IHRA and NHRA Drag Race Sanctioning Bodies Announce EV Programs

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
Probably of not much interest to most of you lot, but here goes.

NHRA announced yesterday an EV program for 2022, that's rather ambiguous, but I think they were in a bit of a rush to get their program out ahead of IHRA. Which also is a bit ambiguous, but does start this year, works with existing programs and will crown an EV champion at their World Finals in Memphis in October.

IHRA's program will be based on bracket racing at your local track, the champion from each track will be able to go to the IHRA World Finals and compete in one of two classes (based on ETs). If 32 EVs arrive at the World Finals, they will have a separate class for them.

I have a feeling NHRA's program will probably be more of a heads-up program and run at their regional and national events, but that's pure speculation on my part.

Personally I applaud both sanctioning bodies for putting an olive branch out there for EVs. Even if it's a little late to the program, it's a step in the right direction.

Now for the anecdotes:

Changing some racers minds about EVs will be impossible. At a race I helped officiate in Iowa, two years ago, an electric junior dragster was there, wining rounds. The buzz in the pits was that the COMPUTER in the car allowed it to run the exact same number, every run. Of course that's not true, but that's racers. They also believe George Soros stole the election and Covid vaccines improve your 5G reception.

I thought half the fun was hearing the engines?

Too late, it's been done.
1619726335147.png

1619726350304.png

Of course there's a can of budweiser. :D