Idiocy claims another victim...

Congrats on the new car and I salute you for dealing with it in a firm and fair way.

If I were you I would have made outlandish requests... like an S600 and a years free servicing... and a dinosaur! But that's me... I'm like a cross between a weasel and a jackal.

Your behavior is commendable and your tolerance and decency is refreshing to see. I hope the new one you're getting is satisfactory.

I do wonder, though... did you contemplate getting something else from the network that caught your eye? Like an XK or an XJ8 or even something from an entirely different manufacturer? Or was it always going to be a 'you owe me an XJR - find me an XJR' sort of a deal?

Last edited:
I briefly thought about it... I would have taken an X308 V8 XJR if they'd not been able to find an X300, but I just like the I6 engines better. Hence my desire to have another of the same ones back - plus that's more equitable for all.

The idea (IMHO) is to be 'made whole' from a loss, not to make out like a bandit. If they decide they want to screw you, then you should feel free to attempt to make out like a bandit, IMHO.

Last edited:
I briefly thought about it... I would have taken an X308 V8 XJR if they'd not been able to find an X300, but I just like the I6 engines better. Hence my desire to have another of the same ones back - plus that's more equitable for all.
Yeah, I was just wondering... I reckon the way you did it makes the most sense.

The idea (IMHO) is to be 'made whole' from a loss, not to make out like a bandit.
See, that's where you're a better man than I. Picture an anthropomorphic weasel clutching the proverbial 'bag-with-a-dollar-sign-on-it' close to his chest with his eyes nervously darting from side to side. That'd be me. I just wouldn't be man enough to leave the situation you were in without feeling like a "winner".

Last edited:
Spectre, I have found that same approach (steely calm) works wonders. It's almost as good as the Jedi Mind Trick in terms of getting things done. It makes you impossible to read and that makes people very nervous and more likely to comply than spitting with rage.

Although, I have also found that steely calm mixed with totally random outbursts of spitting rage is even better for putting people off their game.

I'm still amazed he got this done in six hours. That's a reasonable dealership if they realized trouble was coming and reached for a pocketbook and not lawyers, like most people do.

Congrats on the new car. I hope it serves you well. When you have the time, I'd like to hear about your plans for it :)

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4io9Ehi96Y[/YOUTUBE]
Ok... Flaming Dragon, fuckface. First, take a big step back... and literally, FUCK YOUR OWN FACE! I don't know what kind of pan-pacific bullshit power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia, Jack, is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down an ungodly fucking firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the fucking United Nations and get a fucking binding resolution to keep me from fucking destroying you. I'm talking about a scorched earth, motherfucker! I will massacre you! I WILL FUCK YOU UP!!!

Wow Spectre...that suck massively. Good job on getting everything settled though.

Just out of curiosity, are you going to keep anything from the old one? Like the seats and make chairs/couch out of them?

Sorry to hear about the whole incident.

Good to hear you've had it resolved to your liking. Good that you kept a cool head. I always try to do the same in such situations.

Although, I have also found that steely calm mixed with totally random outbursts of spitting rage is even better for putting people off their game.
Scares the hell out of people is what it does. :lol:

That's what I do to deal with car wrecks and other tense situations. But I've never been in a situation such as having a really nice Jaaaaaaaag wrecked by an idiot.

Don't know how I'd handle it exactly. Nice job Spectre.

I'm still amazed he got this done in six hours. That's a reasonable dealership if they realized trouble was coming and reached for a pocketbook and not lawyers, like most people do.

I have no doubts that they'd consulted their attorneys, if not had one or more of them sitting at the table and received the advice "Cars, parts and services are cheap. Lawsuits are NOT."

And how in the HELL do you ruin a performance car going to and from LUNCH? Seriously, what the fuck. Unless it was a liquid lunch, of course...

Holy crap that was fast. Sorry about your car Spec :(

On another note, can I bring you with me car shopping?

Holy crap that was fast. Sorry about your car Spec :(

On another note, can I bring you with me car shopping?

No shit. I'm still waiting to find out if my car is a write-off or not. <_<

<otaku mode>

the ?hinamizawa syndrome? approach works wonders, i have gotten off with some crazy stuff before, well that and my ability to lie without raising my voice, sweat, clasp hands, all while making direct eye contact

</otaku mode>

i thought i would never have to post this

Another example of evolution being still a work -- if not exactly in the same way it worked the last couple of billion years or so.

That guy should get a Darwin Award -- post mortem of course.

Sorry, if I sound harsh, but I do not have the slightest sympathy.

In contrast to Spectre and his Jaaaag... bad, bad, bad. I don't know what I would have done in your place but I'm beginning to understand why you carry a gun.

So there remains only one question: WTF did that idiot salesman do to total it?

As much as I respect what you did with the dealership Spectre, if I had a dealership wreck my pride and joy (my Camaro for instance after its restored) I would go in guns blazing. I would most certainly milk it for all its worth mainly because incompetence doesn't to ever seem to get punished. I am at least glad the salesman and his sales manager were walked out the door. I would of taken that X-Type + $ compensation + a few free services.

<otaku mode>

the ?hinamizawa syndrome? approach works wonders, i have gotten off with some crazy stuff before, well that and my ability to lie without raising my voice, sweat, clasp hands, all while making direct eye contact

</otaku mode>

Every teenager can do that, buddy ;)