I'm going to SF to pick up the F430 right now!

Man, Watto, for once he does something right and you still diss him!
All that gearbox talk without 99.99% of the people in here having actually driven the car makes me sick as well... Totally useless...

Then we might as well shut the whole damn forum down. Jeez.

Since when expressing opinions on a car discussion forum is wrong? Slightly offtopic, maybe, so what?

It's not like there's a flamewar going on. Well, now there is, thanks to you anti-offtipic whiners.

P.S. Just for a record, I'm all for manual :) Spending this much money on a very track-biased car (compared to "normal" cars of course) and not doing this last step which brings so much extra pleasure (who cares about lap times) seems a bit of a waste for my opinion... And no, I'm not saying you did wrong by taking the flappy paddles, to each it's own.

and that's the problem with this forum, so many "experts"

Man, Watto, for once he does something right and you still diss him!
All that gearbox talk without 99.99% of the people in here having actually driven the car makes me sick as well... Totally useless...

So we're not allowed to have opinions on these things? Well I guess in future I'll just have to comment only on topics about 1987 MR2s & 1985 Falcons...

For the record - of course I haven't driven a Ferrari, with or without the F1 'box, but that doesn't mean I don't know which I'd prefer.

lol, i'm not refering to you fbc. I'm refering to some of our members that seem to think that they know it all

Since when expressing opinions on a car discussion forum is wrong?

when its annoying and redundant as hell

we've all heard your damn opinions, say something new or shutup

everybody is affraid of new things, I for example drive a car that has no sound insulation, no ABS, no powersteer, manual, the only electronically aided thing i suppose is the Fuel Mixture (aka ECU), but after actually being around cars with traction control systems that "drive for you" i can tell you that all of the cars that are actually fast don't really "drive for you" as much as you think. Yes when most of the electronic aids came out they were more the less cruches that helped driver booboos, now though that they have refined them their more like weapons that still have their own learning curve, and don't so much take away from the driving experience as they just alter it. And thus its the same with this gearbox issue thats going on. Now i heal-toe multiple times every time i drive, and its second nature to me, so it doesn't really bother me if i drive a manual or a Automatic as much as how the power goes to the ground, e.i the feel of the drivetrain itself.

I do fear the amount of cars that have lame exhaust noises and lifeless steering, but (and keep in mind this is coming from myself, a huge trackday enthusiast) changes in gearboxes really don't bother me much, because you still get all the drama from the engine, from the chassi, from everything, the only difference is my left foot doesn't move

i suppose i would go for a manual, but i feel unlike you guys in that i could care less if i F430 is a F1 gearbox or manual, there are far more important things when it comes to driving a car like that

Last edited:
when its annoyi.... >words<

It has nothing to do with new technology. Look around, most of us weren't even alive for the days when cars didn't come standard with power steering, ABS, and traction control.

I remember the first time I drove a car with a triptronic transmission. I was really excited about it. But within 5 miles of driving it, it got irritating. Sure you get to push a button and it'll change gear for you. But it was so lifeless. It was like playing GT4, for all the feeling it had. I ended up really hating it. Same thing when I got to drive an SMG. It still felt detached. I would rather drive a regular automatic. That's why I like the McLaren SLR so much. It's built by a company that builds/races F1 cars, but they stuck an automatic in their road car. And they admit it. No bullshit about the stupid paddle shifter mode or some lame ass abbreviation for the slushbox to impress people with more money then passion.

Look, I already said what a great transmission the F1 is. It's fantastic. In a race car, you cannot beat it. But in a road-going Ferrari... why be lazy? That's my only point. Too me it would be like buying a supercar and never driving it. You know, only on weekends, and never above 45mph. It just seems like a waste. The F1 gearbox is good, but it does take away from the experience. Sure it's faster and more advanced. But that's not what a Ferrari is really about, is it? Otherwise, why not get a big AWD Lambo with the paddles? Come on, AWD, that's like way more advanced then RWD.

Last edited:
Awesome car and great colour choice. The colour of the one in Top Gear 9x04 looks great as well :)

Why are you all arguing about the gearbox and everything? It's really quite a perfect car.

Am I the only one who read the title and thought of a big Ford pickup?

