Idiots + cars = LOL

gaasc

Desperately looking for a title
Car(s)
3 of them
It's a bit silly. I've always used both. Redundancy is a good thing, but I never thought of leaving it in gear as the primary means for keeping the car in place. This also extends to automatics. It's not like they're charging you per pull/button push.

SirEdward

Car(s)
VW Polo mkVI
Both the handbrake AND the gear.

In my mind, for some reason, the handbrake is actually used to stop the car, while the gear is used to stop the car more if the handbrake is weak (which can happen with older cars).

For extreme slopes (very rare), handbrake, the relevant gear that would make the car move uphill, the steering locked towards the curb or hedge.

Blind_Io

"Be The Match" Registered
DONOR
Car(s)
06 XTerra, '00 VFR800, '07 ST1300, '11 Multistrada
Fascinating. Why are manual drivers afraid to use the parking brake? I don't understand the idea of putting it in gear instead.
My parking brake doesnt hold any more, I have to put it in gear and apply the brake. On steep hills, I will shift to 4Low so it doesn't roll away.

93Flareside

Döner Kebab enthusiast
DONOR
Car(s)
‘18 VW Golf GTI, '87 Mercury Colony Park

DaBoom

Worlds fastest Amish
DONOR
Car(s)
Various BMWs, a Swift cabrio, Benelli TreK
I'll share this here as well. Things were happening in Latvia, on the way to Ringmeet. There were tens of similar overtakes but this time a bit less succesfully.