Idiots + cars = LOL

don't trucks have a mirror to see what's directly infront of them? like above the front window, facing downwards?

No. Think about the angles at which it would have to operate and the aerodynamics of it.

Some US schoolbuses do, but that's a fender mounted thing and it sticks way out in front of the bus.

M-SBF10mirror-crossview-correct-new.jpg

M-SBF10mirror-convex.jpg

I have to think there is a lot of room for design improvement if it is possible for a truck driver to hit and push another vehicle without noticing. It's a bit of a stretch to blame the car driver for getting hit by another vehicle that was changing lanes (the car was already next to the truck when it began indicating).

Blind spot mirrors aren't that uncommon over here in cab-over-engine land. The only trucks I see that aren't cab-over-engine are dump trucks, and almost all of them are old as dirt. A semi needs to fit as much cargo as possible between its bumpers.

The only trucks I see that aren't cab-over-engine are dump trucks, and almost all of them are old as dirt.

We do have new trucks with hoods as well :)

In case of the former, if you overtake a snow plow and get pushed along by it it really is your fault.
In case of the latter, get off my lawn tracks :wheelchair:

Last edited:
I have to think there is a lot of room for design improvement if it is possible for a truck driver to hit and push another vehicle without noticing. It's a bit of a stretch to blame the car driver for getting hit by another vehicle that was changing lanes (the car was already next to the truck when it began indicating).

Actually I'm not sure why semis don't have cameras on the front (the back is trickier since it would require the trailer to have it) for such a thing and blind spot detectors, seem like simple enough things to install and certainly more useful on a semi than a Volvo...

Actually I'm not sure why semis don't have cameras on the front (the back is trickier since it would require the trailer to have it) for such a thing and blind spot detectors, seem like simple enough things to install and certainly more useful on a semi than a Volvo...

You could do PDC-style sensors around the rear wheel area of the tractor to cover a large section of the blind spot for example. Sadly, without a government mandate not a lot will happen.

Front view mirrors are mandatory here, they actualy work very well......then again if you are stupid enough to get so close to a trucks frontend the driver can't see you you deserve everything that will happen next, and no, you will not notice an ecobox stuck to the front of it......other people will get annoyed though.

spiegel-original.jpg

Last edited:
Yesyes, we are definetly talking cab-overs here, I don't see it working at all on long noses, the mirror would have to be 'way out there somewhere', but we don't get those much anyway.

Last edited:
Cameras would be rendered useless from dirt within minutes when the wheather is bad, especially in winter. Trucks do have back-up cameras though but they're protected by a visor that flips up when you engage reverse.

I dug up this picture of a common urban delivery truck for another thread, might as well post it... I see quite a lot of those mirrors around nowadays. http://i.imgur.com/V0qVd.jpg

The question is are they shortcab or the US style trucks though, I can see them work well on the shortcabs but the long nosed US trucks...

The "no" was in response to a Norwegonian, and both videos showed Euro-style cab over engine trucks.

Cameras would be rendered useless from dirt within minutes when the wheather is bad, especially in winter. Trucks do have back-up cameras though but they're protected by a visor that flips up when you engage reverse.

I dug up this picture of a common urban delivery truck for another thread, might as well post it... I see quite a lot of those mirrors around nowadays. http://i.imgur.com/V0qVd.jpg
It doesn't have to be at ground level and could have a wiper or something. Doesn't even need to be a camera just a simple sensors that would beep if you are say less than .5 foot away from something (not likely to be getting that close to a car under normal driving).

Sensors will get the same results, aka they will get dirty after 30 seconds and will probably end up beeping constantly...... trucks have big , flat frontends, they take ALOT of dirt, it quite simply will not work.

They have been experimenting with cameras on the passengers side to help reduce the blind spot problem, with mixed results, a simple 'curb mirror' as seen in the pic above, (the one on the top of the side window) does the same and is alot simpler.

I for one feel a systhem that zaps pedestrians and cyclists if they get whithin 5 feet of a truck with a few 1000 volts would be much more effective.......

Last edited:
Sensors will get the same results, aka they will get dirty after 30 seconds and will probably end up beeping constantly...... trucks have big , flat frontends, they take ALOT of dirt, it quite simply will not work.
Depends on the type of sensor could be made to detect say metal only and then dirt won't do much.
I for one feel a systhem that zaps pedestrians and cyclists if they get whithin 5 feet of a truck with a few 1000 volts would be much more effective.......

No argument there...

Depends on the type of sensor could be made to detect say metal only and then dirt won't do much.

Well yeah, but what good would that do? Most of the mirrors on trucks discussed here are mostly for spotting pedestrians and cyclists in urban enviroments, and the lycramorons don't want much metal in their bikes anymore these days.
Cars in the front blindspot (which isent that big) like in the video's are very rare, and can really only happen if the drivers cut infront way to close.

Again, as someone who is in one of these things all day, the mirrors work fine, no need for cameras..... enough electronics to catch fire already as it is :p

Last edited:
Well yeah, but what good would that do? Most of the mirrors on trucks discussed here are mostly for spotting pedestrians and cyclists in urban enviroments,

Oh... well then I suggest removing those mirrors :p

EDIT: no comment....

Last edited:
The spatial awareness is strong with this one...

Now we must go to Brazil immediately!

Last edited: