• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

I think Tiff would make a great drifter

Nellus

Car(s)
91 Mazda 626
(my first post)

Almost every show that has Tiff behind the wheel of a RWD car, he's got the tail wagging!
Seeing how he was a professional race car driver for many many years, I think he could pick it up really quick.
I saw him driving a Shelby Cobra on the Goodwood Revival for old race cars, and he was oversteering all over the place untill the rear diff gave out. Opposite lock as Tiff calls it, is really entertaining to watch, and seeing Tiff do it would be that much better.

What do you guys think?

In Autocar Drift Challenge (don't know the proper name) he made to the last 5 or so, but didn't won. In previous editions, the winner has always been (IIRC) Gavan Kershaw, the Lotus guy. :thumbsup:

In an old Top Gear (from before JC was back), Tiff went to visit some famous stunt/show driver in the US, and I think they mentioned during that show Tiff used to do stuff like that himself. He obviously did quite good, and just as good as the instructor.

None of them managed to pull off the instructor's trade mark 720-in-one-lane trick, though. Both in a TVR Tuscan. Was a great show, one of the last of the old TG.

Somebody have it? :)

Re: I think Tiff would make a great drifter

Nellus said:
(my first post)

Almost every show that has Tiff behind the wheel of a RWD car, he's got the tail wagging!

Seeing how he was a professional race car driver for many many years, I think he could pick it up really quick.
I saw him driving a Shelby Cobra on the Goodwood Revival for old race cars, and he was oversteering all over the place untill the rear diff gave out. Opposite lock as Tiff calls it, is really entertaining to watch, and seeing Tiff do it would be that much better.

What do you guys think?

So does clarkson. But I think he'd be shithouse.

It depends what you mean by a dirfter. Is tiff a good driver? hell yeah. can he powerslide? of course. would he be able to pull off a proper drift? very probably yes. would he be any good in D1 GP? i dont think so :)

in bestmotoring they did test if D1 drift guys can be fast on track. result: no. they did the opposite as well, and turned out that what the drifting D1 drivers do, is not a piece of cake for professional racers.

imo tiff woulndt have a chance in d1, but hell, he's a damng good driver :thumbsup: some like it sideways, some like cracking lap times...

(almost) Everything is achievable with training.

When you're not used to do something, you have to practise a lot to lose your habits or to learn it from scratch. So, if he controls the car the he does, why couldn't he be good at drifting? Not from start, but after a while.

^ yes you are right, i guess after several months of practicing, training, finding/adjusting a car setup that suits him etc, he would probably get into it. but for drifting in D1 you need a lot, and i mean a looooot of practice and experience, the tracks are very different, you have very tight courses, and you have very fast and wide tracks like the US one. not to mention if u make yourself into the top, drifting against each other. thats also a whole different story.

the difficulty in d1 is the precision. its not just about being able to go sideways across those couple of corners, but they judge precision, following the perfect line, if you do correct on your line or not, when you shift, when you brake, corner entry/exit speed, angle, smoothness etc etc. so it requires much more precision than most people would think. thats why i said that it depends what we "call" a drifter. do we mean a pro d1 driver, or an "avarage" drifter that goes occasionally to some local competitions. ;)

Whatever.... precision?
You think a former F1 driver wouldn't be precise? He's been driving for years, and was probably doing laps around Monza when most drifters were getting their learners permits.
He's done rally, and countless other formors of racing... Honestly, I don't think it wouldn't be much of a problem for Tiff to drift at a high level. You're really giving drifters too much credit if you think someone like Tiff couldn't do it.

Nellus said:
Whatever.... precision?
You think a former F1 driver wouldn't be precise? He's been driving for years, and was probably doing laps around Monza when most drifters were getting their learners permits.
He's done rally, and countless other formors of racing... Honestly, I don't think it wouldn't be much of a problem for Tiff to drift at a high level. You're really giving drifters too much credit if you think someone like Tiff couldn't do it.

So you're saying an olympic-class swimmer should be able to go become an olympic-class sprinter without a problem? :dunno:

I dont say tiff is a bad driver, no, on the contrary, he's one of the best drivers. My point was that there is a big difference between motorsports. F1 and Rally are VERY differnt, nascar is different from f1, destruction derby is different from monster trucks etc etc etc. If you are good in one of these, it does not necesseraly make you a champion in any of the others. They do share a lot of common caracteristics thats for sure. But nevertheless they are very very differents sports if you look a bit behind the scenes.

Last but not least, drifting in a local car parking lot, or doing a powerslide, is not the same is competing in D1 GP!!! And yes, i am giving a lot of credit to d1 drifters, the same way as i am giving a lot of credit to tiff and any other professional racer. They are all good in their particular motorsport activity, but it does not necesseraly mean that they can perform in all the other sports as well!

The thing that impressed me the most among Drifters is when they all enter the corner at the same time and they drift side-by-side... I really wonder how they keep the car in the line, cuz when I try to do it in LFS, I just slide without any control whatsoever :lol:

adrianpike said:
Nellus said:
Whatever.... precision?

So you're saying an olympic-class swimmer should be able to go become an olympic-class sprinter without a problem? :dunno:

That's a bit different. More like an olympic class free-style swimmer could become an olympic class butterfly swimmer or something like that. Both the drifting and race driving involve cars and similar basic driving skills. I think Tiff could do it.

pdanev said:
in bestmotoring they did test if D1 drift guys can be fast on track. result: no. they did the opposite as well, and turned out that what the drifting D1 drivers do, is not a piece of cake for professional racers.
What about Nobuteru Taniguchi? :D

He's in D1 (HKS S15 Slivia) and JGTC (GT300 WedsSport Toyota Celica)

;)

D1 is more of an art than a sport. You don't get points for doing fast laps, but rather for the most outrageous performance.

Tiff is a professional race car driver. He knows every single driving technique in the book plus have the skill to utilize any one of them at will. Even though he can lap a circuit quickly, he isn't as skilled in the drifting art as D1 drivers. Those D1 drivers don't drive out of a book. It's as abstract as the colors of a late Picasso!

Did you happen to catch the latest Fifth Gear? He hoped in the vette, and was powersliding like a pro without any problems... Thats experience. :thumbsup:
I would be willing to put money on that if you gave Tiff a D1... no no no better yet! If you put a d1 drifter, and Tiff, in the same car, and told them to drift around a circuit, Tiff could keep up after a few laps of practice.
There's basic techniques invovled in anything, and from there you get better, this is a concept we all know and can agree on. We already know Tiff can powerslide anything RWD and AWD, he can Rally, not too mention his rich racing background. Therefore, he's got awesome car control.
So if you take this theory, and apply to that situation, I really cannot see how Tiff wouldn't be able to drift at a high level. Naturally it would take some practice, but in Tiff's case, not much practice.

Drifting looks impressive but there is no skill involved. The cars' suspensions are set up to go sideways. Just like a Nascar race cars suspension is set up to turn left. And like Nascar, the drift drivers have no special abilities. Comparing a real race driver to a drifter!!! Give your head a shake!!! Watch a World Rally driver go sideways at 120 mph on ice, between trees. on a one lane forest road ,while he listens to his co-driver shout instructions for the next three corners, as he checks his instrument cluster, and adjusts his brake bias simultaneously. Then you will realise how LAME drifting is.