• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

if some one is trying to buy new HD, check its real size...

Galantti

Is all about the suomibass
DONOR
Joined
Dec 5, 2004
Messages
2,349
Location
Vantaa, Finland
Car(s)
VW id3, Honda NM4 Vultus
I made little javascirpt, whitch calkulates the "real" size of your HD.
Click here


But it's not acurate, so don't blame me if its wrong.
 
so, what's the point really?

haz
 
Mine is dead on....

HDs do have certain percentages that it can't use...when a box says 120 Gigs, its not really 120 gigs...its 112 gigs.
 
Re: if some one is trying to buy new HD, check its real size

Re: if some one is trying to buy new HD, check its real size

viilaaja@pt cruiser said:
I made little javascirpt, whitch calkulates the "real" size of your HD.
Click here


But it's not acurate, so don't blame me if its wrong.

That's pretty cool. Good job man :thumbsup: :).
 
It's not percentages, Viper, I think it was Viper, explained it before. It's how they count the bytes, manufactuers count a gig as 1000MB and OS's count a gig as 1024MB.
So technically it's not propaganda, just crap :)
The ISO people should do something about that. <_<
 
Cruzz563 said:
It's not percentages, Viper, I think it was Viper, explained it before. It's how they count the bytes, manufactuers count a gig as 1000MB and OS's count a gig as 1024MB.
So technically it's not propaganda, just crap :)
Exactly. Note the capacity in bytes of my "400" GB drive. That's where they get the number:

400gbhd.jpg
 
Re: if some one is trying to buy new HD, check its real size

Re: if some one is trying to buy new HD, check its real size

Mischief007 said:
viilaaja@pt cruiser said:
I made little javascirpt, whitch calkulates the "real" size of your HD.
Click here


But it's not acurate, so don't blame me if its wrong.

That's pretty cool. Good job man :thumbsup: :).

thanks, i nearly pass the exam with javascript, so this was so hard to do.
 
mrkrazzy said:
Oh, to have a hard drive that big :shock:

But yes manufacturer's use this tatic as a marketing scam
It's not really a scam. If you look, it'll say on the box.

1024 comes from 2^32 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.). 1000 comes from 1, 10, 100, 1000, etc. Just two different methods and I'm not sure if there is a set standard or not.
 
^^^^
Could'nt you have let me think it was? Well not to worry I still do.
Can't say I've actually ever seen a hdd box, when you buy wholesale they come in clear flimsy plastic packets with not a marking on the packaging whatsoever
8)
 
Viper007Bond said:
mrkrazzy said:
Oh, to have a hard drive that big :shock:

But yes manufacturer's use this tatic as a marketing scam
It's not really a scam. If you look, it'll say on the box.

1024 comes from 2^32 (2, 4, 8, 16, 32, etc.). 1000 comes from 1, 10, 100, 1000, etc. Just two different methods and I'm not sure if there is a set standard or not.

jeah viper, the hd's are calculated with binary, and the HD's box i thing is calculated via decimal's.

then there is hexadecimal and octal number system, with i think are also used in computer world.
 
SL65AMG~V12~604BHP!!!!!!! said:
Thanks for that link but you have just spoiled my day! Some of you might be aware that i'm in the process of getting a 250GB External H/D...and now I find out its only like 234GB!!!!!!!!! :shock::thumbsdown:
http://forum.finalgear.com/viewtopic.php?t=4033&start=0
OMG THAT SUCKS...maybe I should get a 300GB model.

sorry that i ruined your day :( .
 
viilaaja@pt cruiser said:
Then there is hexadecimal and octal number system, with i think are also used in computer world.

111 040 042 150 145 141 162 164 072 040 117 143 164 141 154 040 040 124 106

48 65 78 20 69 73 20 61 6C 73 6F 20 70 72 65 74 74 79 20 62 61 64 20 61 73 73
 
Cruzz563 said:
It's not percentages, Viper, I think it was Viper, explained it before. It's how they count the bytes, manufactuers count a gig as 1000MB and OS's count a gig as 1024MB.
So technically it's not propaganda, just crap :)
The ISO people should do something about that. <_<

i calculadet that prosentage with vipers drives, witch he made us see in HERE .
 
The_Finn said:
111 040 042 150 145 141 162 164 072 040 117 143 164 141 154 040 040 124 106

what an earth?
 
Its not a marketing scam, if youve ever bought a HD in your life, you would know about this, we've discussed this before, its a way they calculate vs the way its normally calculated. Plus their is always a disclaimer on the box. once you get used to the difference, it doesnt matter anyway. :)
 
Top