ICH controller problem

MadCow809

Forum Addict
right... so my trusty P965-S board (third PC) has been acting funny for quite sometime now.

It seems like the onboard ICH controller (ICH8R) is completely buggered up since I can't use my USB devices properly. Not only that, its starting to effect the HDDs as well, with random self shutdowns and general I/O date error. But the biggest problem is that USB device will restart itself if I try and copy any files over 400mb onto the USB device.

So here is my question.. can I buy a PCI sata controller and fix that problem??

Has anyone else encountered any similar problems before? I'm thinking of doing a BIOS flash but not sure if it will fix the problem.

btw the board is DFI Infinity P965-S

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso
I don't think the PCI sata controller would fix the USB problems. Sounds like it might be new mobo time.

MadCow809

Forum Addict
I don't think the PCI sata controller would fix the USB problems. Sounds like it might be new mobo time.

sorry.. forgot to say that I'll be buying a PCI USb 2.0 Controller as well.

which means I won't be using the onboard ICH chipset at all.

Crazyjeeper

NickGyver
Car(s)
F150, CJ7, Mustang GT, Tenere, Griso
sorry.. forgot to say that I'll be buying a PCI USb 2.0 Controller as well.

which means I won't be using the onboard ICH chipset at all.

That would fix it. But how much more would it be to move to a new motherboard? You can get a very nice P45 for about 110.

MadCow809

Forum Addict
That would fix it. But how much more would it be to move to a new motherboard? You can get a very nice P45 for about 110.

PCI USB 2.0 controller is about $15

and SATA controller is around $25

But since all the reviews are quite crap, I don't want waste my time trying some sketchy hardwares.... I guess I'll just stick with the option of getting a new P45 mobo.