If you had 10k - which car or bike would you purchase as a project?

The Doc

I personally love having a project to work on.
Can be anything; Daily, Drag, Drift, Race, Road etc. Depends on your preference.

there is a 1911 buick that's in bits but mostly complete for around AUD$11k I'd take that

Yeah nice! Mine would have to be a 300zx TT. I would just swap the engine for an rb20 shed as much weight as possible.
I dont know why, I have always loved the look of them..

- - - Updated - - -

That would obviously be a drifter ;)

BMW E36 M3 with an S54 swap as a daily, track, or drift machine.

Last edited:
I already have a project car.

A 1979 Ford Falcon.
Once looked something like this: (minus the terribad stripes and awful scoop on the front bumper)
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/4448/xd1yu.jpg

10k would get it finished off quite nicely. I've already done most of the hard work: rust removal, panel repairs, etc.
Currently awaiting full respray (changing the colour), wheels need re-chroming, needs complete interior re-upholstery, and I'd pull out the alloy head I6 and throw in a 351 V8.

Should end up in a similar colour to this, with chrome accents, and a black and white interior.

Would be 99% for show, with the occasional cruise.

I'd probably go a bit overboard on the budget/haggle the guy down, and buy this 93' Ford F350 Ambulance.

Then convert it into a camper :D
If it would be half the current price, I'd probably buy it for real...

:hmm: I wonder if you can make a semi-decent Audi 90 based rally car for $10k.

Why would you buy the top model just to toss the engine out?

In my case, at least, I probably should have written that any E36 would do, but I just prefer the M3 (It also has some suspension tweaks that the base models don't get.) As for why, in my case, it's simple: more power (240hp vs ~333hp stock), as well as a desire to fit it with a "proper" M-engine. The S50us/S52 that comes in the US E36 M3 is effectively a punched out version of the M52 that comes with the lower models, and get none of the fun stuff that the euro engines get (Single throttle body vs ITBs, single VANOS vs dual VANOS in the 3.2, hydraulic lifters (which aren't happy above ~7400 rpm) vs solid lifters.)

This thread smells funny

I already have a project car.

A 1979 Ford Falcon.
Once looked something like this: (minus the terribad stripes and awful scoop on the front bumper)
http://img142.imageshack.**/img142/4448/xd1yu.jpg

It's amazing how Ford managed to make that look like a contemporary European Ford Granada without it actually being the same car.

I can also see a lot of Fox Mustang in the design. Taillights and decklid in particular.

I would probably get one of these if I had 10k.

The ID/DS started out with 6 volts and lived long enough to experience Bosch D-Jetronic. My ideal car would be a facelifted injected 21 or 23, with the clutchless transmission obviously. Wagon is optional but not frowned upon. A post-war 2.3 liter i4 might not sound like a lot but it has about 140hp which isn't half bad for a car that came on the scene in 1956.

Last edited:
10k for the car or 10k for car and finishing it?

9940 eur would probably get the Polo looking pretty nice.

10K car? Daily driver, the answer is always Miata...;-)

Same as Craig, foxbody Mustang.

10k would probably cover a cleanish notchback roller and a terminator swap.

Either a 87 Fox Body Cougar build up into a nice cruiser or if finding one was impossible, I'd take my poor daily and fix it up the way I want. Unfortunately 10k would mostly go to the engine ....... Viper V-10's are not cheap.

Datsun 240Z, probably LHD as I don't think 10k is enough to get even a poor condition RHD Fairlady Z. Alternatively, just the straight 6 from one rigged up as a running exhibit with a laminated picture of a 240Z next to it. :|