"I wanted to see if Europ could laugh at itself"

predator101

Car(s)
Toyota Yaris, Toyota Corolla
So, Europeans, will you laugh after reading this???

Another reason for me to thank God I didn't accept my visa for Europe.

The Czech EU presidency has apologised for an art installation it commissioned that lampoons national stereotypes.

Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra apologised directly to Bulgaria, which has formally complained over its depiction as a toilet in the art work.

He said the image, at the European Council building in Brussels, would be removed if Sofia insisted.

David Cerny, the Czech artist behind the work, admits misleading officials over his intentions with the project.

He said he had "wanted to find out if Europe is able to laugh at itself".

The Czech Republic thought it had commissioned work from 27 European artists for the Entropa display, which was installed at the weekend to mark the start of its six-month presidency.

But it turned out the work - an eight-tonne mosaic resembling a snap-out plastic modelling kit - was entirely completed by Mr Cerny and two associates.

'No censorship'

At the official unveiling of Entropa on Thursday, the artwork "came to life", emitting noises and flashing lights, to general applause - a sound not often heard in the EU Council building in Brussels, says the BBC's Oana Lungescu in Brussels.

Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra apologised to anyone who was offended by the work.

A close-up of the Entropa installation which shows Bulgaria as a basic toilet, Brussels, Belgium, 13 January 2009
I apologise to Bulgaria and its government if it feels offended
Czech Deputy Prime Minister Alexandr Vondra

In pictures: Entropa installation
Mardell blog: But is it art?

"I apologise to Bulgaria and its government if it feels offended, and I think we are certainly ready to engage in a dialogue," he said, quoted by the AFP news agency.

Sofia summoned the Czech ambassador on Wednesday to complain.

"If you stand by your request to remove it," he told a Bulgarian diplomat at the ceremony, "of course we will certainly do that".

But he said the rest of the installation would stay.

"We wanted to prove that 20 years after the fall of the Iron Curtain, there is no censorship," said the former Czech dissident.

But he refused to share the platform with the artist, who insisted his piece was in the European tradition of satire, like Monty Python and France's Les Guignols.

He also denied that the Lego entry for Denmark was a representation of one of the controversial cartoons of the Prophet Muhammad that appeared in 2005.

As well as portraying Bulgaria as a toilet, Entropa depicts Romania as a Dracula theme-park and France as a country on strike.

The Netherlands is shown as a series of minarets submerged by a flood - a possible reference to the nation's simmering religious tensions.

Germany is shown as a network of motorways vaguely resembling a swastika, while the UK - criticised by some for being one of the EU's most Eurosceptic members - is absent from Europe altogether

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7830498.stm

Yeah, I already posted about it in the other EU thread. Here's my original post with some more details:
Has anyone heard about this yet?
http://entertainment.timesonline.co.uk/tol/arts_and_entertainment/visual_arts/article5512107.ece

https://pic.armedcats.net/h/h0/h0nzik/2009/01/15/KOT286cdd_MDF43735.JPG

I think it's generally pretty cool, even though it might be a bit too offensive to some countries, the themes selected for some countries seem a bit random and the fact that it wasn't actually made by local artist makes it even a bit more offensive. Then again the fact that it was a hoax makes it even a bit cooler.

More pics in this link:
http://ihned.cz/115-32782980-492010-0-338530-000000_d-54#fg

Oh, and here's the brochure with the faked artists' identities:
http://www.eu2009.cz/scripts/file.php?id=8282&down=yes

This kinda reminds me of those Muhammad comics a few years ago - designed to be offensive to everyone and then played off as a joke.

I won't say anything further on the matter, as it's best ignored.

So Bulgarians can't laugh at themselves. Rest of Europe can.

HAHA! I think it's a great piece of art and those who feel "offended" (when did we start using that word? 2002-ish?) should shut up and go look at something else.

I am however very intrigued by the OP, who by the way he uses his question marks and subsequent thanks to a mysterious deity makes it clear that he is "offended", yet he is not even european.

Last edited:
Bulgaria needs to get off it. Even the Germans had a laugh about the road-nazi thing, and that's a very, very touche subject there.

I don't like the Dracula myths being projected onto our country, but I stopped caring years ago. And if it brings more tourists to our country, then so be it.

Well, the point is that the toilet does not have a seat - it's one of those 'Turkish' toilets. In one of the interviews, the guy said he's only been to Bulgaria as a child and that was one of the few things that stuck in his mind. We don't have these types of toilets over here and are less than happy having to encounter them on our holidays. But then seeing one in Bulgaria a few decades ago is not that striking, seeing one in a decent looking restaurant in France or Italy today is more shocking and not rare.

I don't like the Dracula myths being projected onto our country, but I stopped caring years ago. And if it brings more tourists to our country, then so be it.

I think that's the point of the Dracula theme park idea, to show Romania has just become one giant vampire-themed tourist attraction.

According to The Times,

Cerny did not create an entry for Britain because he said the country did not want to be part of Europe.

Shame that.

Otherwise brilliant!

This kinda reminds me of those Muhammad comics a few years ago - designed to be offensive to everyone and then played off as a joke. .

In what way were they designed to be offensive? They were comics... :?

while I find anybody offending EU types hilarious I have to say as a piece of art its, well, shit. My dog could do better than that.