Idiots + cars = LOL

Why do Discovery have "American Loggers" (which seems to be in Canada mostly?) and "Swamp Loggers"? Do you guys have "Discovery Logging" or something? Actually, it'd probably be better than regular Discovery Drama?.

I think the only reason for the logging shows on Discovery is because History (Which for the most part has forgotten it's a network for historical programming and now airs "reality" shows.) aired "Axe Men" to good ratings.

FYI, "American Loggers" is filmed around the Pelletier Brothers home base of Millinocket, Maine; up in the north-central part of the state. Not too far from Shellygrrl, if memory serves.

I agree we probably do need a big rig thread. And just to let you guys know, for a long time we used COE trucks here in the US. My dad had a 1961 Ford, a 1973 Kenworth, a 1974 Marmon, and a 1979 GMC Astro 95 SS - all cabovers. But when the Motor Carrier Act of 1980 ended federal regulation of trucking, it put an end to the federally mandated length limits and the COE died out by the late 1980s.

Why are you people arguing about trucks with narf? The man is clueless about most things but he seems to be even better at it when it comes to utility....

Last edited:
Why are you people arguing about trucks with narf? The man is clueless about most things but he seems to be even better at it when it comes to utility....

May I ask, what are your preferences as a truck driver? European or American style trucks?

It'd be probably best if a mod moved these posts into another thread.

Long noses offer greater comfort for the driver, US style sleeper cabs are alot bigger, which is very important for drivers that are away for a whole week (or even longer), furthermore since the cab is almost midway on the chassis and not above the front axle ride comfort greatly improves and it's an entirely different feeling when cornering, hard to explain but the lateral motion is alot less....alot nicer and less tyring to drive.

Downsides are a more imited alround visibility, which can be a problem in our cities (idiot pedestrians and cyclists), the extra lenght, which means a shorter trailer and the longer chassis on the tractor means a bigger turning circle, making them all but impossible to use in certain places and applications.

My personal opinion? If I was a longhauler away for the week and ignoring legal lenght issues I would no doubt want a US rig, probably woulden't get one since it's just not the way here, but would still want one :p

In the job I have now, wich requires constant squeezing into tight places never ment for trucks in the first place, from construction sites in the middle of a forest to the center of medieval cities and everything in between where visibility and a small turning circle is essential I prefer the COE I have now, it's all that would work really.

Ignoring all the boring practical shit and going by the coolness and beauty factor alone, well....I think you can guess where my heart is.

Last edited:
Are you telling me a Unimog is not the best long haul truck in the world? BLASPHEMY! :p

Obviously yellow russian trucks are the best trucks in the world

[video=youtube;M1Zhl-kymmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Zhl-kymmE&feature=player_embedded[/video]

But today we end on a high note!

Last edited:
Are you telling me a Unimog is not the best long haul truck in the world? BLASPHEMY! :p

And a 140hp Sprinter van Is WAY better than a superduty long bed 4x4 diesel pick-up truck, at everything :p

Obviously yellow russian trucks are the best trucks in the world

[video=youtube;M1Zhl-kymmE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1Zhl-kymmE&feature=player_embedded[/video]
IIRC that is a KRAZ - Kirovskiy Avtozovod (Car factory of Kirov City) they are basically military trucks.
And a 140hp Sprinter van Is WAY better than a superduty long bed 4x4 diesel pick-up truck, at everything
Too much power, it has to be an 89hp FWD Fiat converted to a truck :p

IIRC that is a KRAZ - Kirovskiy Avtozovod (Car factory of Kirov City) they are basically military trucks.

Yep. 6-wheel drive, too - those things can go further offroad than many prepped jeepers ever dare. And most of it is repairable using nothing but a big hammer and some swearing.

I see your Russian 6x6 and raise you an 8x8 Tatra from the Czech Republic :p. Skip to 1:35, if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

[video=youtube;JDynVAv8-MU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDynVAv8-MU&feature=related[/video]

Last edited:
I see your Russian 6x6 and raise you an 8x8 Tatra from the Czech Republic :p. Skip to 1:35, if you don't want to watch the whole thing.

[video=youtube;JDynVAv8-MU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDynVAv8-MU&feature=related[/video]
I have a sneaking suspicion there was quite a bit of Russian coloboration on those trucks I remember seeing some similar truck demos of the Russian ones.

EDIT: Here it is, looks very similar it's a KRAZ
EDIT2: Found more info it is a KRAZ 6316 8x8, never made it into production.
KRAZ6316_1.jpg
Also I am now thinking the other one was an Ural because this is an Ural (with some missiles on it)
p1000239se5.jpg

Last edited:
That's not even the same engine, they haven't introduced the 750 HP engine in the US, as of now it's european market only, (source) (Australia are still evalutating whether or not to go for it as well, source
Oh and the 750HP engine got 3550Nm of torque (2618 lb ft)

No, that's still a D16 variant, just like the 700 before it: http://www.duemotori.com/news/comme...e_heart_of_the_worlds_most_powerful_truck.php

NEITHER one of those D16 variants is US smog legal - and when the D16 is made compliant, it doesn't make that power any more. They don't even make 660 like the older ones do.

Some of your regulations don't seem to work right, when you still have smog :dunno:

Some of your regulations don't seem to work right, when you still have smog :dunno:

Yours don't seem to work real well either since your cities are covered in carcinogenic diesel soot.:p Not to mention the latest craze of depriving plants of food.

I'd also point out that the our laws seem to be working fairly well considering this was Los Angeles in 1943:
smog_1a.jpg

That's not fog, rain or mist. That's smog. It was so bad you couldn't see more than a few hundred feet at times, reportedly.

They haven't had days anywhere even remotely that bad since the 1980s.

How about New York City, 1953?
New+York+Killer+Smog,+1953+(3).jpg

New+York+Killer+Smog,+1953+(4).jpg

Hm.

can%27t+see+shit+captain.jpg

Again - not fog, not rain, not mist. Yup, that was the infamous "New York Killer Smog" of the 50s. While NYC still has bad days now and then, it's never been anywhere near as bad (with the exception of 9/11 and the immediate aftermath) since the 80s.

Yeah, I'd say they're working acceptably well - going in the right direction, etc.

Last edited:
Yours don't seem to work real well either since your cities are covered in carcinogenic diesel soot.:p Not to mention the latest craze of depriving plants of food.

I'd also point out that the our laws seem to be working fairly well considering this was Los Angeles in 1943:
smog_1a.jpg

That's not fog, rain or mist. That's smog. It was so bad you couldn't see more than a few hundred feet at times, reportedly.

They haven't had days anywhere even remotely that bad since the 1980s.

How about New York City, 1953?
New+York+Killer+Smog,+1953+(3).jpg

New+York+Killer+Smog,+1953+(4).jpg

Hm.

can%27t+see+shit+captain.jpg

Again - not fog, not rain, not mist. Yup, that was the infamous "New York Killer Smog" of the 50s. While NYC still has bad days now and then, it's never been anywhere near as bad (with the exception of 9/11 and the immediate aftermath) since the 80s.

Yeah, I'd say they're working acceptably well - going in the right direction, etc.
Even after 9/11 it wasn't near as bad as that picture, in fact in the 15 years I have lived here I have not seen any bad smog at all.