Idiots + cars = LOL

Thanks guys for the useful info. :) Had no idea about this stuff. Guess my anti-technology bias stopped me from researching it. Lesson learned!

But that goes against how every other car operates. It's an expected norm/assumption that if you need to adjust something that fell in back seat or whatever that you could pull over, pop it in park, do what you need to do and keep moving.

Because the car is still on. It's not a matter of door open/closed...Teslas turn off when your weight is off the driver's seat. It's fucking stupid. Even if he would have left the door open, like one might if they were doing something super quick in the back, the car would have shut off.
But the car is always *on* since there is no ICE to turn over and idle, though even then many new cars have stop/start feature. Essentially it doesn't matter if the car is *off* you get in and you can start driving so I see the point in that.

- - - Updated - - -

I assumed you meant a start button on the dash. I don't like them. I'd rather have the familiar "turn a thing" interface, since it's what's been around for a while and works fine. I haven't found a benefit to start buttons that makes them worthwhile, yet.

Ah, both my "advanced" fobs have a way to start the car even when the fob battery is dead. The keys plug into the car, one way or another. I took photos of the Mazda's interface, first with the plastic stand-in that's used normally, and then with the physical "backup" key partially inserted. The Mazda, at least, will happily run on just the backup key, even if I leave the body of the fob at home (maybe the RFID/whatever functionality is in the physical key instead of the main fob body). That's actually part of why I like the "turn a thing" interface: the place where I need to insert the backup key is immediately obvious - it's the place I turn the fob to start the car. IMO, this sort of thing is the best of both worlds. You get "keyless" functionality when you want it, but have the physical key, fully functional, if needed.

Very much agree with this, aside from the fact that I actually enjoy turning the key it's a very obvious and simple interface that literally everyone is familiar with and can still be used with keyless entry like you said.

Very much agree with this, aside from the fact that I actually enjoy turning the key it's a very obvious and simple interface that literally everyone is familiar with and can still be used with keyless entry like you said.

In terms of "obvious and simple", 'push a button' wins over 'insert a key - but only when the steering wheel lock isn't under load - and then turn it the correct amount in the correct direction'.

In terms of "obvious and simple", 'push a button' wins over 'insert a key - but only when the steering wheel lock isn't under load - and then turn it the correct amount in the correct direction'.

Point.

You

Since your reading comprehension is off today, what equi said is NOT that she inserts a key but that her car has a keyhole with a plastic bit inserted into it that she can turn like a normal key. As in it works exactly like a normal key would, you can turn it to "ON", "ACC", "READY", "OFF" instead of trying to figure out how to do that with a push button. What's more the interface is familiar to literally everyone and completely standardized and intuitive.

Since your reading comprehension is off today, what equi said is NOT that she inserts a key but that her car has a keyhole with a plastic bit inserted into it that she can turn like a normal key. As in it works exactly like a normal key would, you can turn it to "ON", "ACC", "READY", "OFF" instead of trying to figure out how to do that with a push button. What's more the interface is familiar to literally everyone and completely standardized and intuitive.
Yeah, if we were starting from scratch with options of "on" and "off", a push button would be more intuitive. But we're not starting from scratch, and there's not just on and off. Given that the "twist for position" is so well known and handles multiple potential settings in a clear fashion, IMO it's superior in the real world.

Yeah, if we were starting from scratch with options of "on" and "off", a push button would be more intuitive. But we're not starting from scratch, and there's not just on and off. Given that the "twist for position" is so well known and handles multiple potential settings in a clear fashion, IMO it's superior in the real world.

On and Off are also tricky with a button, to me "hold for off" is not only unintuitive but also irritatingly slow, it may take as much time to turn the key from "ON" to "OFF" position as it does to hold the button to turn the car off (pretty sure it doesn't since it's usually 3 seconds and you can turn the key in 1) but because I'm doing something it doesn't feel like I'm just waiting.

*IF* we only had "ON" and "OFF" the most intuitive would be a toggle, just like we already do with windshield wipers and indicators (unless you are BMW because reasons?), it is instant tactile feedback as to the state of the vehicle. Now in an ICE car where it's generally obvious the engine is running it might not seem like a big deal but in a hybrid or an electric car that instant feedback can be very helpful. It's very easy to jump out of the car in a rush (as my Prius driving friend* has done a couple of times) and forget to turn it off. This is actually where Tesla programming of "turn off once ass not in seat and lock when door closed" makes logical sense. Push button marginally increases convenience of starting the car while making it harder to get into any other mode and takes away simple feedback of knowing when your car is on. It is literally engineering a solution where no problem existed in the first place.

*Neither one of us is sure WHY we are friends

On and Off are also tricky with a button, to me "hold for off" is not only unintuitive but also irritatingly slow, it may take as much time to turn the key from "ON" to "OFF" position as it does to hold the button to turn the car off (pretty sure it doesn't since it's usually 3 seconds and you can turn the key in 1) but because I'm doing something it doesn't feel like I'm just waiting.

