Signature Finnish dishes:

? Pizza
? Kebab
? Camping sausages burnt on the outside
? Clutch disc "pizza" heated on a CRT monitor
? Pea soup straight from the tin

Sounds delicious.

- - - Updated - - -

Thinking of joining. Would be bringing RWD car. Plans will be made on short-ish notice.

Weigh the rear of it down with a few crates of Paulaner :p

Weigh the rear of it down with a few crates of Paulaner :p
Let's see how it all turns out. If I come, I'll come with one of my buddies from Berlin (not only, but also, so we can share driving duties). Given fuel prices it's most likely cheaper to go through Poland and the Baltics instead of Sweden. And I learnt from public that if you spend 60 bucks in booze on the ferry's duty free shop, you get a free ferry trip as a bonus!

Let's see how it all turns out. If I come, I'll come with one of my buddies from Berlin (not only, but also, so we can share driving duties). Given fuel prices it's most likely cheaper to go through Poland and the Baltics instead of Sweden. And I learnt from public that if you spend 60 bucks in booze on the ferry's duty free shop, you get a free ferry trip as a bonus!

It was all of 100 euro :lol:

If anyone is driving up from UK/Belgium/Germany/Denmark/Sweden they're welcome to join the Brit banger convoy I'm arranging. We're not going to be doing massively long days as we want to do stupid stuff along the way so our progress won't be quite up to DaBoom's expectations ;)

Stupid stuff includes (but is not limited to) attempting to build IKEA furniture in the back of the car while someone else is driving...

Thinking of possibly joining, given that my MX-5 purchase works out until then. Just how bad an idea is an NC MX-5 with a driver with very little experience driving manuals on a trip like this? :)

Which route would you take, if you do it?

Thinking of possibly joining, given that my MX-5 purchase works out until then. Just how bad an idea is an NC MX-5 with a driver with very little experience driving manuals on a trip like this? :)

'tis an excellent idea! MX-5 is a great car to learn some sideways action and control, very forgiving. And as ice track will be constantly slippery it's logical to learn on and lack of grip (of non-Dr kind) will keep speeds very moderate, even if when you overcook it. Manual/auto isn't much of an issue, although manual will be easier for learning.

Last edited:
So, everybody from Germany buys a cheap MX-5 to drive to Finland and the finns decide who got the best deal? :D

I already have an expensive MX-5, but I think this trip is a little more than I'm willing to put it through.

Cars are for driving..

Which route would you take, if you do it?

Google suggests going via Denmark and eastern coast of Sweden. It's a long-ass drive, ~2600km for me from Frankfurt. Maybe a ferry to Helsinki/Turku or further north (Oulu? Do ferries even go there?) could be a good idea.

'tis an excellent idea! MX-5 is a great car to learn some sideways action and control, very forgiving. And as ice track will be constantly slippery it's logical to learn on and lack of grip (of non-Dr kind) will keep speeds very moderate, even [stroke]if[/stroke] when you overcook it. Manual/auto isn't much of an issue, although manual will be easier for learning.

Sounds good. Rather optimistic, but good :) My MX-5 will definitely be a manual.

For what it's worth, I've clicked some checkboxes in Doodle. Left the "Skiing" one empty - I'd love to, but no way I'm bringing my skiing stuff on this long a roadtrip in an MX-5. It will be full enough as it is, I think. Will need some more planning before I fully commit, and the MX-5 needs to be purchased, which should happen soon if all goes to plan - but in general, I would very much like to take part.

Google suggests going via Denmark and eastern coast of Sweden. It's a long-ass drive, ~2600km for me from Frankfurt. Maybe a ferry to Helsinki/Turku or further north (Oulu? Do ferries even go there?) could be a good idea.
You would basically drive through my back yard so give me a shout, even if I won't be able to make it or fly in later or something. ;)

I'm still trying to get a ton of things out of the way before I can commit to anything, I like the idea of joining up with the UK group though as I already know most of you and it would be great to meet the rest. :)

Very disappointed in the shitbox selection here though, pitiful. Not a single Sierra for sale, no decent cheap Alfas and there's no way I'm buying a BMW with the ditch-finder reputation they have. :lol:

I just saw that there are actually direct flights between D?sseldorf and Kittil?. :blink: With "Germania". Very trust-inspiring.

But a direct flight for the trip home is only possible on Sunday morning, if I want to stay longer, it's a trip with two changeovers. Correction: one stopover in Ivola, one transfer in Helsinki. Not too bad actually.

Anyway, I fished the destination airport Kittil? from page one of this thread. Where will the actual meet take place? Is Kittil? still the airport to choose?

I just saw that there are actually direct flights between D?sseldorf and Kittil?. :blink: With "Germania". Very trust-inspiring.
Germania has been in service since 30 years so they might be allright.

But a direct flight for the trip home is only possible on Sunday morning, if I want to stay longer, it's a trip with two changeovers. Correction: one stopover in Ivola, one transfer in Helsinki. Not too bad actually.
Or just stay from Thursday to Thursday and make a proper winter vacation out of it. :p

I just saw that there are actually direct flights between D?sseldorf and Kittil?.
:blink: With "Germania". Very trust-inspiring.

Anyway, I fished the destination airport Kittil? from page one of this thread. Where will the actual meet take place? Is Kittil? still the airport to choose?

Not sure yet, as it's down to track selection (and tracks that have replied can't confirm anything yet). But as I've mentioned before, Oulu or Kittil? are the best bet.

Last edited:
I will also be driving from Vaasa, though flights to VAA are probably not exceedingly cheap compared to Oulu frinstance.

We are thinking about going through Estonia. Given that from Berlin it's only 60 kilometers until cheap Eastern Block fuel, it might make economic sense...