Idling turbocharged engine?

bone said:
do diesel engines have the same problem?

could explain why our previous patrol needed the turbo replaced 3 times

Yeah they do. This is a thing that most owners of a turbocharged car don't know. And they pay biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig money for repairs and so on.

aceshigh said:
bone said:

Yeah they do. This is a thing that most owners of a turbocharged car don't know. And they pay biiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiig money for repairs and so on.

You're right, BUT the thing is that the turbo's on diesel engines aren't that big (they're actually very little), and don't have to work too hard (diesel engines aren't sporty, low rpm,...). So it doesn't matter THAT much on diesel engines.

freerider said:
aceshigh said:
bone said:

You're right, BUT the thing is that the turbo's on diesel engines aren't that big (they're actually very little), and don't have to work too hard (diesel engines aren't sporty, low rpm,...). So it doesn't matter THAT much on diesel engines.

But it still matters. Idling the engine after hard driving or pulling something (i.e trailer etc. etc.) will cool down the oil and will continue the turbocharger lifetime.

hmm, almost two pages and no one has yelled repost yet??

Granted this whole turbo thing was discussed a LONG time ago but still...

aceshigh said:
But it still matters. Idling the engine after hard driving or pulling something (i.e trailer etc. etc.) will cool down the oil and will continue the turbocharger lifetime.

As stated before, cooling down the turbo by idling the engine isn't too healthy either. You need to drive slow (like with a cold engine) so it can still breath and the air will help the cool the oil.

And no, you don't have to do it with a modern turbo diesel. Especially since the exhaust fumes are way less hot than the one of a petrol engine -> less stress for the turbo

If the turbo cools down too quickly, you can also crack the housing.

But that relates to what other people said, to cool it down slowly.

There is no coking with foil bearings.

Didn't notice a this thread...

Well i drive a turboed car, and each time you drive the car "hard" you should wait 30 seconds before shutting down to let all the gas get out of the turbo. You could always get a turbo-timer or what not. I dunno why big expensive cars never do the wait 30-seconds thing.

freerider said:
have you ever seen the turbos on a diesel truck?

zenkidori said:
freerider said:
have you ever seen the turbos on a diesel truck?

i was thinking the same thing, the diesel on the patrol doesn't look that small at all, and a friend has a turbo from a ford scorpio 2.3 diesel or sth laying in his room, and that thing is almost the size of those you find on big block V8s

is it even legal to install turbo timer ??

I didn't drive turbo car, but from what i heard
apparently, it is illegal to have your engine running while you're not in the car.
therefore, turbo timer (which means the engine still idles after you got off the car) is a big no-no

sydney_walker said:

apparently, it is illegal to have your engine running while you're not in the car.
therefore, turbo timer (which means the engine still idles after you got off the car) is a big no-no

Depends on local regs, but I believe that in Australia it's illegal.

zenkidori said:
On my dad's old Ford F350 you could probably have gotten your arm thru the center of the compressor housing.

Lol, something like that would take about 6 weeks to spool in and then give you about 5 million bhp at max boost. Sweet

why does the engine actually keep running?

can't you just use an electro pump which keeps your oil flowing :unsure:

bone said:

In general no, not really... the exhaust temps are lower in diesels, and the turbos (while still hot) are not nearly as vulnerable because of the initally lower temps. This is only really needed after very hard driving. For instance, if you drove stright up a mountian and shut it down just as you reached the summit, then maybe. Normally as long as the last minute or two of driving is "conservative" you are safe.

bone said:
why does the engine actually keep running?

can't you just use an electro pump which keeps your oil flowing :unsure:
you could, but that would draw extra amps without the battery charging, and you'd need to install a whole new pump system instead of some little electronic device that is essentially just a delay circuit.

too much work for nothing.

Modern turbos are water cooled which keeps temps down, but that's not the idea. The reason they use water cooling is when the engine is shut off the water that's in the turbo boils out and is replaced by more. This way you get a nice gradual cool down.

sydney_walker said:

the 'engine' (cylinders) dont have to be operational, just some electric pump to move fluid. on my gold, the radiator fan kicks on occasionally when the car is not running, and there are warnings as to such on the cover. hence the reason to detach the battery when working on it.