Idiots + cars = LOL

If not, this should:

Those are just since TxDOT cleaned it last.

We used to have a much nastier Dead Man's Curve situation on I-83 in south York. The advised truck speed was 25. And it wasn't a "freeway ends" situation, it was a "stupidly ill advised junction layout causes freeway to make a 150 degree reverse banked reducing radius turn" situation. (the ramps went straight on up the middle, the through route split to either side and southbound kinked badly)

They eventually reconfigured it to a super-wide out 90 degree sweeper that's actually the fastest section of highway around there now.

Idiots + cars = LOL

There's a portion of Lake Shore Drive in Chicago that has a very sharp left right turn with numerous marks. I had a distant uncle that died there years ago.

We used to have a much nastier Dead Man's Curve situation on I-83 in south York. The advised truck speed was 25. And it wasn't a "freeway ends" situation, it was a "stupidly ill advised junction layout causes freeway to make a 150 degree reverse banked reducing radius turn" situation. (the ramps went straight on up the middle, the through route split to either side and southbound kinked badly)

They eventually reconfigured it to a super-wide out 90 degree sweeper that's actually the fastest section of highway around there now.
They also have those weight sensing "slow down" lights too.

I've only seen them go off once.

They also have those weight sensing "slow down" lights too.

I've only seen them go off once.

That's the one in Harrisburg, and that's merely a 90 degree. And banked in the correct direction.

I'm talking about what used to be where the George Street ramp is.

That's the one in Harrisburg, and that's merely a 90 degree. And banked in the correct direction.

I'm talking about what used to be where the George Street ramp is.
Ohhhhh THAT one. Right. That was a hot mess.

100 km/h limit on a narrow road like that? :blink: Shit, that would be max 80 here, probably lower.

100 km/h limit on a narrow road like that? :blink: Shit, that would be max 80 here, probably lower.

Most roads way out of the major capitals are (remember just how huge this country is)

I remember a case of one I drove, a Windy mountain pass with a 100km limit, We were struggling to do the limit in cars with modified suspension and even then it was crazy, Good fun but crazy.

By the look of it that road would be 60mph / 100km/h here too, or would've been until recently. Not an ideal speed for a blind bend.

I take it you've never been to Ireland :p

I know the Driver from another forum, Van pulled across him on a 100kph road. (Many Aussie rural back roads are 100kph no matter how bat shit insane)
To me, it looks like the van driver didn't have a chance of seeing oncoming traffic that fast. So - bad road design, or lack of speed limit. Around here that corner/intersection would be limited to 70 or even 50, I guess.

This would not have happened if they drove on the right side of the road. :p :tease:

By the look of it that road would be 60mph / 100km/h here too, or would've been until recently. Not an ideal speed for a blind bend.

Speed limit is the maximum speed you are legally allowed to go, not the ideal speed to be travelling. Looks like the van was already moving across the middle of the road before the Beemer came in to view, the "the limit is 60 so 60 must be safe" mentality and people's inability to judge road conditions is why we end up with pointless 40mph zones slapped everywhere.

Seems like a lot of risk could be taken out of that junction if those trees and bushes on the right hand side were cut away, you'd get a much better view of the road and oncoming traffic from both directions.

Speed limit is the maximum speed you are legally allowed to go, not the ideal speed to be travelling. Looks like the van was already moving across the middle of the road before the Beemer came in to view, the "the limit is 60 so 60 must be safe" mentality and people's inability to judge road conditions is why we end up with pointless 40mph zones slapped everywhere.

This.

Speed limit is the maximum speed you are legally allowed to go, not the ideal speed to be travelling.

Don't bitch to me about it, I was only stating that the road would probably be 60mph here, more likely 50mph now. Lots of the roads around here have been dropped to 50 because bikers like to go nuts and keep getting in to accidents.

Seems like a lot of risk could be taken out of that junction if those trees and bushes on the right hand side were cut away, you'd get a much better view of the road and oncoming traffic from both directions.

Sadly this isn't drummed into drivers, at least not here, for the passing of the regular test.

The three golden rules of speed are:
1. It is a limit not a target.
2. Drive appropriate to all prevailing conditions.
3. Speed should always match vision.

Don't bitch to me about it, I was only stating that the road would probably be 60mph here, more likely 50mph now. Lots of the roads around here have been dropped to 50 because bikers like to go nuts and keep getting in to accidents.

Sorry, didn't mean for that to sound like a personal attack, it's just one of my pet peeves. A while ago a new 40mph zone was created around here because some dunce put his Impreza through a hedge at 100mph, not quite sure how that's going to help as Captain Crash was already doing 40mph over the original speed limit. Kamikaze motorcyclists take the same problem to the next level...

And this is the problem with speed limits on rural roads. The idiots are going to ignore them and kill themselves regardless and the Nanny State intervenes to penalise the rest of us.

I'll allegedly do 80-90 on empty farm roads during the daytime in dry weather. :D