If you want proper reliability, go for a Mazda or a Honda and forget the rest.

Danny Tran

or <br /><div class="bigusername">Tranny Dan?</div
Table to illustrate the reliability ratings of 450,000 vehicles by manufacturer.

Position Manufacturer Incidence rate (%)

1 Mazda 8.04%
2 Honda 8.90%
3 Toyota 15.78%
4 Mitsubishi 17.04%
5 Kia 17.39%
6 Subaru 18.46%
7 Nissan 18.86%
8 Lexus 20.05%
9 Mini 21.90%
10 Citroen 25.98%
11 Daewoo 26.30%
12 Hyundai 26.30%
13 Peugeot 26.59%
14 Ford 26.76%
15 Suzuki 27.20%
16 Porsche 27.48%
17 Fiat 28.49%
18 BMW 28.64%
19 Vauxhall 28.77%
20 Mercedes 29.90%
21 Rover 30.12%
22 Volvo 31.28%
23 Volkswagen 31.44%
24 Jaguar 32.05%
25 Skoda 32.12%
26 Chrysler 34.90%
27 Audi 36.74%
28 Seat 36.87%
29 Renault 36.87%
30 Alfa Romeo 39.13%
31 Saab 41.59%
32 Land Rover 44.21%
33 Jeep 46.36%

Source: Warranty Direct
http://www.topgear.com/blogs/planettopgear/024-cant-get-no-satisfaction/

*Edited*
Thanks for the help, No Boss.

Last edited:
Yeah, so? Reliability is one of the things that bothers me less than anything else. But you have a point.

9. Mini ?!?!

Really!....REALLY?!.....RLY!?

I have always heard Mini's had terrible reliability. I wanted to purchase one for quiet sometime and the fact that the closest dearler is 2 hours away, and it's poor reliablity was enough to make me think twice.

Im surprised GM isn't higher one the list.... let along it's barely even on the list.

Oh and Danny you might want to fix this bit.

10 Citroen 25.98% <----
11 Daewoo 26.30%
12 Hyundai 26.30%
13 Peugeot 26.59%
14 Ford 26.76%
10 Citroen 25.98% <---
11 Daewoo 26.30%
12 Hyundai 26.30%
13 Peugeot 26.59%
14 Ford 26.76%

Im surprised GM isn't higher one the list.... let along it's barely even on the list.

It is from TopGear and they do have different models over there in Britain.

If Mazda is no. 1, i can see how the RX-8 is a huge thorn- apparently theyve stopped compiling the RX-8 buyers' tally from their internal custommer satisfaction surveys.

Those lists are 100% bullshit. Nuff said.

Everytime I see one the results are completely different.

9. Mini ?!?!

Really!....REALLY?!.....RLY!?

I have always heard Mini's had terrible reliability. I wanted to purchase one for quiet sometime and the fact that the closest dearler is 2 hours away, and it's poor reliablity was enough to make me think twice.

Oh and Danny you might want to fix this bit.

Bah MINIs are great. Mine was nearly perfect with only one minor warranty repair. What screwed up the MINI stats was that JD powers stupid survey includes questions about percived design flaws. Stupid fat americans, I can say that I am american so shut up, complained about the poor cup holders and harsh ride in the MINI which were counted into the stats and drove down the overall number.

Lets see how good is a survey that counts and engine failure the same as a poorly placed/sized cup holder... :blink: :hammer: :idiot:

I'm with swek on this one, I mean if you go and look at the comments this comes up

"The Warranty Direct figures only compare cars from three to nine years old" that would explain Rover and Daewoo being in it.

17 Fiat 28.49%
18 BMW 28.64%
19 Vauxhall 28.77%
20 Mercedes 29.90%
21 Rover 30.12%
22 Volvo 31.28%
23 Volkswagen 31.44%
24 Jaguar 32.05%
25 Skoda 32.12%
26 Chrysler 34.90%
27 Audi 36.74% .
Now that is a surprise to me - FIAT beating BMW, MB, Volvo, VW and Audi

Bah MINIs are great. Mine was nearly perfect with only one minor warranty repair. What screwed up the MINI stats was that JD powers stupid survey includes questions about percived design flaws. Stupid fat americans, I can say that I am american so shut up, complained about the poor cup holders and harsh ride in the MINI which were counted into the stats and drove down the overall number.

