Ownership Verified: I was looking for a new car. Instead I got a horse...

I suppose I could understand indicator regulations, but why don't the Euro GT's have the little hood vents?

16_gt.jpg

Pedpro regulations.

Also, those vents are used on a package here in the States that put repeaters out in those vents, if I can recall correctly.

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/2016-ford-mustang-new-model-year-packages-and-options

Apparently, it was axed on the 2017 model.

Yup, that was 2016 only.

Never noticed.. potentially pedestrian safety regulations. Which is what changed hoods in the past years.. and hood angles, heights, slopes, space between the engine and the hood.. all those..

Isn't that just stupid? Rather than ruining automobiles how about just either; a) not hitting people by accident by paying attention or b) stop stupid people / cyclists from being in the street to get hit? :D

Actually I'm glad I don't have those hood vents. Don't like them :p

Really? Those flimsy little pieces of plastic make that much of a difference?

I don't actually know, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the underlying structure and various differences that don't support the vents.

I don't actually know, but I'm guessing it has more to do with the underlying structure and various differences that don't support the vents.

Ahh, I was also assuming it had something to do with pedestrian safety, but those vents didn't seem substantial enough to me. I'm pretty sure there have been numerous European sports cars with similar hood details after all, like some Jaaaaaags.

Isn't that just stupid? Rather than ruining automobiles how about just either; a) not hitting people by accident by paying attention

Don't forget it's a Mustang we're talking about here :lol:

Holy fucking shit. I came here looking for/expecting a Tiguan update but damn. No offence, but this was...erm...unexpected.

It looks terrific and I agree with JCE, hearing people's interesting backstories about their car choices makes it that much more interesting.

Clearly, this is more than a just a car to you, it's your "Fuck it, imma do me!" moment of irrationality. Enjoy it.

Ahh, I was also assuming it had something to do with pedestrian safety, but those vents didn't seem substantial enough to me. I'm pretty sure there have been numerous European sports cars with similar hood details after all, like some Jaaaaaags.

Might be that they have to certify every hood variant for pedestrian safety and they only wanted to do one? Just speculating.

I am still waiting for the footage of the hidden camera from the Ringmeet campsite MacGuffin had to have set up to capture the astonished faces of the other attendants.

Awesome choice of car, and really, completely unexpected. Have fun with it!

Thank you to anyone who congratulated and/or +rep'ed me - I really appreciate it :D

You were one of the few that was discussing back and forth about how the mustang is crap compared to Europeans and nothing is better than a euro car. This was in the 2015 mustang thread... So, I guessed that, on the forums you didn't like it but, once you saw it in person you were either envious or surprised at his choice.

The previous Mustang was indeed crap by European standards. I would have never bought it with my own money.

The new model, however, is a completely different league, especially with the leather interior. I mean yes, if you take out a ruler and measure all the gaps in the body, it will probably still be a little bit less perfect than an Audi or a Mercedes. But I had enough rentals to know that there are more important things to a car. And the most important one is that you can bond with it. Small flaws form the character. Perfection is boring.

And truth to be told, the interior doesn't rattle, it doesn't fizz and doesn't make any other noises that are tell-tale signs for a suboptimal build quality. Truth to be told, I had rentals from BMW and Mercedes that were worse in that sector.

So whenever someone tells you that they wouldn't buy the current Mustang because it's not up there with German build quality standards, I call bullshit. To me that always sounds like "Oh, I was too cowardly to buy one myself and now I envy you and try talking it bad."

Which of course, only makes them look like dorks.

You were one of the few that was discussing back and forth about how the mustang is crap compared to Europeans and nothing is better than a euro car. This was in the 2015 mustang thread... So, I guessed that, on the forums you didn't like it but, once you saw it in person you were either envious or surprised at his choice.
Pretty sure you have the wrong guy, there....

It wasn't mitchi?

Just realized theres no strut tower brace. I thought all Performance pack Mustangs were supposed to get one

khuqK8e.png

EDIT: Turns out its a Euro thing. Crash safety regulations or something stupid.

Last edited:
So here are some pics I took with the Canon at Ringmeet. Will probably take some more during the week.

36421127702_b32da2729d_o.jpg

36192840860_ceb70148d1_o.jpg

35754408454_651fb26433_o.jpg

36543242446_90bf39a724_o.jpg

Just realized theres no strut tower brace. I thought all Performance pack Mustangs were supposed to get one

khuqK8e.png

EDIT: Turns out its a Euro thing. Crash safety regulations or something stupid.

Yep, as I mentioned, part of the pedestrian safety BS and the space between the engine and the hood in case of an impacting idiot. Not sure how the aftermarket handles that, but so far I haven't heard anything about retrofits being illegal if they come with T?V certificates.. It is also the reason many modern OEM struts are circling around the high points of the engine, usually via the firewall or atleast towards it, and stay lower that way.

On the other hand, the effect of such a strut is a subject of debates. Apparently you hardly feel a difference.