Alright ! we get it and FFS Jacobfox has already given a reason on why he picked the F1 gearbox over a regular manual gearbox and it's not your car so stop whining and STFU !

Having said that, its probably a good idea to get the automatic gearbox anyway, when your dad is done with the F430, more buys will be interested at buying an auto F430 rather than a manual one. But hey! To each's own, at the end of the day, its his ferrari not mine. Kudos for the car though... great choice of colour, ive seen enough red ferraris, good to see your dad choosing a non main-stream colour.

I did say its not my car, and its completely irrelevant of what we say on this forum, because at the end of the day, its his ferrari.. not mine, not anyone's. There was no arguement about his car in the first place, its about personal perference on the F1 gearbox v.s Manual. Thats all

shows that you obviously cant read.

Come on, MadCow already called his dad a wanker...

oh did i now.. or did you take it the comment the wrong way, cos i didnt imply that in at all. I even said its probabaly the best for his dad to buy the auto. The wanker comment was suppose to attack those ppl who thinks F1 gearbox is better than the manual simply because they rekon the gearbox will do everything for them perfectly. Meanwhile none of us can push a F430 to its limit on a public road anyway, so the help of a F1 gearbox is absolutely meaningless.

Lets not forget i have an autobox as well. Its allright to have an auto, just dont brag about your fucking gearbox like a noob. That was the point i was trying to make. If you are able to use 100% of your car's poential, then kudos for you. Go for the F1 box, as i am sure it will perform better than the manual, but if you cant.. then shut the fuck up about how F1 box is better than the manual, cos its meaningless if you cant use it 0.01 sec advantage, is it?

I wonder how many ppl in this thread has ever driven a ferrari with a f1 box.... lets count hands pls...:rolleyes:

pfffft.. what do i know, im just a BMW slut, you might as well as close the forum because only a few members here have owned, or driven a ferrari. BTW, this is no flame war for sure..... its just a debate. And this is what makes a forum busy, if you dont appreciate my 2cents comment on "why manual is more exciting and more interactive" then i will take it else where.

She did, but that was a racing car, which wasnt street legal. ;)

Ah... didnt know that... thanks for clearing that up. Ive always thought it was road legal like the F360 CS.

Last edited:
pfffft.. what do i know, im just a BMW slut, you might as well as close the forum because only a few members here have owned, or driven a ferrari. BTW, this is no flame war for sure..... its just a debate. And this is what makes a forum busy, if you dont appreciate my 2cents comment on "why manual is more exciting and more interactive" then i will take it else where.
I appreciate your comments just as much as the next guy, I think everyone agrees that it is more "exciting" to drive a manual. The problem is that after 5 pages it gets a bit boring to listen to people going on and on about things they have no personal experience with.

Of course, the forum would be dead if ppl didn't discuss things, but after a while its time to draw the line and move on...:rolleyes:

I did the same :lol: But then quickly realised my error :D

wow very nice choice of colour.... is that the same as what they paint this years F1 car?

they changed to this really deep rich red that looks not too disimilar to what your dad picked out. its a beautiful colour and i imagine it looks about 1 million times better in real life because cameras dont seem to be able to convey the sense of depth this colour produces.... when you watch the f1 you get brief glimpses of it, but otherwise it looks flat like the original ferrari red.

what rules did they put on you? no 5000rpm+ for 1000mile or something similar? or can you blat it out to the limiter right out of the show room?

just a fantastic car, your dad made a great choice..... enjoy!

i would ask for a ride like everyone else, but that means coming to england where its wet and 54 degrees.

I did say its not my car, and its completely irrelevant of what we say on this forum, because at the end of the day, its his ferrari.. not mine, not anyone's. There was no arguement about his car in the first place, its about personal perference on the F1 gearbox v.s Manual. Thats all

shows that you obviously cant read.

What I meant was, you've made your point, now shut up.

Nice car!!

Whether its a manual or F1 gearbox it doesn't matter. It's whatever you want. I'd choose the F1 because its faster. I could care less if I don't get the "feel." I'l get the feel when I turn the wheel and hit the gas or brake. I'd rather have it quicker.

When I was young, I used to think Ford made the Ferrari F50, I could never remember the 1.