Idiots + cars = LOL

The main issue seems to be hitting the brakes at all on the snow/ice while in a skid. That usually will send you flying off somewhere.

Should include driving too fast for the conditions starts all of it.

Last edited:
That seems to be quite a lot of it - people are just driving way too fast. Passing in the oncoming lane in the snow, brilliant.

The parent Fiat 124 had discs all around. The Lada has front discs and rear drums; in fact it is notable for being one of the few cars in the world built by people stupid enough to use aluminum for the rear drums (IIRC, without a steel liner). The first ones were not self adjusting, but later models were.

The rear drums of my Vaz is steel-lined but they can be after-market parts for all that I know.

The parent Fiat 124 had discs all around. The Lada has front discs and rear drums; in fact it is notable for being one of the few cars in the world built by people stupid enough to use aluminum for the rear drums (IIRC, without a steel liner). The first ones were not self adjusting, but later models were.

But aluminum is lighter than steel so that reduces unsprung weight which in turn improves handling performance.

:p

Idiots + cars = LOL

Doesn't help if your drums burn through at your first brake application. :p

I had a motorcycle like that - never rode it on the highway, though. Stopping was - interesting.

I had a motorcycle like that - never rode it on the highway, though. Stopping was - interesting.

Well, the front brake's going to throw you over the handlebars, so if you're not going to use it, just get rid of it. Besides, it makes laying her down harder.

/Harley logic

This is how not to do an off road recovery:

But wait! There's more!

Brakes just slow you down.

You haven't driven the Series in a while have you? :p

Not-well-adjusted drum brakes can cause a car to snap one direction or another under braking, and I'm betting those aren't well-adjusted drum brakes.

I remember braking after going through water, you'd think the drums (all round) would dry out evenly but nope, it goes where it wants.

That seems to be quite a lot of it - people are just driving way too fast. Passing in the oncoming lane in the snow, brilliant.

There's a lot of incidents of people not driving fast enough. When you've got a big hill coming up, you've got to build up speed to limit the amount of loud pedal you need to give it while climbing the hill.

Instead, you have people driving too slow, get half-way up the hill, then kinda gun it...and end up losing traction, sliding down the hill sideways, sliding back into cars that are still coming...who are people driving too fast, and following too close.

There's a lot of incidents of people not driving fast enough. When you've got a big hill coming up, you've got to build up speed to limit the amount of loud pedal you need to give it while climbing the hill.
That doesn't count just for driving in winter, but very much for driving in tunnels. In Hamburg there is a 3.3 km long tunnel under the Elbe with four tubes which each have two lanes. One tube is closed due to reconstruction so usually there is one tube in each direction one-way, the middle open one is two-way so you have three lanes per direction.
Of course the tunnel is at first declined, then inclines again to get up to the other side. Many too many people forget to push the loud pedal harder when the incline comes so they are slowing down. If there is enough traffic that cumulates until one driver brakes and the others behind him, too. 90% of traffic jams there are due to those people...

That doesn't count just for driving in winter, but very much for driving in tunnels. In Hamburg there is a 3.3 km long tunnel under the Elbe with four tubes which each have two lanes. One tube is closed due to reconstruction so usually there is one tube in each direction one-way, the middle open one is two-way so you have three lanes per direction.
Of course the tunnel is at first declined, then inclines again to get up to the other side. Many too many people forget to push the loud pedal harder when the incline comes so they are slowing down. If there is enough traffic that cumulates until one driver brakes and the others behind him, too. 90% of traffic jams there are due to those people...

I remember that place. I went through the tunnel more than 3 years ago, and one tube was closed for works (I hope it's not the same today...). The rest was jammed for no reason, and after that everything got (mostly) fine again.

The last years when they were finished with one tube the next was being closed for reconstruction (the first three tubes were built from 1968-1975 so the technical standard was sub-par, the fourth tube opened in 2002), but it is planned to open all four tubes in February 2013 or so.