Idiots + cars = LOL

Roadside assistance? What's that? Never felt the need to have that and waste money every year.

It pays for itself over time. Free short-range towing, car batteries replaced at a discount and on the spot, free windscreen chip repairs, cheap windscreen replacement. I can also get discounted accommodation at countless places across the country through my NRMA membership.

Same here - while neither Lucille nor the Kadett ever left me stranded and I am pretty apt at fixing them up, I could not risk ruin a holiday with my girlfriend by "waiting for a part for a week". So having Europe-wide home-towing and a free rental is paramount.

On a lighter note:
C9d-RfcXkAAhum3.jpg:large

http://www.tagesspiegel.de/berlin/p...n-bei-unfall-schwer-beschaedigt/19675468.html
(Translation: McLaren driver lost it on a wet road)

I always have breakdown cover on my cars, no matter how cheap they are. It is usually bundled together with other coverage such as vandalism and in some cases one-car accidents, so it's inevitably useful if I'm going to spend decades driving beaters spiritedly. A tow probably costs as much as a year's insurance on any of my cars, so it makes sense.

IMO both are idiots, Morgan could have waited. Pug seemed to be going too fast and neither one of them thought to use the shoulder to avoid the crash.

IMO both are idiots, Morgan could have waited. Pug seemed to be going too fast and neither one of them thought to use the shoulder to avoid the crash.

Wow that Morgan driver was the bigger idiot but yea both were probably not thinking clearly. The Morgan driver is lucky he wasn't decapitated.

It scares me to see how this resembles to something happened in my neighbourhood some days ago.

A man drove at high speed completely drunk, hit a bike, killing a young woman, was forced to stop by the damage, the fled the scene and called the police reporting the theft of his car. Too bad the injured firend he left behind in the car confirmed he was the driver at the moment. Luckily, for what it's worth, he -will- be punished: he will probably be sentenced to 4-5 years in prison, plus his driving licence will be revoked for 15 years, if not for life (the law here has the problem that it is too harsh on people who did nothing particularly wrong, not with people like him).

The trouble is: how can people like him or these morons get adult without grow up in the first place, and behind a wheel in the second?

I don't quite understand why you get punished less when you did something while being totally drunk. You chose to get drunk in the first place while being completely sober, and at least in that state you should be aware of all the consequences. If anything, you should get punished even more, because you did not one but two stupid things.

It actually is, here. The problem we face is that you risk 5 years in prison and several years of your driving licence even if you were following all the rules and you got distracted for a secodn, exactly as if you were passing a red light at high speed while totally drunk.

If the problem is why manslaughter is punished differently if committed by car or by gun... then I don't know.

Yes, hence why the discussion is rampant here; the law is written so as to keep in too small account the intent. It is so because the law before kept it into so high account that the drunk guy passing a red at high speed was almost always convicted with low punishments, and released shortly thereafter. Because he could just argue that he wouldn't kill anyone and was just driving.

The problem is in the legal system, I know, but here is what happens when you superpose too many convoluted laws.

Last edited:
Yes, hence why the discussion is rampant here; the law is written so as to keep in too small account the intent. It is so because the law before kept it into so high account that the drunk guy passing a red at high speed was almost always convicted with low punishments, and released shortly thereafter. Because he could just argue that he wouldn't kill anyone and was just driving.

The problem is in the legal system, I know, but here is what happens when you superpose too many convoluted laws.

That's quite strange, US justice system handles it very simply, if you are drunk behind the wheel you get anally violated because you had intentionally gotten into a car drunk.

The idea is the same here, except the law must be written so it applies to you even if you are doing nothing at all.

Or they just can't write a law, for some reason (which is quite possible)

US also has stupid laws like getting charged with a DUI while just sitting or even sleeping in your car.

The idea is the same here, except the law must be written so it applies to you even if you are doing nothing at all.
What do you mean?

The main idea of this law was to punish criminals (very drunk people speeding with no regards to other people's lives).

The result is that that part is ok (from 8 up to 18 years in prison for the worst scenarios), but if you kill or severely injure someone -and- you have broken any road law (and by "broken" it might mean mild speeding, not yielding, failure to stop in time... you name it, included most of the reasons a crash occurs, and the code is long and sometimes very specific), you risk 6 months (injuries) to 7 years (death) in prison and your licence revoked with ban from getting a new one for 5 years, even with no alcohol involved.

We've gotten from one extreme to the other.

US also has stupid laws like getting charged with a DUI while just sitting or even sleeping in your car.
If your key is in the ignition and you are sitting in the drivers seat, you can also be charged with a DUI in Denmark.

Idiots + cars = LOL

Well, that makes sense. If you're sleeping it off and keys are in the cup holder or your pocket and you're sleeping? Who the fuck cares. It seems weird the cops should actively LOOKING for to make sure people aren't screwing up.

Does that even make sense?

I was visiting a friend in another state a few years ago. We were out drinking and somehow got separated; I couldn't reach anyone by phone so I just walked back to his apartment, figuring that his girlfriend would let me in. Unfortunately, when I got there I realize that she had already gone to sleep and I didn't even have her number to call her. Rather than sitting outside on the cold stone steps freezing my ass off, I got in my car and started it, just to keep warm while I waited for my friend to come back from the bar. Just for that I could've gotten a DUI, which would've f*cked me over for life. With my current job it would especially f*ck me over because I'd lose my job AND never be allowed to work in the same industry.