I quite like large luxury vehicles. Why the hate?

zeoniks

Car(s)
2007 Nissan Murano
They're like performance vehicles however they're completely on the other end of the spectrum. I just don't get how people, especially people in this forum, despise large luxury vehicles when similarly priced sports-performance vehicles are just as excessive and impractical? Granted they are excessive and impractical in a totally different aspect, but still excessive and impractical nonetheless.

EDIT:
We're not discussing what an 'SUV' is suppose to be and we're not talking about the type of people who drive large vehicles. We're here to discuss the vehicles itself and nothing else. It's ridiculous how these types of topics turn into little 13-year olds bickering with one another after two posts.

I like large luxury vehicles too. By that I mean something like a Mercedes S500.

I also like stuff like the S500 or the big S-Class AMGs. BMW 7ers are nice but a bit ugly.

I have no problem with large luxury vehicles (A8s, 7ers, Ss, etc.), but I prefer smaller cars just for the convenience or parking and such. As far as big SUVs go, and I know you said we're not talking about them, it depends one which one, but I don't like many of them.

Since yesterday, I can't stop thinking bout the current Audi A8. I saw one in black, side-view and I now think it's one of the most handsome cars on sale today. It's so well proportionned, Id be ready to put it in an encyclopedia article under "Automobiles/Cars."

http://img215.imageshack.**/img215/5823/24646352eo2.jpg

http://img136.imageshack.**/img136/7263/88jm6.jpg

And would you *look* at that interior:

http://img177.imageshack.**/img177/1850/112071204z2008audia8intsl5.jpg

The A8 i's exactly how I like my fast saloon cars: sleek, elegant and dignified.

Any of these engine would seriously kick-ass:

V8
V10
W12

From another thread: http://forums.finalgear.com/showpost.php?p=589648&postcount=86

Volvo S80 for me:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/30/VolvoS80430.jpg

I love big cars, domestic (mainly Crown Vic and pre '80 cars), European or Japanese (I guess a "big" Japanese car is a relative term). I'd really like a newer Ford Crown Vic with a blown 5.4 and modified suspension, but that's definitely pie in the sky...

Volvo S80 for me:
https://pic.armedcats.net/2007/12/30/VolvoS80430.jpg

If i won the lottery that would be one of the first cars I'd buy, that, a 456M and mebe order an S-Class.

I never noticed anyone really anything on big luxury cars except for when Audi and BMW put HUUUUUGE ugly grills on their concepts and make us think they've gone crazy. And that Hyundai lux they were talking about bringing out.

Who hates on big luxury cars? I haven't seen it.

I'd have a hell of a hard time chosing between a spec'ed up S-class, Jag XJ or RR Phantom. Or maybe a Phaeton... Or maybe a Lexus LS. Argh. I can only imagine the joy I would feel with one of those in my garage and thousands upon thousands of miles of roads out there to traverse in it, in serene comfort :)

Apparently nobody here hates on large luxury vehicles. I love them too btw, they fill a purpose no other cars can.

My chariot of choice would be the AT Quattroporte, luxurious but fast and fun to drive, and more character than a MB. 2nd choice would be an Audi A8 for its discreetness.

btw, i love the RR Phantom from the front, but does anyone honestly think the rear looks good? (yes i know its an homage to older Rollers)

112_0610_filthy_rich_07z+2006_rolls_royce_phantom+rear_view.jpg

Ive seen several on the streets in person and while the front looks bold, strong and majestic, the rear looks dissapointingly pinched, and anticlimatic.

I haven't seen any hate towards big luxury cars.. :/ They're just not very interesting to discuss. You can't measure luxury, it's all subjective.. :p

I certainly wouldn't turn down a big luxury car, but i'd much rather have something that's less luxury, and more fun. Luxury is great, but it bores me after a while.. :p

1. Leather
2. Automatic
3. Chrome and other really shiny bits
4. SIZE
= Luxury
Number four BTW is why the topic starter thinks SUVs = luxury. :| :lol:
Atleast that is the impression I got.

Now to make a performance car is ALOT harder. You need a really good and powerful engine, if not powerful then make it rev good. Make the car sound really nice... a quiet car is not a very good sports car. Then when it comes to style there is two things you can do.

You can make something that looks original, i.e Zonda or make something that is a bit ugly, but adds a lot to the performance, Ferrari Enzo or F430. The greatest thing is that you don't have to make the car look boring, like allmost all "luxury" cars do and you don't have to use shiny chrome and BLinG wheels.

You also have to make sure the car is 1,5kg lighter than the cometitors product. Because numbers = facts. The better numbers you have the more you kick ass. Hell yeah. That's basicly it. Sports cars are all about numbers. The better the numbers the better the car. Most important of wich are top sped, 0 - 60, horsepower and weight.

When talking sports cars the numbers say it all wery well. There is still room for opinion, but that's fanboy-ism. You know who is right and who is wrong, and you can openly laugh at the people who say a Prius is faster 0-6 than an Enzo. The fanboys may be right but they are not playing by the rules.

1. "Luxury" can not be measured
2. Luxury cars are boring. They look boring and do not drive as well as sports cars.

The only luxury car that looks somewhat exciting is the Phantom... but it's still not as fascinating as a Enzo or a Veyron and I bet my left testicle it doesn't drive as good. I imagine the drive is soft... and the engine is quite quiet I hear. So it is boring. :|

How do you engineer a luxury car? You make it quiet.
... and that's it. Job done. Rolls Royce was dead for decades untill BMW "saved it", meaning they bought a well known badge. Made one car. Made the one car they wanted to make quiet, really quiet. Then they put a big engine it it so it could move.

How do you engineer a sports car?
Well Porsche used many decades to perfect an obviously flawed concept and they're kicking ass left and right. Porsche 911. It took decades to get the power, make the car lighter and lighter, improve any possible performance number possible... decades. More bragging rights, and better potential to be a fanboy.

Yea. I fucking hate luxury cars.
They are as boring as their owners.

Last edited:
Yea. I fucking hate luxury cars.
They are as boring as their owners.

I disagree, but you defined your point well and I respect your opinion, +1 rep sir, you need it :mrgreen:

Being Australian, I can't help but love the Holden Caprice.

Holden-WM_Caprice_2006_800x600_wallpaper_15.jpg

Holden-WM_Caprice_2006_800x600_wallpaper_29.jpg

Holden-WM_Caprice_2006_800x600_wallpaper_2d.jpg

That's what I call rear leg room! :D

I love big cars. The big Volvo's and Audi's are great, and the pre-Bangle 7-series are clean enough to eat off of. But I've got a special place in my heart for big old American luxo-barges. Detroit knows how to do them right :D.

Well pics don't want to work, but I was going to post a 1966 and 1996 Chevy Impala SS. And the pinnacle of luxury, a '56 Chrysler Imperial.

Here's a little Photoshop I worked up of a Crown Vic:

Gangsta! :D

I forgot to express my opinion on this thread btw:

Personally, performance > luxury, but these cars fit different markets. Soccer moms like their SUVs, and no-one is going to tell them otherwise (try going up to one and trying to explain what a 4x4 is supposed to do and the impracticality of it all - they won't care) Your A6/5er is for your corporate businessman, A8/7er for your CEO, lawyer or whatever... everyone has different needs, and 50-ish men don't want to screech around corners, tires blazing at 150mph :lol: So as long as the car does what it's supposed to do, without breaking down, spinning off, or costing a fortune, it's fine by me. I guess if somebody wants to drift along silently with 3m of leg room, 4 different kinds of cup holders and bar, complete with bartender, that's cool enjoy yourself. :)