Lets see how good is a survey that counts and engine failure the same as a poorly placed/sized cup holder... :blink: :hammer: :idiot:

Did not know that JD Power included such things. Very interesting fodder for people who hate those damn survey charts (me).

On a side note, I'm not a fat American (160lbs, 5'11). As a matter of fact, I think I'm a European born into American skin.... nonetheless... that means I could fit into the Mini driver seat and be an owner. How do/did you like yours?

If Mazda is no. 1, i can see how the RX-8 is a huge thorn- apparently theyve stopped compiling the RX-8 buyers' tally from their internal custommer satisfaction surveys.

There's nothing wrong with the RX-8. The only recall for them was to replace the spark plugs and update the fuel management software. Hardly a major problem especially since most people didn't even know the problem existed until they were told about it and probably could have driven the car for years with no worries.

Can you get a source on excluding RX-8 owner satisfaction? Because I smell bullshit.

No Boss
The Mini is a massively roomy and comfortable car up front. If it were not so damn cute (gay) I would have one. I'm 6'4 and I was very comfortable sitting in the Mini when I was looking for a car. Of course the local dealership was so stuck up they would not let me drive it, I had to buy it just to see how it drove. Eh, it was going to be too much anyway.

Last edited:
Those lists are 100% bullshit. Nuff said.

Everytime I see one the results are completely different.

I agree completely, what's more if I spend AUD$15,000 on a honda jazz or spent AUD$220,000 on a m5 which am I going to be more likely to complain about niggling little things on.

Land Rover beats Jeep yet again! :mrgreen:

I can fully understand the low rating. Just look over there <----- :(

Did not know that JD Power included such things. Very interesting fodder for people who hate those damn survey charts (me).

On a side note, I'm not a fat American (160lbs, 5'11). As a matter of fact, I think I'm a European born into American skin.... nonetheless... that means I could fit into the Mini driver seat and be an owner. How do/did you like yours?

http://autos.aol.com/article/genera...s-initial-quality-survey/20060608120309990001

The study, in its 20th year, was revised to isolate consumers' concerns about design flaws, as distinct from defects and malfunctions. The change in methodology makes year-to-year comparisons impossible.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/02/03/truedelta-questions-quality-of-jd-power-methodology/

TrueDelta also questions JD?s definitions of problems (e.g., the infamous cup holders and German cars debate, Hummer's miles per gallon); rating system; the use of average; and "What is Best" emphasis. The latter, especially, is eye-opening on buyer behavior.

I loved my MINI. Mine was a 2004 MINI Cooper S Chili Red with black roof and mirrors, black leatherete interior, anthracite trim, Premium package, Cold weather package and everything in the sport package but the 17 inch wheels.

The 17 inch wheel and tire combo weighs 52 lbs per wheel/tire. That is crazy for a 2,600 lbs vehicle. :rolleyes:

My only aftermarket mod was a mini-maddness adjustable rear sway bar that I had set to track mode. I only sold it so I could by my house and then I sold it to a family member so I could buy it back later. Call it more of a short term lease. I just have to help them find a car at true wholesale price, working for a dealership has its advantages, when I want to buy the MINI back.

I had no problem fitting in my MINI and I am 5 foot 11 and about 215 lbs currently but I need to get down to my fightin weight of 195 lbs.

Last edited:
Audi is only so low because they had to recall a lot of cars for a simple problem.

Can you get a source on excluding RX-8 owner satisfaction? Because I smell bullshit.

http://www.autoblog.com/2006/08/04/mazda-responds-to-rx-8-community-s-anger-over-leaked-video/

Recently a privileged video released without Mazda's permission was leaked onto the internet. In the video, a member of the Mazda National Dealer Advisory Council states, "Mazda is well aware of the negative impact on the scores caused by the RX-8 surveys. They agreed with us that the situation had to be changed. And so, effective July 1st, RX-8 will be continued to be included in the survey, but the scores will no longer be included in the results."

http://www.rx8club.com/showthread.php?t=95755