Idiots + cars = LOL

But it only works when there is enough space and isn't suitable for parallel-parked cars. It's great in theory but in practice it won't be so quick and easy.

The solution narf posted above may take a minute or two longer but you can also get vehicles out of tight spaces that way.

Good luck getting a full size truck or SUV on that crane. Even my midsize XTerra with a few mods is over 5,000#.

They use those things for golf carts here.

Double parking in Dumbarton

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/double-parking-gets-new-meaning-9490233

C0SJkEjUsAEDyhg.jpg

I'm now imagining the look on the bending forward cops face while the old lady explains how she did that :lol:

There are bigger cranes.

'Murica laughs at your conception that vehicles should be crane-able.

IMG_6094.JPG

On a more serious note, I do think a crane like that would have some use on the East coast, where cities tend to be a bit more compacted and may not always have the room for the system Matt2000 posted. But even then I suspect tow operators would compare the price tag between the (I presume expensive and differently-regulated) crane and a more traditional rig and decide the few cases where the crane would make the job easier that existing rigs won't justify the expense.

Kansas police officer sustains minor injuries after crash on highway pushed his vehicle onto flatbed truck and falling on its side

We actually do that for heavy trucks. It's ungodly expensive.

And often enough it's not possible to hoist them out with cranes due overhead obstructions like power lines so they end up having to be shoveled out and a heavy duty wrecker has to winch them out *anyway*. Got to watch that happen a couple months ago when a semi drove off the pavement into a boggy median in the rain outside a client's place.

- - - Updated - - -

On a more serious note, I do think a crane like that would have some use on the East coast, where cities tend to be a bit more compacted and may not always have the room for the system Matt2000 posted. But even then I suspect tow operators would compare the price tag between the (I presume expensive and differently-regulated) crane and a more traditional rig and decide the few cases where the crane would make the job easier that existing rigs won't justify the expense.

A crane rig that could lift that pictured pickup would be squarely in the class 7 or 8 category requiring at least a Class B Federal CDL to drive if not a Class A. The driver would also have to have a crane operator's license and the insurance starts getting ridiculous. Obviously these do exist, but you can see why they're very rare.

Last edited:
Again, more Kansas City area carnage. I swear those people are as bad as people in Dallas when it gets snowy/icy.

Nah, they're worse - because they get more of it more often and they're somehow no better at driving in it. :p

On the other hand, we buy a lot more 4WD trucks than Kansas does so this kind of thing ends up happening in DFW.

That happened near me over the weekend. A Sports Authority closed a year ago and the buildings up for sale but no snow removal crew was hired so the parking lot becomes a doughnut fun park and truckers will park near it to sleep. Well, one guy parked right in the middle and was stuck. Some guy with his 4WD Ford pulled it out.

Laugh away.

l000.jpg

Good luck getting that crane into an inner city without having to shut down an entire block.

- - - Updated - - -

Nah, they're worse - because they get more of it more often and they're somehow no better at driving in it. :p

On the other hand, we buy a lot more 4WD trucks than Kansas does so this kind of thing ends up happening in DFW.

Holy shit, that guy jumping in the bed is an idiot! Lets put someone right in line with the tow strap so if it fails he catches it right in the face.

No one ever said Texas was smart.

Looked like Maryland to me.

Looked like Maryland to me.

How odd. It seems completely in keeping with many Illinois drivers I know. :evil:

Here is something attributed directly to Illinois. The commentary is unintentionally hilarious...
[video=youtube;r9f5-p0rDuA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9f5-p0rDuA[/video]

Yeah that's about right. Though I've not seen the driving with hazard lights on. That's something I saw more in Florida.