Iconic Engines

Mazderp's 4-rotors. Any of them. WANK.

A 4-rotor? To the best of my knowledge, Mazda never built a production 4-rotor engine. The biggest one was the 3-rotor in the Cosmo.

GM experimented with a 4-rotor Wankel in the Seventies, for a possible future Corvette, but they had too many problems with poor fuel economy and excessive oil consumption. Plus, Chevrolet figured that a mid-engined Corvette wouldn't sell as well as a front-engined car.

This is what they built:

I cannot help but notice that there is no mention of the BMW S14, which powered the E30 M3, including it's Group A versions.

A 4-rotor? To the best of my knowledge, Mazda never built a production 4-rotor engine.
They did. The 13J and the R26B
Ok, these were race engines...but supposedly the parts were available to the public.

Last edited:
On my way to work I saw a W?rtsila service car... an Astra estate :yawn: I'm sure it'd fail at transporting any spare part whatsoever :lol:

Ah crap! I was going to do a search, but I couldn't be arsed! :p

It was what someone posted in the Angular Thread about a Lotus Cortina engine, that made me think of the BDA.

Which just made me think of the Buick-Rover V8 engine that "the Leyland" put in lots of their crapmobiles. TG did a tribute piece about it.

Has the Captain posted that one yet, I'm not going to do a serarch for that either. :p

Ah crap! I was going to do a search, but I couldn't be arsed! :p

It was what someone posted in the Angular Thread about a Lotus Cortina engine, that made me think of the BDA.

Which just made me think of the Buick-Rover V8 engine that "the Leyland" put in lots of their crapmobiles. TG did a tribute piece about it.

Has the Captain posted that one yet, I'm not going to do a serarch for that either. :p

Rover V8 was mentioned in the second post! Lovely engine.

On my way to work I saw a W?rtsila service car... an Astra estate :yawn: I'm sure it'd fail at transporting any spare part whatsoever :lol:
A couple of years ago I met an engineer from W?rtsil?. We were in a sauna, I had a bit too many beers under and was telling him we should fit one of their engines in a car. Seemed like an excellent idea back then.. somehow he didn't contact me on the next day :D

Edit:
If someone doesn't know what's the problem with my brilliant idea:
Wartsila-Sulzer+RTA96-C.gif

Last edited:
Hey, now you're just nitpicking (as usual). :lol:

The OP never specified road cars.

Also, the 4G63T deserves many, many mentions. Lulz.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I met an engineer from W?rtsil?. We were in a sauna, I had a bit too many beers under and was telling him we should fit one of their engines in a car. Seemed like an excellent idea back then.. somehow he didn't contact me on the next day :D

Edit:
If someone doesn't know what's the problem with my brilliant idea:
Wartsila-Sulzer+RTA96-C.gif

Is that a turbocharger in the rear right?

Put it on a train, and you'll leave any TGV in the smoke :p

Is that a turbocharger in the rear right?
Yes it is :p

Wartsila-SulzerRTA96-C.jpg

It's the largest piston engine in the world. 25,480 liters, 108,920 hp at 102 rpm and weights 2300 tons.

VW 2,9 VR6 AAA because

[video=youtube;Ztc5WR-B8oY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ztc5WR-B8oY[/video]

Put it on a train, and you'll leave any TGV in the smoke break the train :p

FTFY :p

It's about as heavy as entire freight trains. You'd need to spread it over about six of these handsome brutes:

32 axles, only one made :lol: used to transport nuclear stuff. Nerdy shit

Last edited:
Re: Iconic Engines

How about the bastion of American circle/oval track racing and (iirc) the winningest engine at Indy.
This engine came in many displacements, it was boosted and restricted and regulated out of favor before F1 even consider turbos. It's also sexy as hell.

The Miller Offy
engine-motart-2.jpg

How about the bastion of American circle/oval track racing and (iirc) the winningest engine at Indy.
This engine came in many displacements, it was boosted and restricted and regulated out of favor before F1 even consider turbos. It's also sexy as hell.

The Miller Offy

That, to me, is one of the few racing engines to achieve iconic status - along with the Chrysler Hemi and the Cosworth DFV.

To me, to be iconic means that the engine is automatically associated with something - SBCs with Corvettes and Camaros, the Ford Windsor v8 with Mustang, Colombo V12s with Ferrari, rotaries with Mazda, etc.

I will always associate the Hemi with NHRA drag racing, the DFV with Formula 1, and the Offenhauser with Indy cars - even though the NHRA Hemi bears little resemblance to the Chrysler original, and the Offy and DFV have long been retired.

800px-1989ToyotaHiluxSURF4x4-engine.jpg

What about the 22R Toyota Engine, powerplant of the most un-killable truck......

....in the world?