If Cadillac Keeps Growing Like This, It'll Be America's Bestselling Luxury Car

Too bad Cadillacs are ugly.

I don't like Cadillac's new logo. Where I live I've seen a few people tattoo the old Cadillac Logo's on the back of their shaved heads. Not sure the new logo will inspire that kind of brand loyalty.:lol:

D: you's trollin...

No, I'm quite serious. I like that they're improving in terms of performance, but I don't like their look at all. There is nothing timeless about their designs and for a luxury car, that is a problem IMO.

They are far too angular.

Curvy shapes are much better.

I thought that was a customer requirement for the segment? It'd sure explain a lot of Mercedes, BMWs, and Lexodes. :p

For realsies.

I thought that was a customer requirement for the segment? It'd sure explain a lot of Mercedes, BMWs, and Lexodes. :p

Agreed, however there is still a model or two in BMW's and MBZ's lineup that has a timeless look. Cadillac has had no such design for quite some time now.

Test drove a 328i and ATS, bought the ATS. Maybe there's something to this article after all.... :dunno:

Reactions: TC
Congrats! What swayed you to the Caddy?

The handling. The ATS is just silly nimble, the chassis feels a lot stiffer, and it just begs to turn in. Still haven't found it's grip limit (which is quite odd to me since I was so used to pushing the Mustang past 10/10, this thing just sticks and sticks). They were both about the same in acceleration, both of them even use the same transmission (GM's 6L50). The 3'er had better looking gauges, but the ATS had a nicer overall (albeit smaller) interior, I thought. In person I liked the looks of the ATS exterior a lot more too. It was a leftover 2013, so I got a screaming deal also.

Jaguar's sales are basically too small to make it on that graphic. In 2012 they sold 12,011 cars for the entire year in the US. 2013? 16,952, full year.

To put that in perspective, Audi sold 158,061 cars in 2013.

Also, apparently just about nobody wants the F-Type. US sales numbers since it went on sale in May:

May 159
June 417
July 341
August 401
September 172
October 353
November 222
December 185

The Boxster outsold it every single month (usually by a significant margin) but August and October.

And Porsche sells roughly double the cars that Jag does overall. Is it a failure if the F-Type is selling at a an average of 281 cars for the eight months it was on sale vs. The Boxster's 347?

Although since the F-type is either a coupe or convertible you need to include the Cayman in those totals. Porsche sold an average of 366 Caymans over the same time period so that is over 700 combined average per month.

That makes it look worse but then if you look at the Z4 which only sold 203 per month on average so the F-type is trouncing the Z4 while the whole Jag brand only sells seven percent of the volume that BMW sells. It is much easier for BMW salespeople to work their client base to leverage sales of the Z4 then it is for Jag salespeople to do the same thing. The relative age of the current Z4 model is probably hurting it but the cheaper price and higher support volume from the overall BMW brand should outweigh that.

The handling. The ATS is just silly nimble, the chassis feels a lot stiffer, and it just begs to turn in. Still haven't found it's grip limit (which is quite odd to me since I was so used to pushing the Mustang past 10/10, this thing just sticks and sticks). They were both about the same in acceleration, both of them even use the same transmission (GM's 6L50). The 3'er had better looking gauges, but the ATS had a nicer overall (albeit smaller) interior, I thought. In person I liked the looks of the ATS exterior a lot more too. It was a leftover 2013, so I got a screaming deal also.

You drove a <2013 328i I suppose?
Had an old 3 series myself, 2007 320d Estate, the interior was just awful. ATS would be the better option. At the end it was this which drove me to Audi ultimately.
But, since the new model came out last year, the interior became quite pretty and nice to be honest. Got back to european standard. Forgive me, but the 2005-2012 3-series felt quite american regarding the interior.

You drove a <2013 328i I suppose?
Had an old 3 series myself, 2007 320d Estate, the interior was just awful. ATS would be the better option. At the end it was this which drove me to Audi ultimately.
But, since the new model came out last year, the interior became quite pretty and nice to be honest. Got back to european standard. Forgive me, but the 2005-2012 3-series felt quite american regarding the interior.

It was a 2013. I agree, the interior is nicer than say my boss's 2008 3'er, definitely nice in it's own right, just preferred the Caddy's.

I was a bit confused when I read that Caddillac is competing in the luxury segment, as they don't have a single model in the category that is called "luxury" in Europe.

After I read into it on Wikipedia, it was clear that what is called "middle class" in Germany is "entry luxury" in the US. Talk about confusion.

BTW: The only luxury car from the US according to European standards is the Model S.

I was a bit confused when I read that Caddillac is competing in the luxury segment, as they don't have a single model in the category that is called "luxury" in Europe.

After I read into it on Wikipedia, it was clear that what is called "middle class" in Germany is "entry luxury" in the US. Talk about confusion.

BTW: The only luxury car from the US according to European standards is the Model S.
Yeah, we will call anything luxury, so long as it's very nicely appointed and comfortable, rather than simply basing it on size.

The Tesla Model S isn't really that big either.

luxcars_001.jpg

Last edited: