If you had a time machine....

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
2003 VW Beetle, 2017 Abarth Fiat 500c
The problem with such a major event is you might instead cause MORE people to die if you mess with things. What if you don't prevent the war, and then more people figure out nuclear weapons? What if an entire country gets blasted? You don't know what would happen and you can make it way damn worse. This is why I say we should NEVER invent time machines, because idiots would back and make things worse. People need to stop thinking about going back to fix the past and worry about predicting present issues. People are dying now and it COULD be prevented.

I'll add right now one example, stop slaves coming to America? I can make a logical guess on that one. One, you just ruined the whole country's diversity today, but more clearly you just destroyed music. Yes pretty much all of it. Most music we listen to today is direct evolution of the songs the slaves sung. All rock, rap, pop, jazz, everything is from that. That is just what you can predict happening god knows what else could happen.

Last edited:

nist7

Car(s)
2006 Acura TL
The problem with such a major event is you might instead cause MORE people to die if you mess with things. What if you don't prevent the war, and then more people figure out nuclear weapons? What if an entire country gets blasted? You don't know what would happen and you can make it way damn worse. This is why I say we should NEVER invent time machines, because idiots would back and make things worse. People need to stop thinking about going back to fix the past and worry about predicting present issues. People are dying now and it COULD be prevented.

Now what's interesting is what if Hitler was the cause of some guy going back and trying to save the world(from whatever evil he perceived) and ended up making it alot worse which is why we do not have any time machines right now?

:lol:

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
I would have to go back to 1960's, buy a Shelby GT500 and drive across Route 66 (my life long dream), see Elvis Presley live, Woodstock in '69 and some other really memorable shit. Forget about getting the winning numbers in lottery and some other foolishness. I mean yeah, sure....millions of dollars would be nice, but I put great life experiences light years ahead of earthly possessions and wealth.

I would have to see Frank Sinatra, then in the 1970's AC/DC when Bon Scott was still with us, Deep Purple and Led Zeppelin. I'd visit some Grand Prix races when you could still call it racing. Going further back I would for sure visit ancient Egypt to see how the hell were the pyramids actually built. In Rome I'd go see a gladiator fight at the Colosseum and in the middle ages I'd want to see some real knights.
FOR THE WIN!!!

Well it depends, if there were no Hitler and no WWII in 1939, i'd say by about 1945-47 a decent part of Europe would be taken over by USSR, i.e. Stalin was planning to recover all pre-soviet Russian Empire territories, so would you prefer German Nazis or their Russian alternative?
Agreed. But in addition there are many other things we wouldn't have now if it weren't for Hitler and the Nazis.
- medicine would still be at a very low stage - the medical experiments that the nazis conducted, whether they were humane or not, really helped advanced modern medicine, especially surgical medicine.
- most cars, planes and basically all electrical equipment in the 50s was actually borrowed from Germany. Everything was based on the ideas of the Nazis. (let's not forget the Auto Union F1 racers in the late 20s and 30s.
- we wouldn't have interstates
- USA would not be the world's top country. The main reason for the country's prosperity in the 50s was because all the rest of the world was physically devastated from the war. USA also made a big profit from giving out loans to Great Britain, France and even Germany(put conspiracy theory here).

So does anyone still think that preventing WW2 and killing Hitler is a good idea if time travel was possible?

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
Now what's interesting is what if Hitler was the cause of some guy going back and trying to save the world(from whatever evil he perceived) and ended up making it alot worse which is why we do not have any time machines right now?

:lol:

Possibly LOL. The more influential something is on the world, good or bad. The more of a disaster you could make. Lets say your family member lost their leg, you go back and change that. The experience of losing their leg might have changed their outlook on life and therefore their personality. That would effect them and everyone they have interaction with since the event. They might say something slightly different to someone and change their relationship. If it's a parent they might never fall in love and you might never exist because of it. Now every single person and event you had interaction with is changed because of lack of you. It's a big giant headache and a mess so NO TIME TRAVEL PLEASE GOD.

-Cpt. J.-

Car(s)
none
Never wish that, never ever!

AND. ...
WWI was a bad idea - end of story.

I know it isn't healthy. Alot of my thoughts right now are unhealthy.
Take it as a joke.

Personally I wouldn't try stop Hitler because the most horrible result is that communism might win in Europe. Besides, in order to stop Hitler and WW2 you would have to stop WW1... and we as a race might never have reached the moon.

Sad.

ViperVX

If time travel is possible, that most certainly would mean that we live in a 4-dimensional world, that gives us 16 parallel worlds (including our own), therefore time can be bent and speeds over lightspeed can be achieved, please don't dig any further than that.

P.S. Why are Americans are so afraid of communism i simply don't get...

Last edited:

katwalk

Forum Addict
Car(s)
FOR THE WIN!!!

Agreed. But in addition there are many other things we wouldn't have now if it weren't for Hitler and the Nazis.
- medicine would still be at a very low stage - the medical experiments that the nazis conducted, whether they were humane or not, really helped advanced modern medicine, especially surgical medicine.
- most cars, planes and basically all electrical equipment in the 50s was actually borrowed from Germany. Everything was based on the ideas of the Nazis. (let's not forget the Auto Union F1 racers in the late 20s and 30s.
- we wouldn't have interstates
- USA would not be the world's top country. The main reason for the country's prosperity in the 50s was because all the rest of the world was physically devastated from the war. USA also made a big profit from giving out loans to Great Britain, France and even Germany(put conspiracy theory here).

