Idiocy claims another victim...

Stupid chirpy sales manager tried to intercept me on the way to meet with the owner, dealership manager and their lawyer. He 'assumed' that if they gave me a new X-Type I would go away.

"Terribly sorry about our salesman crashing your jaaaag, but it's ok, have another jaaaaaag... shit why isn't it working?! Crap, I forgot the X-Type isn't really a jaaaaag! :eek:"

The XJR is dead; long live the XJR!

:thumbsup:

I can only join the other in commending you for the way you went about this.
And I was actually a bit stumped to see how quickly the whole thing was resolved, glad to see it work out like that for you... good for them too, probably. :D

Stuff happens and shit smears. One washes off, thee other can (usually)be repaired.

Bad luck, hope the "new" one is as good as the old one.

But what has your insurance said/will compensate?

"Terribly sorry about our salesman crashing your jaaaag, but it's ok, have another jaaaaaag... shit why isn't it working?! Crap, I forgot the X-Type isn't really a jaaaaag! :eek:"

:lmao:

Glad it was resolved so quickly.

Also, I really need you to deal with my insurance company ;)

Alas, I do not speak Finnish. :)

But what has your insurance said/will compensate?

As long as I don't file a claim, the insurance doesn't care. And the dealership has rendered the question of filing a claim moot.

Did you make it a condition of your settlement, that you retain ownership of the old Jag? At least until you can get off the parts that are savable.

EDIT:

Savable?? Proof that I is tired.

Last edited:
There's not much left to salvage... I think about half of the fire suppression system might be savable and maybe the mufflers, but the rest is gone. The dealer's going to salvage what they can for me, but nobody has much hope.

Some people would do that.

Those people are not me.

Here's how it works with me: Something like this happens, well, it is unfortunate. Unless it was done with malice aforethought, I am reasonable and amenable to appropriate and equitable compensation for my loss. I don't automatically reach for the lawyers, nor do I figure that I've just hit the lawsuit lotto. That sort of thinking is what has gotten this country into the sad shape it is in now.

However, the reason, equitability, and willingness to negotiate is, as they say, a limited time offer. With me, you get one shot to live up to your responsibilities as incurred. One shot and one shot only. If you do your best to do so, all will go well. If you try to screw me or play games... well, I hear Antarctica is nice this time of year. Out will come the not-so-nice/reasonable/flexible side, along with the lawyers and whatever other hellish nightmares I can summon up; you'll be wishing you had moved to Antarctica.

I wish I could rep you up instead of getting the "spread more before that" thing.

And I honestly think everything has been settled so fast I never thought this was even possible. Here, the dealer himself would have probably called a lawyer before you could do the same, to be able to delay the payment at least until next year, find a way to state it was a test-drive of sort and eventually pay you less money due to car depreciation...

^ Covered.

The idea (IMHO) is to be 'made whole' from a loss, not to make out like a bandit. If they decide they want to screw you, then you should feel free to attempt to make out like a bandit, IMHO.

you dont fuck with another man's car. That's private property. It belongs to you. If some asshole comes and joyrides it around without your consent.... :mad::mad::mad::mad:

That's just how I view things. I think you handled it about the same way I would have, but as far as being "made whole" again... I dont think that's quite good enough. They inconvenienced you and betrayed your trust and totalled a car that may well have been irreplacable to you. Fortunately it wasn't, but that's not the point.

If someone burns down my house due to his own stupidity, I want a new house and for the trouble they've caused me I want them to make me a cake while they're at it.

I definitely agree there's a fine line between compensation for the frustration they've caused and outright extortion, and I'm pretty sure you toe'd that line well. Nothing irritates me more than ambulance chasing, sue-happy lawsuit wranglers. I find it sickening. Good thing it didnt have to come to that.

Still, you dont fuck with another man's ride. What a fucking idiot. I hope the criimnal charges go well...

In fact, I think the criminal charges would go a long way towards making things even for the frutration they've caused. :D I suppose being "made whole" accounts for the frustration and annoyance part of hte equation anyway.

Last edited:
Good grief, the things that can happen while one is asleep...

Spectre, I'm so sorry to hear about this - when you send your car to the shop, whether for attention or just as a favour as this was, you expect it to be looked after, not fucked over. I'm absolutely astonished at how efficiently everything was resolved, and I'm hugely impressed with your apparent stoicism in the face of adversity. Just goes to show that respect and rationality > histrionics.

I salute you, sir, and wish you much happy motoring in your new car :)

BTW Spectre, I think it's quite.......strange.......that you loaned a car with firearms to the dealer....I mean....I would have taken them out before that (not that I own any) :)

BTW Spectre, I think it's quite.......strange.......that you loaned a car with firearms to the dealer....I mean....I would have taken them out before that (not that I own any) :)

Isn't it obvious that he loaned the car for it's large boot capacity and black colour, the guns were just tools for the job.

As was the shovel in the back seat.

The crash was just the result of an overambitious getaway driver. And he wasn't fired, he was gunned down.

Last edited:
:lol:

And they found the car in a ditch.......and by ditch they mean window of a jewelery store. :)

Spectre,
You are the man that I SHOULD be when I grow up but I doubt that will ever happen (me growing up that is) sux about the car but congratulations on getting everything sorted calmly and to your liking. If it were me I would not be leaving that dealership without either an S5 or the RS6.

Incidentally I kinda hope that my dealer totals my car I would like a new one :D

:lol:

And they found the car in a ditch.......and by ditch they mean window of a jewelery store. :)

Which is a shame, because they were only supposed to blow the bloody doors off!

I think it's safe to say that Spectre wins the entire world with this thread...

i think he got a XJR, a wad of cash, and a transmission swap. so yeah they are compensating him