Icetrack meet 2018. Time to ditch Lapland

OK so looking at this a bit more seriously from my point of view and starting with a simple one - is it worth coming without a car? :p

I've never done any cold winter stuff before either so I don't have any winter gear, how serious do you all take it? I'm going to check back on the photos from last year but it looks like it could get expensive if I buy everything that is suggested for -10 to -15 temperatures while digging BMWs out of ditches.

Flights from Birmingham to Oulu via Helsinki are possible, around 330 Euros equivalent return which I would be prepared to eat. I still like the idea of buying a car but if I have to spend a fortune on clothing then it just won't be possible. Leave for me would be easy as we're a small team, leave refreshes in the new year so nobody books the following year generally and I can just call it now.

Surely Finns can lend you some thick clothing and gloves if that's the case :p

OK so looking at this a bit more seriously from my point of view and starting with a simple one - is it worth coming without a car? :p

Yeah, totally. There will be plenty of cars driving north. I've got this landboat with a 13L/100km figure, which I'd be happy to split 2-4 ways ;)

Last edited:
Well, I think the real question is: Will there be enough cars to drive, and will their owners let other people drive? ;) (I assume two yesses, but I think that's what Matt meant.)

Surely Finns can lend you some thick clothing and gloves if that's the case :p

I don't mind buying the stuff I just don't want to get carried away and spend a fortune. I don't normally feel the cold so I don't have much winter stuff. :D

Well, I think the real question is: Will there be enough cars to drive, and will their owners let other people drive? ;) (I assume two yesses, but I think that's what Matt meant.)

Yeah, totally. There will be plenty of cars driving north. I've got this landboat with a 13L/100km figure, which I'd be happy to split 2-4 ways ;)

Yeah that's what I was getting at, I don't expect people to hand over their cars to others but if that's generally the done thing then great. 13L/100km must be the LS400 right? Always wanted to drive one of those.

Upgrade my status from Curious to Tickled.

Last year there were two, eh, school cars of the RWD persuasion.

I'd love to join, either with my girlfriend or a passenger, possibly in the MX5.

My idea is to circle the Baltic sea again though, going up trough Sweden (it's that little bit more scenic!) and then down through the Baltics, possibly with two or three stops along the way.

I don't mind buying the stuff I just don't want to get carried away and spend a fortune. I don't normally feel the cold so I don't have much winter stuff.

Not much point in buying stuff then, is there. Spend your money more wisely and partake in ALL ACTIVITIES.

Upgrade my status from Curious to Tickled.

200.gif

Last edited:
Okay, I paid the advance.

In the next few days, I'll look for flights to Helsinki or Oulu.

Going by car would mean paying for four extra days of accomodation and provisions/meals, ferries, tolls, and about 200 litres of fuel. The fuel alone is more expensive than a return flight to Helsinki.

@ DaBoom: How is the sleeping gear situation in such a cabin? Do we need sleeping bags or something?

Going by car would mean paying for four extra days of accomodation and provisions/meals, ferries, tolls, and about 200 litres of fuel. The fuel alone is more expensive than a return flight to Helsinki.

The experience is worth it.

Just in case any of you choose to go through Denmark and need a place to sleep let me know, I may live a bit from your desired route but I have a guest bedroom you can stay in :)

Reactions: MWF
As well as grand touring fully loaded.

Still unconfirmed. I got two maybes, but one without a car (Karlos, who right now dalies a 1500? W126, not really roadtrip material) and one with a xDrive E60.

How is a beater Benz not roadtrip proof?

That's what I was thinking, about the best car for the purpose.

On meet related suggestions, should we eat one moose? My suggestion for dinners during the meet weekend would be to make food at the cabin from Thursday to Saturday and then eat some burgers in Oulu on Sunday. And we could offer proper traditional stuff in the form of reindeer and moose meat. Neither of them are the cheapest ingredients available of course, but still cheaper than restaurant dinner. And very much recommended.

EAT ONE MOOSE! I am in!

So I've made a decision and booked flights.

Arrival via FinnAir AY1392 DUS - HEL on Wednesday Jan. 24th at 15:10h.
Departure via FinnAir AY1391 HEL - DUS on Tuesday Jan. 30th at 07:40h.

MXM is so kind to provide shelter for the nights to Thursday and Tuesday and a seat for the drive up to the meet. Thank you. :)