I want a manual!

I laughed in my coworker's face when he told me that the tires for his S2000 were $300 apiece. I bought both my summer and my winter tires for about $360 a set, shipped :lol:

Hmmm...what size tires does the S2000 use?

My 225/45/17's are $140 a piece, but only because they are the Continental ExtremeDWS. There are cheapo Falken's for $80, but I'm not making that mistake again. When I put those on the old car I burned through them in less than 6 months (and no, it wasn't the car's fault - alignment was good, and the Goodyears I put after that lasted 10,000 and still looked brand new when I sold the car)

I need (yes, need) a manual, but have no monies to act on it. :( I've pretty much resigned myself to the fact that I'm going to stall my brains out when I finally do find a job/enough change in the couch cushions...which is why I'd really like a Miata. Parts are cheap. Everything is cheap. I wanted to punch a few Miata owners when they said what their tires cost compared to the Lulzcer's. Yep. Punch.

There's no backseat, but I'd like to keep the Lulzcer...just in case I destroy the Miata with awesome stupid.
Manual's easy, my fiancee who is not a car person at all and had a license for only a couple of months picked it up in about a week, well enough to drive in any case.
You think that's bad? Tires for my Viper will be $1800 for a set of 4! ($500 each for the rears, $400 for the fronts)
Yeah but Viper is a supercar in a sense, an S2000 is a simple ass roadster. Hell I don't even know what kind of tires he uses on that car, the ones I put on the Audi were about $120 a piece or so and they were 235/40R18, basically stock width on a 350Z, can't imagine a torqueless wonder like S2K needing bigger tires.

I laughed in my coworker's face when he told me that the tires for his S2000 were $300 apiece. I bought both my summer and my winter tires for about $360 a set, shipped :lol:
Again with the punching. I feel like punching.

Again with the punching. I feel like punching.

Assuming you will be around relatives this Thanksgiving, things won't be getting better.

Assuming you will be around relatives this Thanksgiving, things won't be getting better.
Of course she'll be around relatives tomorrow - that's why she feels like punching in the first place! ;)

Tires for my car are actually pretty reasonable for a performance car with 18" wheels - starting at $580 for a set of 4. But if my car had the Track Pack with the 19" wheels I would be spending at least another $200 on top of that. Luckily, the original owner of my car was cheap - he ordered the 3.73 rear axle package, which gives you the short gearing and brakes of the Track Pack but keeps the stock wheels and all season tires.

Of course she'll be around relatives tomorrow - that's why she feels like punching in the first place! ;)

Tires for my car are actually pretty reasonable for a performance car with 18" wheels - starting at $580 for a set of 4. But if my car had the Track Pack with the 19" wheels I would be spending at least another $200 on top of that. Luckily, the original owner of my car was cheap - he ordered the 3.73 rear axle package, which gives you the short gearing and brakes of the Track Pack but keeps the stock wheels and all season tires.

Dang, that's basically what I payed for Eagle GTs a few weeks ago on my Accord.

Dang, that's basically what I payed for Eagle GTs a few weeks ago on my Accord.
What wheels you got on it? The tires I was talking about were Eagle GTs as well...
EDIT: Just checked tire rack and it looks like prices went up... Guess oil prices are driving up tire pries :(

Last edited:
What wheels you got on it? The tires I was talking about were Eagle GTs as well...
EDIT: Just checked tire rack and it looks like prices went up... Guess oil prices are driving up tire pries :(

Oil is currently down. It's increased regulatory costs that are kicking in.

Hmmm...what size tires does the S2000 use?

My 225/45/17's are $140 a piece, but only because they are the Continental ExtremeDWS. There are cheapo Falken's for $80, but I'm not making that mistake again. When I put those on the old car I burned through them in less than 6 months (and no, it wasn't the car's fault - alignment was good, and the Goodyears I put after that lasted 10,000 and still looked brand new when I sold the car)
That's because you have all-seasons. Good summer tires in that size are ~$160 and let's face it, the S2000 and Miata deserve good tires.

That's because you have all-seasons. Good summer tires in that size are ~$160 and let's face it, the S2000 and Miata deserve good tires.

Ahh...completely forgot about that aspect.

nothing to really laugh at, he's obviously using bigger and more expensive brand tires than you, his choice. Probably running larger than stock aftermarket rims too.

I'm going the cheapest 'decent' summer performane wheels with the Hankook Ventus Evo V12s, fronts are 245/40/18 and rears are 275/35/18s, running about $160 each. Of course if you go with the factory chosen Michelin Pilot Sports...its easily double that.

Last edited:
nothing to really laugh at, he's obviously using bigger and more expensive brand tires than you, his choice. Probably running larger than stock aftermarket rims too.

I'm going the cheapest 'decent' summer performane wheels with the Hankook Ventus Evo V12s, fronts are 245/40/18 and rears are 275/35/18s, running about $160 each. Of course if you go with the factory chosen Michelin Pilot Sports...its easily double that.
Bingo. Stock S2000 tires (bridgestones, I think) are ridiculously overpriced. Another friend with an S2000 bought Star Specs (265 in the rear; 245 or so in the front) for much less than stock tires cost. Still, my dinky little bicycle tires cost less than half of his and he still has a real tough time outrunning me.

Well the S2000 has skinny front tires (215/45R17) and wider rear tires (245/40R17), and if he got Yokohomas in that size it would be close to $300 for the rears. If he got wider wheels, he'd easily be able to find $300 tires.

Rumor and hearsay is that the 500 Abarth might come in under $20k. This car makes me want to make a brand new purchase from Chrysler and that's an accomplishment.

fiat-500-arbath-la.jpg

It's so wrong... but I don't care.

(been sick all weekend so no test driving has happened yet :()

The Mini Cooper S starts at ~$24K so if they price the Abarth under $20k, that's quite the undercutting. Then again the base 500 is already $4k off the price of the standard Mini Cooper so there is a good chance of that happening.