Idiots + cars = LOL

is there any actual point to having 50 police cars (some miles behind from actual chase) chasing 1 vehicle?
i know thats how it is from every chase movie ever but in real life do any of the police once joined stop the pursuit before it is over?

3 things from that video...

1, Why is there so much shit on the hard shoulder ?
2, situational awareness of people sucks
3, why do they need so many cops for one car? Do they get a bonus if they are there at the arrest or something?

is there any actual point to having 50 police cars (some miles behind from actual chase) chasing 1 vehicle?
i know thats how it is from every chase movie ever but in real life do any of the police once joined stop the pursuit before it is over?

Yes, there is a point to having so many police cars chase someone and be present at the arrest. It turns out to be statistically safer for the officers *and* for the pursued suspect, believe it or not. Looking back and seeing just a wall of cop cars and cops will more often than not cause the pursuee to be peaceful when they finally give up as they will realize there's no point in further resistance - there's just too many cops for them to have a hope of escape. It's a known psychological effect. Or, put another way, the more cops that are there at the arrest the less likely it is that someone will get shot.

When you get a chase like this that goes through several jurisdictions, you get officers from all levels joining and leaving the chase as their jurisdictions' policies dictate. This chase went some 60-odd miles and went through several cities and counties. What typically happens is that each jurisdiction that the chase goes through will have one or more officers join the chase and depending on department policies if they are not the primary unit in pursuit (i.e., the first car behind the fleeing vehicle) when the vehicle leaves their jurisdiction (the city, county, state or other organization they work for) they will either continue pursuit for a while to provide backup for the primary or will cease pursuit. Not all the jurisdictions this chase went through were present at the final arrest - there was the Benbrook (city) Police who had started the pursuit, there was the Harris County Sheriff's Department that spike stripped the fleeing vehicle and the Texas Department of Public Safety trooper who took over primary chase duties and performed the arrest plus one or two others. So, yes, cops will rotate into and out of the pursuit based on need and department policies.

- - - Updated - - -

3 things from that video...

1, Why is there so much shit on the hard shoulder ?
2, situational awareness of people sucks
3, why do they need so many cops for one car? Do they get a bonus if they are there at the arrest or something?

3 has been answered above. 2 is true and exacerbated by the noise insulation of modern vehicles plus the advent of smartphones and other in-car distractions. 1 is not uncommon for rural highways and interstates; there are simply too many miles of road to keep them all swept all the time. A lot of the debris was tire treads lost by tractor-trailer trucks.

Last edited:
French police in Rennes stopped a slow moving car because there was so much smoke inside it!

http://www.ouest-france.fr/bretagne...la-voiture-que-la-police-l-intercepte-4660669

CzEVJhlWQAALERT.jpg

Snoop Doggy dog was visiting

Montreal's First Snowfall Of The Year
[video=youtube;vmjzav6o-l4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmjzav6o-l4[/video]

"Make sure you hit the right pedal"

Spoilered because someone gets hit, but he does get up.

Driver of blue Renault is a complete asshat nutsack?

"Make sure you hit the right pedal"

Spoilered because someone gets hit, but he does get up.

I think he did press the right pedal...he needed to press the left one :p

Ford Worries You?re Not Able to Understand this Round, Shiny Thing

Are people really that? incompetent when operating a vehicle?

... Have you not been driving in public lately? And did you not just comment on someone who couldn't figure out what pedal to hit?

And in any case, that rotary gear selector has already been proven out by Jaguar. This one actually looks to be better.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, with Return To Park - still better than Fiat's idiotic Deathshifter implementation. :p

:lol:
True.

It is second-nature for me:
Park->Parking Brake
And even if I forget, the car would either stall or just idle, because I never owned an auto...
In fact, the 5 or 6 times I drove a car that wasn't a manual, I had to remember the procedure:
This year's Ringmeet wasn't different when I drove Joe's 5-series.
"So, remind me again: brake, pull button, Drive, right?"
And when we stopped I had to ask again:
"OK. Stop, Neutral, turn off and Park?"
:lol:

"OK. Stop, Neutral, turn off and Park?"

Eh? Didn't know that was a thing. I just shove mine in to park before turning the engine off. :dunno:

I don't understand why this is news worthy. Lincoln has had Return to Park since almost the beginning of the button shifters. From a quick skim of that link, its literally the same operation. Except they never bothered giving it a marketing name.