If you could live in any decade...

Someone seems to have bypassed his "good taste" chip.

And for all those people who are saying that they'd like to live in '20's America, one word - Prohibition.

Meself, I'd like to live in the late Sixties - great cars, the miniskirt was big, awesome music, the Space Race - just an altogether cool time to be alive. And I was only 3 in 1969, so I didn't appreciate it back then.

Whats wrong with prohibition? Its not like you COULDN'T get a drink. And since this is more fantasy than reality, I would assume to role of some tycoon and have an assortment of airplanes, bentleys, duesenbergs, and maybe even some trains. (art deco-esque streamliners of course)

hudsonstreamliner.jpg

I blame this fantasy on a few things. Ayn Rand, Bioshock, and Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow.

Last edited:
Reactions: MWF
My hometown in the 50's and 60's was considerably more awesome, if not for Civil Rights. So I'll go visit with a DSLR and take copious notes. Drop off a few copies of "the History of Civil Rights" and point out that if they start now, the future will be easier....

My parents both grew up in the 1960s and most of their taste in music and telly was derived from said decade, so that's an era I would love to visit.

I would also like to visit the future...all the way to the year 2000!!

[YOUTUBE]MJXn13-bTlU[/YOUTUBE]

Well lets see, the 20's it was only good to be a Rich white man of Christian faith, the 30's had the depression, 40's full of war, 50's it sucked if you weren't white, 60's got a little better for that until all the riots around 67, the 70's sucked period, 80's... well I have some memory of that era and I'm not sure I want to revisit that time perpetually. Also all those time period had really bad smog in California, traffic was utterly horrible here (worse than now).

I think I'll stick with here and now and let the world keep changing. As shitty as things seem to be, the world only seems to be getting better and better... soon my land in Nevada will be water front ;)

Now if I could take advantage of knowledge I have now and go back to the past, well then things change significantly. I'd first get a masters in mechanical engineering and metallurgy then go back to a time when you still had to deal with a flint lock on guns and rule the world

This. We really don't know how well we have it until it's gone.

Granted, I would like to spend a while in the 20s too: picking up flappers, Tommy-gunning cops from the running boards of my DeSoto, and smoking "jazz cigarettes." :D

More likely you become lucky enough to survive polio and end up with 1 leg shorter than the other so you end up just being lucky enough to ride in said DeSoto, but thanks to thin steel used in the day on cars, you get shot in the head by a stray bullet before you even get to do your first "job" :p

Last edited:
1930's for sure!
The jazz music, the fashion,
maybe its the romantic in me, but the 30's seems to hold something special.

If had to just live in a decade perpetually; I'd have to say now since there's so much stuff that is available now that wasn't even ten years ago. Pick a decade to visit however and I'd gladly pick the late 20s/early 30s or the 60s. New York, Paris, Geneva, Milan or London.

Gimme the groovy Sixties, baby! And preferably, in England. I want to rock shaggy hair and drive around sporty little Jags while blasting The Beatles.

I just thought of another one. The 2000s via the 1950s outlook. Like the 2000s as those in the 1950s imagined and/or predicted. This would basically be like fallout 3 minus all of the nuclear holocaust. Just imagine driving your nuclear-fission powered trike around town.

I would have to pick the future as well. It would be fun to visit the old decades, but the living standards back then sucks. If I can pick a future, I would want to live in a terraformed Mars that's covered mostly by water.

You sure about that?
550w_doctor_who_waters_of_mars_2.jpg

Yes.
http://img121.imageshack.**/img121/8099/neovenezia20scenery.png

if i could be 18 in 1969.

The cars, the music, oh my god the music. the space race, etc

100 years from now. Hopeful the world is still intact and a free society somewhere in the world still exist.

The sixties! Best decade of music ever.

The 80s would be my second choice. Puffalumps, John Hughes movies, ridiculous clothes...what more could you need?

1990s. Best music. Best cars--Supra, NSX, 300Z, Skylines, RX7s. Ferraris were actually pretty. No twittering, facebook, or any of that bullshit. When you wanted to talk to someone, you called them on the telephone.

I actually thought the 90's was a bit of a Vacuum of good cars. Sure you had the cars you mentioned but...

NSX was nearing 100k and outpaced by the RX7, skyline, and Supra in many cases. Ferrari's may have been pretty, but until the 355, were still not all that good to drive (or so I've read).

Too many cars were shitty, FWD, econoboxes that didn't drive to well. No more RWD Alfa's, Maserati was non existent in the US market, VW's gained to much weight, BMW gave the US lesser engine in the M3, Mercedes quality went down, the American Muscle car was completely, 100% dead.

On the + side we got the Miata/MX-5 and a turbo MR2 :dunno:

If I could grad in 1993, that would be pretty solid. Kindof unintersting, but it suits my needs better than this day and age.

Either that or the far future where we have established contact with multiple alien races and can travel the universe and freely as we travel our earth today.

I was gonna say late 80s and early 90s, but then I forgot how much I'm addicted to the internet.

so no... I'm quite happy with the progression of the 21st century's technology.

I think I would like to have been born in 1968/1969...This means I would've been a teenager in the 80's...ahhh the music, heavy metal, the big hair, the girls (yes it's weird...I like how girls looked in the 80's) and of course...the Countach.

As a man who was born in 1966, let me tell you - you're not missing much. One of the hottest cars the year I graduated high school (1984) was the Camaro Z28/Firebird Trans Am with the High Output 5.0 liter V8 putting out a staggering 190 horsepower. The mid-engined Pontiac Fiero was new, but the best you could do was a 90 hp 2.5 liter I4 with a 4 speed stick. The BMW E30 was introduced, but in 4 cylinder form only - a I6 was still a couple of years away, and that was the 120 hp "eta" engine.

The automotive bright spots that year were the new Z31 300ZX Turbo with the 200 hp V6, and the Volkswagen Rabbit GTi. The new Corvette was highly praised, until automotive journalists took the cars off of the proving ground and onto the public roads. There they discovered that the taut suspension that enabled the Z51 Corvette to circle the smooth skidpad at 1g caused the car to bounce around and shake itself apart over any road that was less than perfectly smooth.

Oh, and talking cars. They *sound* like a good idea - to a kid watching "Knight Rider" - but picture a voice continuing to tell you to fasten your seatbelt because your briefcase or groceries are on the front seat, and are triggering the weight sensor to think that there's someone sitting there. AND YOU CAN"T SHUT IT OFF. Or my favorite metaphysical statement, "The door is a jar". You end up screaming at your own car. And remember, these were the days when if a man was talking to thin air, people just assumed he was crazy; not just talking to somebody on the phone.

Although I have to agree with you about the girls. I never understood the whole legwarmer thing, but I loved the spandex trousers on the girls.:wicked: On the guys, not so much. :yucky:

Phoenixsac - splashing ice cold water on your dreams since 2008

Last edited: