Idiots + cars = LOL

Because it's a fire truck on an emergency run and they are allowed to make room.

Not here they're not. The Skoda had space to move up to the line so should've done, but they can be fined for crossing it if anyone is watching.

Daily Fail but it explains what will happen:

A spokesman said Rule 219 of the Highway Code says motorists should consider the route of the emergency vehicle and take appropriate action to allow it to pass while complying with traffic signs.

I've passed a fair share of slow cars before an exit before but ONLY when I had perfect visibility! I've had to go past my exit once or twice because I didn't think it was safe to merge right.

There's an exit I have to take which comes after a long steep descent, during which trucks have a speed limit of 40km/h and the rest of the traffic has a speed limit of 80km/h. As a result, all the trucks take up the left lane and bunch right up together doing less than half the speed of everyone else (who in reality usually do closer to 100). The only ways I can get off at that exit is either to wedge myself between two very large and slow moving trucks and crawl at 40 for a good half a kilometre at least, or overtake them all before quickly jumping in before the exit. The latter is what everyone does, apart from maybe some nervous old ladies who think their Daihatsu is ten times larger than it is.

Not here they're not. The Skoda had space to move up to the line so should've done, but they can be fined for crossing it if anyone is watching.

Daily Fail but it explains what will happen:
That's completely backwards. Over here, if you see a vehicle on an emergency run, you are mandated to MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY AND STAY THERE UNTIL THE VEHICLE PASSES, doesn't matter if you mount a kerb or go through a red, because everyone will have stopped, even at green lights, to make room.

Prizrak, have you ever been on the Nordschleife? During the Touristenfahrten it's not a race track.

It's a toll road without speed limits. Huge difference. ;) Although most people don't get this

[EDIT] Ooohh note to myself, refresh page before posting...
Sadly not, and like I said you can call it what you want but when if it quacks like a duck...

- - - Updated - - -

AFAIK even during a trackday overtaking is generally done on the left.
WHY ARE WE DISAGREEING SO MUCH LATELY!?!?
I don't know but it makes me sad :(

- - - Updated - - -

That's completely backwards. Over here, if you see a vehicle on an emergency run, you are mandated to MOVE THE FUCK OUT OF THE WAY AND STAY THERE UNTIL THE VEHICLE PASSES, doesn't matter if you mount a kerb or go through a red, because everyone will have stopped, even at green lights, to make room.

I believe it's similar here, you are allowed to move out of the way even if going through a red.

Well, only because you refuse to acknowledge the facts. :p

During touristenfahrten it's not a racetrack. There's no pit stops, there's no marshals, there's no racing for position, it's just going from point A to point B on a derestricted motorway (not autobahn, mind you), as fast as you possibly can, while observing the normal road rules. You can't even complete a fast lap of the thing. :p

The same in Denmark

It is allowed to move the car out of place over here.
What is a dented car versus a couple of people and babys burning in a house?
This has happened in Germany, and German law allows pushing the car to the side.

Last edited:

That's twice in 2 days I find myself agreeing completely with Ice :|......did someone blow up Alderaan again?

I see that shit a lot, they hear sirens 'somewhere', see blue lights behind them (if they even know what those shiny things on the side of their car are for that is) and freeze in panic, I saw someone back into an ambulance in a very similar situation once, sad thing is, this meant the ambulance drivers had to get out and make sure misses Homemaker was ok, losing valuable time.

Here you have to pull over to the right to let emergency vehicles pass. I don't know if they are allowed to just ram you out of the way, I'm thinking not (note: this is probably different for an illegally parked car - e.g. firefighters WILL run the hose through your car if you parked by a hydrant). However, I will not drive my car onto a curb to let an ambulance pass - either some moron can move out of the way and didn't or, if it's a narrow street, I'll just keep driving until there is enough space to pull over. I can't imagine any insurance claim adjuster would readily accept the "I destroyed my wheel and tire and threw the alignment off because there was an ambulance and I decided to jump a curb; don't worry though, most of the pedestrians jumped out of the way in time" excuse.

Curbs are much lower over here, I park my Eos on the curb every day and there's no ding on the purrrty wheels yet.

As for pulling over to the right, you just have to make room. The direction isn't specified in most situations because that gives you the biggest flexibility to make room.
The Autobahn is an exception, you're supposed to pull to the left in the leftmost lane and to the right in all the other lanes, forming a clear emergency-vehicle-lane between the fast lane and the next lane over... in theory, that rarely works in reality because of this thread's topic.

