Icetrack meet 2018. Time to ditch Lapland

Not really. I need to get a round of replies from several tracks and cabins, to see what our options are. I'm also wondering how long we need a bigger place to stay for. Is there enough people arriving on Thursday say (for skiing, snowmobiling, sightseeing etc), to get the place for 3 nights..?

One suggestion would be week 7 and the weekend of 16.-18.2. That way we would be avoiding some of the school holiday traffic, as winter holidays start from week 8 and onward.

Now snowmobiling you can definitely put me down for! We would likely arrive Thursday and leave Monday so we get three full days and change there. Do let us have firm dates soonest.

I would say Wednesday would be a better bet for the flight, unless you can find a early morning flight (or flying straight north). Those who are planning on doing something on Friday will probably use whole Thursday driving..

I'm extremely interested whenever there's a possibility to go to Lapland. And in the Spring, the drive from Helsinki to Kittil? is a mere 10 hours, I speak with experience ;)

Regarding the dates: I prefer early February as the closer we get to March, the more I'm needed at home arranging stuff for a family event.

Just drive via Sweden, the planned destination is close enough to the border?
Just checked, it's about 2500 km one way from my place to Kittil?. That's a 3-day journey each way. A little too far.

Flying to Helsinki and then drive with someone is still a 1000 km drive.

Damn.... :(

Just checked, it's about 2500 km one way from my place to Kittil?. That's a 3-day journey each way. A little too far.

Flying to Helsinki and then drive with someone is still a 1000 km drive.

Damn.... :(

Pah, 1? day from Germany, half a day from Helsinki.. :p

But that's why the flying option is there. Useable airports further north are Kittil? and Oulu. In theory Rovaniemi as well, but that's not on the optimal route for anyone, I think.

Last edited:
And if you want cheap flights, Norwegian flies from Helsinki to northern Finland. Tickets cost a mere 25 euros per person at cheapest.

Where precisely are we likely to be for the ice track stuff and which would be the optimal airport to fly into?

Not wishing to sound impatient but flights aren't likely to be cheap and we want to secure the best possible price and optimal times etc.

Last edited:
Thinking of joining. Would be bringing RWD car. Plans will be made on short-ish notice.

Now you have my interest. I know nothing about typical Finnish cuisine bar "eat one moose" and, at the risk of sounding big-headed, I've always had a knack for tasting a new dish and just from that one experience being able to recreate a decent facsimile back home at the first time of asking. It would be great to experience something traditionally Finnish then be able to reproduce it back home.

Signature Finnish dishes:

? Pizza
? Kebab
? Camping sausages burnt on the outside
? Clutch disc "pizza" heated on a CRT monitor
? Pea soup straight from the tin

All those long winter nights in front of log fires and that's the best you can come up with? :dunno:

In that case I will be bringing required spices and making a moose and cloudberry tikka massala. Or something.

In actuality, I'd suggest salmon soup, (rein)deer stew with lingonberries and mashed potatoes, or Karelian stew.

Nom!

Salmon soup sounds good. I'd try moose tikka masala though...

In actuality, I'd suggest salmon soup, (rein)deer stew with lingonberries and mashed potatoes, or Karelian stew.

Yeah, the best reindeer stew with lingonberries & mashed potatoes I've eaten can be found at Myllyn ?ij? in the center of Levi, just a few reindeer's pisses ("poronkusema" is an actual Finnish distance of about 7,5km :p) North of Kittil?. That's a place worth stopping at.

I'm extremely interested whenever there's a possibility to go to Lapland. And in the Spring, the drive from Helsinki to Kittil? is a mere 10 hours, I speak with experience ;)

Regarding the dates: I prefer early February as the closer we get to March, the more I'm needed at home arranging stuff for a family event.

If anything though, we're heading the opposite way. While winter has been pretty much over already by March here in south for several years, quite a few tracks north only start setting up their tracks around then, as track use and day length is apparently not feasible before that. I'll keep checking for alternatives, but at least my first pick for Saturday track fun won't be able to confirm their track situation until November/December..

Where precisely are we likely to be for the ice track stuff and which would be the optimal airport to fly into?

Not wishing to sound impatient but flights aren't likely to be cheap and we want to secure the best possible price and optimal times etc.

Pah, 1? day from Germany, half a day from Helsinki.. :p

But that's why the flying option is there. Useable airports further north are Kittil? and Oulu. In theory Rovaniemi as well, but that's not on the optimal route for anyone, I think.

:p And regarding prices, I've seen 110-120eur prices London-Helsinki. There aren't all that many direct flights north, but as mentioned, some commuter routes like Oulu can be found cheaper than train fares for same route. Not too bad a price, I think.