I'm going to die...

killpanda

wants to fondle your manboobs

And this is only in the university where I do my internship, it's even worse where I live!
Now I understand why my task is to try to improve their network :-D

They told me they think the network hasn't been planned properly, I can trust that :-D

This result was obtained using WiFi but the wired result isn't really much better :-D

There seem to be too much people on a small network and internet access.

The landscape is beautiful though <3

Normally uni's have nice and fast internet, clearly not in this case :p

I don't have a budget, for now they just want me to isolate the problem and tell them which solutions would work to improve the speed and security.

Getting fast Internet is a big challenge here in Peru :-(

Normally uni's have nice and fast internet, clearly not in this case :p

The worst I saw was when I was teaching in China a few months ago, during the night I could do 4MB/s but during the day there was no connexion at all, everyone was downloading everything available on Internet leaving absolutely no bandwidth at all... Here at least it's usable :-D

Last edited:
Or there was a 20 Mbit connection really and it was being throttled by the Govt. doing scans and filters, and blocking anything to do with "subversives". ....

They don't really throttle the connection, it's just that all connection going outside of China goes through a big proxy which then blocks everything they don't want you to see (you can easily go over it though, just prepare a VPN server in your country and make all your data go through it ;-)).

So after further investigations, they have a 3mbps connection for hundreds of students :-D

Our download speed is smaller than your upload speed! :-o

So after further investigations, they have a 3mbps connection for hundreds of students :-D

Our download speed is smaller than your upload speed! :-o

That's bordering on hilarious. We just about make do here with 20Mb between 3.

You see the scale of the problem :-D

I think they are able to get a more decent connection, but I don't know how decent it can be :-/

And their WiFi is completely saturated...

Time for a proxy server.

Yep, it isn't a magic bullet but should help ease things. You might also want to consider blocking P2P stuff and video sites (yea it is horrible but if all you have is 3mbps for hundreds of students it is better than having no Internet at all).

put a proxy that only allowes ftp and http thought the proxy.

that is in my school, video sites are allowed, but no p2p.
And i with wifi its only 30Mbit (or 7Mbit as it is nearly everwhere i study).

its nice to have some 700Mbit file uploading in 3 secs from a wired network.

Last edited: