If You Were The Owner Of Your Own Race Series

Loz

I'm not sure if this thread has been done before, I did search and didn't find anything. Honest

Here's an idea. What would you do if you had your own race series.

Here's what I would do:

1: Start up an open wheel series.
2: Give teams a strict budget to build a car. Drivers and personel don't fall into this budget.
3: Within the budget, cars can be whatever the engineers can dream up (6 wheels, 4WD ect). But have some regulations so the cars to get too deadly.
4: Allow the teams to use any kind of engine, but have a limit on power, something like 800hp. This way, teams can use any engine type to get to that limit. There could be a nice variety of engines from V12 NA engines to 4 Cylinder Turbo's and anything inbetween.

Lets see what all of you guys can come up with :)

I would start a multi-class championship; but not just a standard sports car series. It'd be open for all type of motorsport: open wheelers, sports cars, motorcycles, stock cars, trucks, rally cars, etc. It would also be available for Average Joe to go racing as well (granted they'd only race in the slowest classes, but still very cheap to enter).

Think of it like a big mix of Le Mans, Formula 1, MotoGP, rallying, touring cars, stock cars, and LeMons all rolled into one! :p

I would call it stock car racing... Every car in the series would have to be stock as purchased from the factory except for tires which would be spec. Homologation requirements would be 10,000 units. Other than that no limits or regulations.

I would get 30 spec openwheelers built, something like a toyota yaris engine in it, then go around to racetracks and start a driver search. Impressive drivers get invited to national series, with a mid-level open-wheeler drive on offer as a prize.

Wait, did didn't have to be financialy viable did it? :p

I'm thinking along the lines of a modern day formula libre... Basically the techical rules would be 'Your vehicle must fit within a box which is this wide, this long and this high, it has to meet these safety regulations and pass these crash tests and finally it can only use this much energy per second'. The general idea would be to have as little limitations as possible so the rule set would allow anything on the realistic side of a nuclear reactor to be used as a power unit and the engineers could build the cars to fit the spec as freely as they like.

It might not provide the best racing you have ever seen but it would be really interesting as far as technology goes and, heaven forbid, we might actually see some innovation...

My series would give the engineers the biggest headache of all. No matter whether it's f1, touring cars or wrc, the cars must be capable of almost identical times when driven sideways.

I would make the Grand Am Continental Tire Sports Car Challenge.

Since that already exists (an would surely pummel my series in to the dirt), I guess I would just do an unlimited series. Safety standards for crash equipment, but otherwise unlimited.

I'd make an endurance series with the intent to push the absolute boundaries of engineering.

Rules would mandate a minimum amount of fuel a car can carry, or require a car go a certain number of laps before refueling, set size limits to keep cars within the range of road cars, and set the endpoint of the race (such as 1000km). Otherwise, teams would be free to build whatever car they desire.

This of course would lead to incredibly expensive seasons and possibly irresponsibly dangerous cars, but in an ideal situation it seems epic.

Ideally, my series would have only safety rules and crash tests, but would be limitless otherwise. It alreadly exsists in drag racing form, in the ADRL.

Or I would do a series based off the rallies in GT5. Safety rules, spec tyres, and a fairly low horspower limit (maybe 350hp measured at the drive wheels before and after every stage) otherwise no rules. It would be great to see how the team would develop their cars, find grip, and how long the teams could run their cars at full throttle per stage. Sort-of like F1 meets Group B.

I'd choose epic racetracks for it. Nordschleife obviuosly, Spa, Bathurst, Road America, San Luis and the like...

apart from the above
I'd get myself some leaves :cool:

After buying out the Frances and owning all series of NASCAR, I'd then force Chevrolet to switch to the Camaro over the Impala, Toyota to use something other than the Camry (maybe the Lexus IS200? I don't know) and Ford to push the Mustang into the Cup series instead of the Fusion.

The All-star race is open to winners from all 3 classes (Truck, Nationwide and Cup) the previous 12 months but they have to be in what vehicle got them the win (easy for guys like Bodine and Johnson...Kyle can pick which one but he's stuck with it the whole weekend, lol). The vehicles will be modified (a plate might have to do that) to run close enough to the same laptimes so no one can cry foul over inferior equipment. Bud Shootout will be the same thing but only for pole sitters.

Loudon and Pocono both lose a race with Road America and Montreal being 'in' instead which gives us a road course to start the Chase. Speaking of that, those drivers in it shall have a seperate points system from the remaining 31 (the old CART one works nicely given it went down to 12th place). Also, on the road courses, any driver who doesn't want to race in the rain can be replaced...I'm sure we can find drivers from other series willing to lend a hand.

To avoid the 'yellow line' crap at the plate tracks, all cars will be fitted with a tracker on the left side (as it's flush with the tyres) while the yellow lines will have sensors in them that will go off whenever a car strays over them. This should make it nice and easy to figure out who gets DQ'd or not.

Oh, and the #1 is reserved for the reigning Champ...tough bikkies, EGR ;)

Last edited:
keeping with the above NASCAR idea:

I would first change the cars completely back to real stock cars. Ford Mustang, Chevy Camero, Dodge Challenger and maybe eliminate any other manufacturers that cant provide a car with a rear drive V8. the car used in the series must be built and sold with a minimum of 500 to the public. I would then reduce the amount of "ovals" and raise the amount of Road Courses. on road courses i would get rid of unneeded full course cautions when someone slides into the dirt. i would try and introduce the F1 style of qualifying and regulate the amount of tires used per weekend. limit the amount of cars per team to help reduce the superstar teams with 4 cars. i would make you qualify to enter the race, if you dont qual you dont race, no automatic placement because of something you did in the past. this would open the door for smaller teams to have a chance to make races. the way they are doing it now is a joke. there are 100 more changes i would make but i think you get the idea.

OH! rain tires on road courses (deal with it, build a car more capable) and stop calling an oval a 4 turn track. that front "strait" isnt strait. it has a pretty significant curve...

Last edited:
I would take a shiny design for the car,and make it outstanding among other cars

My series would be as follows:

- Here's a cheap car.
- Here's how much you can spend.
- Go nuts

Then have them racing around UK circuits in the same way as the BTCC.

Obivously there would need to be rules on the modifications, for example the car must resemble the factory model from the outside, no engine or drivetrain swaps, etc. but I would encourage reducing weight - after all it's free to remove stuff so everyone can strip the interior, if you don't do it then that's your loss. I'd also let the teams choose their own wheel and tyre combinations, with the only restriction being the tyres must be road legal.

Who wouldn't want to see a duel between a carbon fibre panelled car running the standard engine but with an aero kit and a supercharged model with no aero and standard metal panels?

Oh bugger it, make it rallycross too. :lol:

I have a new idea:

Do whatever you want, but your tyres must be these:
http://www.stuckey.com.au/images/tyres/Classic/dunlop_D2105.jpg

I like your thinking.

I would call it stock car racing... Every car in the series would have to be stock as purchased from the factory except for tires which would be spec. Homologation requirements would be 10,000 units. Other than that no limits or regulations.

You are genious. Mine would be completely wild and also allow different brake pads tough.

Or LeMons Euro series, hmmm.