Idiots + cars = LOL

I have seen peeps light up while holding the gas nozzle.........

It's just you. That's the standard metal fitting used on all US fuel pumps.

That metal band is the stainless steel ferrule that clamps the hose assembly to the angled swivel fitting, IIRC.

Last edited:
Weird.

Not really, it keeps the end of the hose from fraying or coming loose (thus avoiding a rather predictable disaster.) It's used even on pumps that don't have a swivel fitting on the nozzle. (This is my own pic from a few days ago, taken for another reason.)

IMG_3430.JPG

US pump hoses also have a breakaway coupler/shutoff at the end nearest the pump unit itself in an attempt to keep people who drive off with pump nozzles still attached to their cars from causing a worse disaster.

Funny-3-382x400.jpg

Not really, it keeps the end of the hose from fraying or coming loose (thus avoiding a rather predictable disaster.) It's used even on pumps that don't have a swivel fitting on the nozzle. (This is my own pic from a few days ago, taken for another reason.)

IMG_3430.JPG

That fitting looks similar to ours, and is perfectly understandable. However, it's fairly different from the one seen in the smoking lady pictures :dunno:

That fitting looks similar to ours, and is perfectly understandable. However, it's fairly different from the one seen in the smoking lady pictures :dunno:

They just stuck a swivel/pivot fitting between the end of the hose and the nozzle unit, like so:
Fuel-Pump-Nozzles-z.jpg

Yeah I don't get that part. Must limit the flow surely.

It makes it easier to insert if you're not positioned next to the pump just right. The flow feels fine to me...:dunno:

Not appreciably. I've seen both fast and slow pumps with the swivel connector - it does help keep from getting the hose snarled up and it serves as a strain relief so that the nozzle doesn't want to come out of the car - or so you aren't having to constantly fight hose tension if you have a motorcycle.

Ah. From the other smaller pictures the joint looked like a simple grey soft collapsed tube, such as a duct tape pipe.

While I wouldn't be surprised if some cretin in BFE Alabama had done exactly that, I've never actually seen someone using a duct tape joint at that position. :p

Last edited:
I remember getting yelled at by an old guy while working at the gas station in high school because I wouldnt fill up hispropane tank while he smoked a cigar two feet from me.