*IF* we only had "ON" and "OFF" the most intuitive would be a toggle, just like we already do with windshield wipers and indicators (unless you are BMW because reasons?), it is instant tactile feedback as to the state of the vehicle. Now in an ICE car where it's generally obvious the engine is running it might not seem like a big deal but in a hybrid or an electric car that instant feedback can be very helpful. It's very easy to jump out of the car in a rush (as my Prius driving friend* has done a couple of times) and forget to turn it off. This is actually where Tesla programming of "turn off once ass not in seat and lock when door closed" makes logical sense. Push button marginally increases convenience of starting the car while making it harder to get into any other mode and takes away simple feedback of knowing when your car is on. It is literally engineering a solution where no problem existed in the first place.

*Neither one of us is sure WHY we are friends

But you don't have to hold the button to turn it off. All you do is push it once just like you would to turn it on. You only hold the button down to turn it off in an emergency (can also tap the button quickly 3 times in most cars).

I was skeptical believe me. I was like - i have a key, why do i need this. Then I rented a Fusion Titanium with Intelligent Access and Remote Start.

It's small, but the fact that it was the dead of fucking winter and all I needed to do was pull the door handle and get in was amazing. Ditto just pushing the dead obvious and well marked button instead of digging for the key, finding it, inserting the key and then turning the key (or feeling round the column for and then turning just a fake key).

When you use the push button, a light comes on in the button just like most other devices that people interact with everyday. When you turn the car off, the light goes out.

There's a tactile difference between turning a faux key (which can look and feel like a bit of an afterthought depending on design) and hitting a button but both are good in their own way. At least on the Fusion I sampled, the button felt like it belonged in a 35k car (as it should being a Titanium) nothing flimsy or cheap feeling about it. Nicely detented and weighty.

But you don't have to hold the button to turn it off. All you do is push it once just like you would to turn it on. You only hold the button down to turn it off in an emergency (can also tap the button quickly 3 times in most cars).

I was skeptical believe me. I was like - i have a key, why do i need this. Then I rented a Fusion Titanium with Intelligent Access and Remote Start.

It's small, but the fact that it was the dead of fucking winter and all I needed to do was pull the door handle and get in was amazing. Ditto just pushing the dead obvious and well marked button instead of digging for the key, finding it, inserting the key and then turning the key (or feeling round the column for and then turning just a fake key).

When you use the push button, a light comes on in the button just like most other devices that people interact with everyday. When you turn the car off, the light goes out.

There's a tactile difference between turning a faux key (which can look and feel like a bit of an afterthought depending on design) and hitting a button but both are good in their own way. At least on the Fusion I sampled, the button felt like it belonged in a 35k car (as it should being a Titanium) nothing flimsy or cheap feeling about it. Nicely detented and weighty.

In the three Nissans I drove it's hold for 3 seconds, says so right on the button. I never had to dig for my keys, I hold them in my hand when I come outside, I can put said hand in my jacket pocket to keep it warm. I don't remember ever having to hunt for the keyhole for ignition, on an unfamiliar car sure it might take a second (though they tend to be in roughly same place on all cars) but my own cars location is in muscle memory.

Light being on is cool and all but:
a) you have to actually look at it
b) it may not be visible under bright conditions

I don't care how the button feels, a fake key can feel nice or not it's all in the materials they use.

Every car with keyless entry I had so far, starts and stops the engine on a single push of a button. This includes Ford, VW, BMW, Audi, Jaguar and Mercedes.

This only works while the car stands still, though. If for some reason you want to shut down the engine while driving, you need to press the button for a couple of seconds.

While that is where she was actually going, I'm pretty sure she thought she was going to get away with it for some reason - and that 'I'm sorry' would make it all go away. :p

Maybe because movies have taught us since forever that the type of car is totally unimportant and that you can make up any difference in engine power, handling and brakes simply by being a better driver? And that you can put Vin Diesel in a small shoebox with a microscopic sterling engine and he will still win a drag race against a Veyron as long as he has a million gears he can randomly shift through?

Wow. I'm actually surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. I'm constantly seeing these types of d-bags on the tollway around here doing this same stuff. Spectre and such can back me up on that.

If he'd paid any sort of attention other than looking at the car he's passing as he crashes, he could easily have fit in behind it. It doesn't happen more often because most people aren't utter morons like that.

Over here it's illegal to change lanes in a tunnel. Not that the dope in the above video was paying attention to the law, anyway...

Illegal to change if it's a two way tunnel, perfectly fine with a one way multi-lane tunnel.

Some allow lane changes here, others like the Dartford crossing have double solid white lines and signs to indicate you need to stay in your lane. It's illegal to cross double white lines.

Well, yeah, but that has nothing to do with it being a tunnel, but solely with road markings.