iBook G4 help

andyhui01

Forum Addict
Car(s)
00' Subaru Forester GT
So my normal PC kinda started crapping itself so its back to my trusty iBook G4 for now, I did an upgrade to 10.4.1 and for some reason, I think I didn't install the power management bit or something for the laptop because it will only run with the AC Adaptor plugged in, the entire screen will turn dark if I pull it out and come back on when I plug it in (Battery is in the laptop, checked that already :p)

Any of the mac users ever encountered this?

The only thing I can think of is that under power management you need to check the "Battery Profile" (This is usually available from a drop down menu which is probably set to AC Power when plugged in with the adapter). Once you've selected battery then you should be able to see what the default brightness setting is set too for that profile.

I'm guessing it's slid all the way to the left (or right) to whatever the darkest setting is (which IIRC turns the backlight/display off). Just slide it up some and then save the changes. At that point try pulling out the adapter.

Good Luck!

ooh... thanks alot, it was kinda related to the brightness, for some reason I set the display to turn off in 0min if its running on battery.. lol

Seems like a completely useless slider option, to turn the screen off immediately after switching to batteries.

The only reason I can think of is if you were running something (like a download) with the laptop unattended and you wanted to maximize battery life in case of power failure. I guess its good to have the option but I don't think you'd ever really need it.

^this happened after I upgraded to 10.4.1 last year and I thought I installed a desktop version with no laptop battery power management function... lol.

The only reason I can think of is if you were running something (like a download) with the laptop unattended and you wanted to maximize battery life in case of power failure. I guess its good to have the option but I don't think you'd ever really need it.

With Expose you can set up a hot corner on your display if you put your mouse there it immediately turns off the monitor (or prevents screen saver) if you wish. I checked in my 10.5.2 under power management, and the smallest value you can select is 1 minute.

Not saying it made a lot of sense, it was the only thing I could think of. Only other reason is perhaps they program a "slider" and use the same one for all functions, hence the same time values?

I use hot corners; screen off, show all windows, show all program windows and show desktop.