So does anyone still think that preventing WW2 and killing Hitler is a good idea if time travel was possible?
I'll add in that japan was a major part in the war, and what % of our fancy electronic gizmos came from them? If you even just made the bomb land a fraction of a different place you might hit someone who was a major part of electronics development and send us back decades on technology.

-Cpt. J.-

Car(s)
none
After reading the thread I must agree with jetsetter.
War is inevitable. It's war that makes EVERYONE pull together and that's when HUGE achievements are made in every field. Every field. As harsh and brutal as it sounds, I wouldn't stop Hitler either. I just wouldn't. In the long run it might cost more lives that what were lost during WW2 and the Holocaust. You're free to proove me wrong, please.

Oh and allso... I kinda like the technological and other achievements and advantages invented during WW2. Such as, believe it or not, ergonomy.

Aston Martin

Proudly supports terrible french cars
Car(s)
Cactus and Panda Classic
The point of my post was basically, what would happen if...? I didn't say I believed one way or the other.
I wouldn't want to go back just to make myself rich, I would go to conspiracy theory events, or see if Woodstock was really that good?

OT: I would go back to 1998 and stop Seagal from ruining his career with films about Indian magic, pixie-dust and talking to wolves.

ViperVX

After reading the thread I must agree with jetsetter.
War is inevitable. It's war that makes EVERYONE pull together and that's when HUGE achievements are made in every field. Every field. As harsh and brutal as it sounds, I wouldn't stop Hitler either. I just wouldn't. In the long run it might cost more lives that what were lost during WW2 and the Holocaust. You're free to proove me wrong, please.

Oh and allso... I kinda like the technological and other achievements and advantages invented during WW2. Such as, believe it or not, ergonomy.

The question here is, would you want (to help) Germany win the war? They were way ahead technology-wise, some even say up to 30 years ahead in certain areas. My guess would be, given certain changes in their tactics and RnD, they could've had the nuke by mid 1944, jet fighters in decent numbers by late 1942, England would've fallen by about 1943, USSR by early 1945, Germany would make peace with US and control half the world.

Last edited:

-Cpt. J.-

Car(s)
none
The question here is, would you want (to help) Germany win the war? They were way ahead technology-wise, some even say up to 30 years ahead in certain areas. My guess would be, given certain changes in their tactics and RnD, they could've had the nuke by mid 1944, jet fighters in decent numbers by late 1942, England would've fallen by about 1943, USSR by early 1945, Germany would make peace with US and control half the world.

Control half the world with an iron fist and continue to build their idea of a perfect Arjan race.
*not sure of the spelling

No. I would not stop or help Germany.
I value the lives lost on the beaches of Normandy too much to do that.

Last edited:

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
P.S. Why are Americans are so afraid of communism i simply don't get...

Because of the media. Over the years they have made it sound like something terrible.

Having seen and experienced communism, only as a child, and for a very short period...it's not as bad as everybody thinks. There wasn't a huge variety of products, entertainment was very limited and so was freedom of speech, and nobody was wealthy.
But on the other hand nobody was poor. Nobody was starving. Unemployment level was really low, and so was crime rate.

I guess something's gotta give.

LeVeL

Forum Addict
wow, I actually got a neg-rep asking me to stay in the discussion.

You just don't get it do you ? No one here is saying either of those things. The point is that nobody can ever know what would and could have happened if Hitler, Stalin, G.W. or any historical figure for that matter, would not have been around.
I have serious doubts that if by some miracle (eg time travel) Hitler and the nazi movement were stopped, something worse than WWI and WWII would happen. In fact, I'm just struggling to think of anything worse than the death of 55-97 million people. And besides, why do many of you assume that something worse would happen? Why don't you think ze germans would just plant flowers all over the place, never produce the beetle, and just start making 911s for ze people? We are talking about the single worse event (ok, two events) in history here...

SpitfireMK461

Car(s)
2013 Mini Cooper S
If I had a time machine?

I would go back in time to stop the inventor of the time machine from ever inventing it, ceasing its ability to exist so that there are no worries about creating a paradox or destroying the world.

Wait... :?

_HighVoltage_

Captain Volvo
Car(s)
1998 Volvo S70 T5M
And besides, why do many of you assume that something worse would happen?

Because we're human. Name a period in time when there wasn't a war somewhere in the world? It is in our nature to argue, blame and kill each other.

Topgearfanatic

is a Queen
Car(s)
2002 Audi A4 1.8t
I've just thought of something else, I'd go back to the beginning of the forming of the Earth and take pictures of the formation of the planet, to rub it in the face of those naive young Earth creationists.

I would go to a time when North America was mostly uninhabited to sit at a beach and enjoy the tranquility.

I would go and meet Albert Einstein and shake his hand.

Go back 250 million years ago and take an aerial picture of Pangaea.