Well, only because you refuse to acknowledge the facts. :p

During touristenfahrten it's not a racetrack. There's no pit stops, there's no marshals, there's no racing for position, it's just going from point A to point B on a derestricted motorway (not autobahn, mind you), as fast as you possibly can, while observing the normal road rules. You can't even complete a fast lap of the thing. :p
There are marshals there, watch any video where there is a crash. So you have many cars, all going in the same direction as fast as they can, there is no speed limit and you have no designated overtake points. How is it not a racetrack again? Whatever the German authorities want to call it doesn't change what it actually is.

- - - Updated - - -

Curbs are much lower over here, I park my Eos on the curb every day and there's no ding on the purrrty wheels yet.
I always found that idea weird, it's a thing pretty much everywhere in Europe as far as I been at least and definitely in mother Russia but will get you a nice a juicy ticket (and a possible tow) everywhere stateside.

There are marshals there, watch any video where there is a crash. So you have many cars, all going in the same direction as fast as they can, there is no speed limit and you have no designated overtake points. How is it not a racetrack again? Whatever the German authorities want to call it doesn't change what it actually is.

What the German authorities (or rather the owners/operators of the toll road) call it matters very much when they ban you for violating just that. Anything else is just your opinion... man.

I always found that idea weird, it's a thing pretty much everywhere in Europe as far as I been at least and definitely in mother Russia but will get you a nice a juicy ticket (and a possible tow) everywhere stateside.

Parking on the curb is banned here as well by default, except where allowed by this sign and its many variants:

It's mostly present in residential areas such as mine.

As for pulling over to the right, you just have to make room. The direction isn't specified in most situations because that gives you the biggest flexibility to make room.
The Autobahn is an exception, you're supposed to pull to the left in the leftmost lane and to the right in all the other lanes, forming a clear emergency-vehicle-lane between the fast lane and the next lane over... in theory, that rarely works in reality because of this thread's topic.
I think it makes sense to have everyone pull over in a given designated direction so you avoid having cars move in different directions and not really freeing up a path at all. There are some unofficial exceptions to the always-move-right rule, such as if the emergency vehicle need a to make a right turn.

Nope.
Forbidden during the Touristenfahrten.

And YES, of course, 90% of the people do it. But that doesn't make it more legal than the rules actually say it is. It's for a nice sporty drive, not an aggressive lap.

Everyone who is trying to get a fast BtG lap during a brimfull day on the Nordschleife is an idiot. I tend to not visit the Touristenfahrten any more because of exactly this.
Most people who have designated track tools try to do it via Freies Fahren (half a day track day) or via GLP (time trial). It's way safer, way less idiots who crash their cars.
The Touristenfahrten are mostly a place for Hoonigans just like the Guy in the S2000.

Oh and it's mostly non-German people who think they're the best and crash within the first couple of laps. Happens every day a couple of times...

Nope.

And YES, of course, 90% of the people do it. But that doesn't make it more legal than the rules actually say it is. It's for a nice sporty drive, not an aggressive lap.

Everyone who is trying to get a fast BtG lap during a brimfull day on the Nordschleife is an idiot. I tend to not visit the Touristenfahrten any more because of exactly this.
Most people who have designated track tools try to do it via Freies Fahren (half a day track day) or via GLP (time trial). It's way safer, way less idiots who crash their cars.
The Touristenfahrten are mostly a place for Hoonigans just like the Guy in the S2000.

Oh and it's mostly non-German people who think they're the best and crash within the first couple of laps. Happens every day a couple of times...
It's forbidden to go as fast as you can on the 'ring during Touristenfahrten? So there is a speed limit on the 'ring in effect?

- - - Updated - - -

What the German authorities (or rather the owners/operators of the toll road) call it matters very much when they ban you for violating just that. Anything else is just your opinion... man.
Considering that I could describe every single race track as a one way street with no limit... Also if you go to any open to the public track day you are also not fighting for position but it's still a racetrack.

Considering that I could describe every single race track as a one way street with no limit... Also if you go to any open to the public track day you are also not fighting for position but it's still a racetrack.

You can call all of them a one-way street, sure... however, this is a *public* one-way street. All the rules of the road apply, including MOT and registration and noise limits and whatnot. It's posted everywhere around the 'Ring entrance, announced regularly, and you agree to that when buying your ticket and when entering the 'Ring.

"No undertaking" is at 2:30.

Last edited:
Erm, no. You are of course allowed to go as fast as you like within the general rules of the road and your own abilities. You are just not supposed to measure your time. ;)