable caricatures of themselves to use in actual games. Additional functions allow users to redeem Wii Points and download classic games to Wii's Virtual Console?. The variety of options available through the Wii Channel Menu motivates both gamers and non-gamers to turn on Wii's power every day.

Wii is creating worldwide excitement with its unique control system, an inventive, first-of-its-kind controller whose position can be detected in a 3-D space. The new controller allows users to pinpoint targets in games or move through the Wii Channel Menu with precision and ease. This intuitive control system will be understood immediately by everyone, regardless of their previous experience with video games. With this one small controller, Wii makes games both easier and more intense than anything previously experienced. For example, in the Wii Sports tennis game, players swing the Wii Remote like a racquet to hit the ball, as in real life. They can add topspin or slice the ball just by angling their hands and wrist like they would in a real match.

"Wii is a product for all to enjoy. Whether you're young or old, an experienced gamer or complete novice, Wii has something unique to offer us all," says Rose Lappin, Director of Sales and Marketing. "At such an affordable price, we see Wii as being a true product of everybody."
Between launch day and Dec. 31, Wii owners will enjoy a robust lineup of around 20 software titles, with selections for everyone from video game veterans to newcomers. Some top Nintendo launch titles include Wii Sports, a compilation of tennis, baseball, golf, bowling and boxing and The Legend of Zelda?: Twilight Princess. Wii's self-loading media bay also can play the entire library of hundreds of Nintendo GameCube? titles from day one.
Third-party developers around the world have lined up to provide unprecedented support for Wii.
Additional information about the list of Virtual Console games and the pricing structure will be revealed in the coming weeks.

The Nintendo Wii is going on the road to a mall/lan/gamey event type thing near you. Sadly that doesn't include those of you in the Northern Territory, Tasmania or even the ACT, but it's most of you!

For dates and times check out Play Wii Website

Well my girlfriend has ordered one and I was thinking of getting one because I want to play Twilight Princess. But she told me yesterday that she would leave it at my play as she is most likely to play it when she comes over anyway. :thumbup: It will look very nice next to the 360 she got me for my birthday. :p

Last edited:
We've got one on preorder, can't wait!

Two weeks to go! I can't wait to finally try one. I just hope the games are actually, well, games. I have a feeling a lot of the first ones will turn out to be just flashy tech demos. The Wii Channels seem like a cool feature, especially the Mii channel. I wish they would come in more colors than white.

Why do I picture us all like this.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=phTfYA0oxmk[/YOUTUBE]

omg, this thread just reminded me that i dreamed of playing with e WII tonight...:blink:

it was awful, the thing had about 15 buttons and 7 levers on it and was awfully hard to control. and you know what, i'm not even planning to buy one. why the hell do i dream about that!?:glare:

omg, this thread just reminded me that i dreamed of playing with e WII tonight...:blink:

it was awful, the thing had about 15 buttons and 7 levers on it and was awfully hard to control. and you know what, i'm not even planning to buy one. why the hell do i dream about that!?:glare:

...have you ever played Steel Battalion? It may just have been flashbacks.

no...i don't play any console games besides GT4.:glare:

What a surprise us Australian's get gipped on price, has their been a console come out in the last 20 years that we haven't got later than everyone else and had to pay more?