Idiots + cars = LOL

Yes not all cars have that interlock but if you drive a stick I expect you to ALWAYS pop the clutch when you start the car just because that ensures that you won't go rolling when you start up.

My Nissan has an override switch on the dash to disable that feature. I don't really see the point, but I use it to start the car sometimes without getting in. It's also fun to turn on and start the car in gear when people are in the car, it tends to freak them out.

My Nissan has an override switch on the dash to disable that feature. I don't really see the point, but I use it to start the car sometimes without getting in. It's also fun to turn on and start the car in gear when people are in the car, it tends to freak them out.
It's an offroad thing. If you stall during a steep climb. your only way to avoid backrolling is to keep your foot in the brake, and the other in the gas to keep from stalling out again.

It's a really hairy move because breaking traction trying to set off can screw you just as fast as a backroll would, which is why these switches are dying and being replaced by hill-hold brake switches.

This is proof of what my father used to say: "Someone up there protects the children and the drunks" :lol:

Cause: Blood alcohol 7 or 8 times beyond limit

Porto Alegre! :lol:

It's an offroad thing. If you stall during a steep climb. your only way to avoid backrolling is to keep your foot in the brake, and the other in the gas to keep from stalling out again.

It's a really hairy move because breaking traction trying to set off can screw you just as fast as a backroll would, which is why these switches are dying and being replaced by hill-hold brake switches.

If your gearing is low enough, you can also drive your truck out of a tight spot using nothing but the starter motor. :p

Oh, I know what it's for in theory, I've just never seen the point of it. I've never had a problem getting started after breaking traction, if worse comes to worse, I just reverse down and attack the obstacle again.

Hill brake hold switches are fine, but again, I've been off roading for 15 years and I have never found myself thinking, "If only I had a button that would hold the brakes on, or allow me to start the car in gear." I just don't understand the need for all these off road gizmos and computers. I've found that the less computer intrusion the better. I will almost always put the vehicle in 4Low just to disable the VDC and ABS because they cause more problems than they solve. Just after getting the X I got down into some deep snow and the VDC kicked in - I lost all power because the computer kept cutting power and I couldn't disable the system while it was working. I ended up having to put the clutch in to keep the engine from stalling; now I was stopped with a pile of snow pushed up to the hood, not a good situation. Fortunately, I was able to engage the locker and rock the X back and forth enough to get out, but it was very dicey.

I've had lots of occasions where electronic systems got in the way, but I can't think of a single time when the computer saved my ass.

Oh, I know what it's for in theory, I've just never seen the point of it. I've never had a problem getting started after breaking traction, if worse comes to worse, I just reverse down and attack the obstacle again.

Hill brake hold switches are fine, but again, I've been off roading for 15 years and I have never found myself thinking, "If only I had a button that would hold the brakes on, or allow me to start the car in gear." I just don't understand the need for all these off road gizmos and computers. I've found that the less computer intrusion the better. I will almost always put the vehicle in 4Low just to disable the VDC and ABS because they cause more problems than they solve. Just after getting the X I got down into some deep snow and the VDC kicked in - I lost all power because the computer kept cutting power and I couldn't disable the system while it was working. I ended up having to put the clutch in to keep the engine from stalling; now I was stopped with a pile of snow pushed up to the hood, not a good situation. Fortunately, I was able to engage the locker and rock the X back and forth enough to get out, but it was very dicey.

I've had lots of occasions where electronic systems got in the way, but I can't think of a single time when the computer saved my ass.
Yeah stability control systems do suck in the snow. My manual actually says to disable ESP if you are trying to get out of deep snow because otherwise it cuts power and brakes wheels for no reason.

Yeah stability control systems do suck in the snow. My manual actually says to disable ESP if you are trying to get out of deep snow because otherwise it cuts power and brakes wheels for no reason.

Mine says the same. I guess to be fair, Mazda calls it "dynamic stability control." So it doesn't claim to help when the car is stationary :?

I learned to drive without electronic aids and I wasn't used to how intrusive it would be. I had the X in 4High and I thought that the VDC system would react appropriately, unfortunately the Nissan VDC stays active until you put it in 4Low.

One of the main problems with the VDC is that it is primarily designed for automatic transmissions. When it kicks in on a manual it chops power by cutting the fuel injection system, much like hitting a rev limiter, the problem is that it's not smart enough to not stall the engine in the process.

I learned to drive without electronic aids and I wasn't used to how intrusive it would be. I had the X in 4High and I thought that the VDC system would react appropriately, unfortunately the Nissan VDC stays active until you put it in 4Low.

One of the main problems with the VDC is that it is primarily designed for automatic transmissions. When it kicks in on a manual it chops power by cutting the fuel injection system, much like hitting a rev limiter, the problem is that it's not smart enough to not stall the engine in the process.
That's weird. On my car I just have a button to turn it off, its strange that you can just do it w/o going to 4Low.

VDC turns off automatically in 4Low. I can turn it off with a button, but, as I said, I can't turn it off while the system is actively working. The only way to disable the ABS is by putting it in 4Low.

VDC turns off automatically in 4Low. I can turn it off with a button, but, as I said, I can't turn it off while the system is actively working. The only way to disable the ABS is by putting it in 4Low.

Ha. Land Rover is well ahead in that regard. It will automatically disable the ABS system. Though automatically can be at any random time, and it also disables the entire hydraulic breaking system along with the ABS, but automatic nether the less.

That's in the same category as Lucas Electrics' invention of the intermittent wiper.

That's in the same category as Lucas Electrics' invention of the intermittent wiper.

Exactly. I know KaJuN has enjoyed the ABS feature himself.

Ahh I see, VDC/ESP that cuts throttle is weird in a manual, you would think they woulda thought about that...

That video has been out there for years. A new clutch and possibly flywheel and the car would be good to go.

This isnt LOL, just idiot + car.