• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

I want my $15 back!

They took the tax off of blank media off a while back, although the London Drugs here still charge it. :censored: They probably didn't take the levy off of MP3 players until now.

Actually, funny story... I bought some blank MiniDiscs at a London Drugs in Vancouver. It came up as being more than what was marked so I asked the cashier why it was showing up more expensive than what was marked on the shelf. She proceeded to give me their standard blurb about the blank media levy. I had just finished doing quite a bit of reading about the blank media levy and started to get in an argue with her. I pointed out that the levy had been dropped long ago and demanded to know where my money was going. She had absolutely no clue what I was talking about and just looked sort of stunned. I eventually realized that I was arguing over less than a dollar and had made myself look like a major geek in front of a bunch of people. I just said "whatever" and left. :lol:

... But if it happens again... :evil:

zenon said:
They took the tax off of blank media off a while back, although the London Drugs here still charge it. :censored: They probably didn't take the levy off of MP3 players until now.

Actually, funny story... I bought some blank MiniDiscs at a London Drugs in Vancouver. It came up as being more than what was marked so I asked the cashier why it was showing up more expensive than what was marked on the shelf. She proceeded to give me their standard blurb about the blank media levy. I had just finished doing quite a bit of reading about the blank media levy and started to get in an argue with her. I pointed out that the levy had been dropped long ago and demanded to know where my money was going. She had absolutely no clue what I was talking about and just looked sort of stunned. I eventually realized that I was arguing over less than a dollar and had made myself look like a major geek in front of a bunch of people. I just said "whatever" and left. :lol:

... But if it happens again... :evil:

:lol: That poor girl....knowing you, you presented your arguments with a thesis and 3-5 supporting points, and summed it up with a proper conclusion to boot.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Good 'ol Zenon :thumbsup:

^ Yep, I did actually... :blush:

In other news though, all this talk about the blank media levy got me interested again, so I started doing some reading. It seems like the blank media levy is back. As far as I can tell it was repealed mid-December (when I was buying the MiniDics), but has since been put back in place. They are also in the process of appealing the ruling over MP3 players. :?

That doesn't change the fact that stores like Futureshop refuse to cooperate with the CPCC (Canadian Private Copyright Collective) and simply do not charge their customers the levy on recordable media.

Another point of interest: the CPCC has collected over $87 million in levies. The money is obviously supposed to be used to compensate record company's losses due to P2P and copied media; however, the CPCC has only transferred $26 million to record companies. Someone is getting very very rich somewhere in the middle. :censored:

That is so completely retarded. Taxing an item because it could possibly somehow maybe be used with illegal items? :roll:

Do you want to know what is retarded ? As of 2007 we are supposed to pay licensce fees on computers, because it will be possible to watch public brodcasting on them. Public brodcasters built themselves big internet sites with media streams and whatnot, only to be able to claim fees later on.

Haha.

God I love this country. Taxes ike that would never fly. Then again, we barely fund PBS, so...

But when it all sums up, no one can control the internet. Bit torrent is the latest to prove my point. You just can't control such a vast and complex network. I never payed for anything on the internet, and I got 10GB of music, and 30Gb of films currently in my collection. Got them all FREE! :tease:

zenon said:
^ Yep, I did actually... :blush:

In other news though, all this talk about the blank media levy got me interested again, so I started doing some reading. It seems like the blank media levy is back. As far as I can tell it was repealed mid-December (when I was buying the MiniDics), but has since been put back in place. They are also in the process of appealing the ruling over MP3 players. :?

That doesn't change the fact that stores like Futureshop refuse to cooperate with the CPCC (Canadian Private Copyright Collective) and simply do not charge their customers the levy on recordable media.

Another point of interest: the CPCC has collected over $87 million in levies. The money is obviously supposed to be used to compensate record company's losses due to P2P and copied media; however, the CPCC has only transferred $26 million to record companies. Someone is getting very very rich somewhere in the middle. :censored:

Someone is getting very rich. Figures that the government is screwing everybody over once again.

Viper007Bond said:
Haha.

God I love this country. Taxes ike that would never fly. Then again, we barely fund PBS, so...

Yeah, your country with stupid things like MPAA RIAA, suing people, making you hide your IP, shit in your pants, close torrent sites and make the rest of the world live with that...

yeah...