Ownership Verified: ID# - Where we are going, we don't need alloys...alloys added

matyas

Car(s)
1981 Mercedes 280SE
Haven't posted in a while here...There have been a couple cars since the Mercedes (a horrible Volvo and a great Corolla, which I still have), but the latest addition to the garage is the ID3 Pure Performance (58kWh, 200hp) I got as a lease car from work, which should be with us for the next 4-years or so. Having gotten the car beginning of May, it now has 11k km, so we have driven it quite a bit. We live in the countryside, nearest store is 5km, and most of my friends live around 60km away near Helsinki. The car has a few extras (such as white interior), but pretty minimalistic otherwise, with no dual-zone A/C or heads-up display.

This is the first electric drivetrain car for me, and I have to say I am sold. Regenerative braking, no worrying about unnecessary wear when moving the car a few meters, A/C running for the dog without engine running - I hope there is is no going back.

IMG_20210720_201643235_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210720_201715903_HDR.jpg

IMG_20210720_201734104_HDR.jpg

Besides what everyone has said already, a few notes below (in no particular order):

1. This rates pretty close to my 80s S-class in terms of silence and relaxation. Significant improvement from 2005 Corolla. Silence is quite an expensive thing on Finnish roads, so I am impressed. Space is also great, and we have never missed having a frunk. My fiancee (not a car enthusiast) has said that this is too easy to drive, and it is indeed very relaxing on longer trips. On the down-side, finding the limit on twisty roads is a bit scary. We are doing the speedlimit easily in places where the Corolla was quite scary at the same speed.
2. The range is decent, and consumption is low. I am quite sure that electric cars will be the new diesels in Finland. The running costs of the car are really low, and should be very appealing for anyone doing sub 300km round trips on a daily basis. On countryside roads 60-80km/h, the consumption has been around 12,5kWh/100km. Which is around 1-3€ / 100km, depending on where you charge.
3. The app works 50% of the time, which is pretty poor. Connection to the car is sometimes off, and you cannot locate the car through the app. Also functionality is pretty bad in general.
4. The car forgets the drive mode every time (this is annoying). I drive with B (regenerative breaking) most of the time, and having to constantly switch from D to B is irritating. Lane assist functions need to be turned off every time, but I guess that's a safety/insurance thing.
5. Matrix lights are a must - by far the best feature. I think a lot of deer / foxes have survived thanks to the good lights.

Proofpic:

IMG_20210720_202202969_HDR.jpg

nice car, although i am not fond of the white steering wheel.
Do you have a charge point at home?

Besides what everyone has said already, a few notes below (in no particular order):

1. This rates pretty close to my 80s S-class in terms of silence and relaxation. Significant improvement from 2005 Corolla. Silence is quite an expensive thing on Finnish roads, so I am impressed. Space is also great, and we have never missed having a frunk. My fiancee (not a car enthusiast) has said that this is too easy to drive, and it is indeed very relaxing on longer trips. On the down-side, finding the limit on twisty roads is a bit scary. We are doing the speedlimit easily in places where the Corolla was quite scary at the same speed.
2. The range is decent, and consumption is low. I am quite sure that electric cars will be the new diesels in Finland. The running costs of the car are really low, and should be very appealing for anyone doing sub 300km round trips on a daily basis. On countryside roads 60-80km/h, the consumption has been around 12,5kWh/100km. Which is around 1-3€ / 100km, depending on where you charge.
3. The app works 50% of the time, which is pretty poor. Connection to the car is sometimes off, and you cannot locate the car through the app. Also functionality is pretty bad in general.
4. The car forgets the drive mode every time (this is annoying). I drive with B (regenerative breaking) most of the time, and having to constantly switch from D to B is irritating. Lane assist functions need to be turned off every time, but I guess that's a safety/insurance thing.
5. Matrix lights are a must - by far the best feature. I think a lot of deer / foxes have survived thanks to the good lights.

1. (y)
2. it is decent when its not -25c and you can charge the car at home.
3. my app stopped working altogether like a month ago :(
4. what do you mean lane assist need to be turned off? or do you mean the things that yell at you? i have to turn on lane assist every time i start using cruise.
5. they are great, untill you are on a downhill and a truck comes uphill, and then the trucker flashes highbeams. other than that pretty good.

excellent lease

That paint colour is so good, congrats! No way I would trust myself with a white steering wheel but it isn't my car.

Awesome, congrats!

The consumption you report is really good. The more I look at real-world consumption of newer EVs, the more I see that my M3P is actually quite inefficient in the real world :p Although still far off from the likes of eTron & co.

Also, the D/B mode switching was the thing that annoyed me most while I test drove one of these, and the e-Up. In B, they drive very similar to the Tesla, with a lot of regen allowing for one-pedal-driving mostly. It really should allow to stay in B by default, instead of returning to D every time.

Thank you! I am also a little concerned about the white wheel, but it does brighten the interior. The dedicated charger should be installed next week, but we have been charging through a socket at home so far. Charge rate is 11km/h through socket with reduced current, which is more than enough to charge overnight.

Regarding the consumption, please take into account this is with 60-80km/h roads, so if you drive at 100km/h or short distances (battery conditioning drawing power in beginning), I would expect this to be higher.

One pedal driving is really nice, but I guess this "traditional" D was designed to suit people who expect the car to drive like a petrol one.

Great color combo and what a sharp looking interior. I imagine it's a pain to keep clean, but when it's clean, that looks epic. I hope you have many happy, petrol-free miles!

Actually the steering wheel has been really hassle-free. No stains or marks, and the ones which appeared could be wiped off easily.

So we got the higher speed charger installed. 16A fuse, 3-phase. VW says 80km/h, which is a big jump from the 12km/h we got earlier. Naturally we cannot run this at 16A during winter (25A fuse for house and mainly electric heating), but still looking forward to higher speeds. Especially night-time charging should make €/km be less due to lower rates.

However I think even the <2A 12km/h is something you can live with easily even if you drive 150km daily.

Screenshot_20210730-155731.png
IMG_20210730_160448504_HDR.jpg

Actually the steering wheel has been really hassle-free. No stains or marks, and the ones which appeared could be wiped off easily.

So we got the higher speed charger installed. 16A fuse, 3-phase. VW says 80km/h, which is a big jump from the 12km/h we got earlier. Naturally we cannot run this at 16A during winter (25A fuse for house and mainly electric heating), but still looking forward to higher speeds. Especially night-time charging should make €/km be less due to lower rates.

However I think even the <2A 12km/h is something you can live with easily even if you drive 150km daily.

View attachment 3562010View attachment 3562011

I like the installation place!

you can set the car that "this particular location can only charger between times and at half the amps", thought i forgot where that exactly was :D

Edit: apparently its in (i have them in finnish, so here is guestimated translations) car -> charging points
And there you can add 3 day cycles, charging the car to "at least this much % when plugged in", max charging %, specific times to charge (power cost lower at night)

Last edited:
Congrats! I love the color!

"Pause" and "play" symbols in pedals, that is a nice detail.