I'm going to SF to pick up the F430 right now!

Yeah, I guess I am considered a redneck yank :p

Wondered why he got a petrol version rather than diesel.

In This Thread: Nuthugging of all kinds.

Nice car, I love the color. I would have chosen the manual as well, but I guess thats a matter of taste. Just think of it this way, when choosing it you are part of the special 10%.

Jesus...My intarwebs go down for two days and I come back and a huge-ass flame war has started and a self-proclaimed "BMW slut" has called my dad a cock.
SRSLY WTF has happened to this thread?

Here's the thing...just because it's a sequential manual doesn't make the driver a cock. I can guarantee one thing, my dad won't be flying around corners shouting, "DOOD, THIS GEARBOX MAKES ME DRIVE AND LOOK LIKE MICHAEL SCHUMACHER!" It will never happen, ever.

As a member of the small minority of people who have ridden in one of these cars, or driven one (or even driven other SMG, DSG cars like our A3), or have talked with an owner at length about this subject (my dad of course, but also a friend of his who's owned a 355 F1, 2 360 F1s, a Maserati Coupe Cambiocorsa, a 430 F1 and a 599GTB and other owners of similar motors) I can honestly say that the general consensus is that the driver doesn't feel any loss of involvement because he's not rowing gears. My dad has called the 430 more involving than the 550 was because of the handling and torque band of the car, even though the 550 was much more mechanical and was a manual. I know everyone wants to debate whether or not my dad is a loser for buying a car with an F1 gearbox, but it was his decision and he chose what he wanted for a myriad of different reasons, most of which I have enumerated in previous posts. Calling him a loser is a complete cop out anyways as he worked hard for the cash that he used to buy the car. To the haters, I say this: once you have worked hard enough for long enough to accrue three kids' college tuition, buy a house, run a successful business and buy a ferrari; be my guest and talk shit about your choice compared to his. Otherwise, it just makes you look stupid to run your mouth off about the fruits of other people's labors.

I agree, but seriously it wasn't really a flame war as all that happened was Mr. BMW slut complaining while everyone else ignored him until I decided to shut him up.

Now, now...don't let your ego get the best of you...like I probably did.

^ Not at all - it's a good post. Your Dad's worked damn hard to be in a position to have a car like this.

As for LeMans GTR - yeah, tone down the ego a bit young fella :)

I don't think anyone has posted this yet. Clarkson at his best.

This suits the thread perfectly. :whistle:

Perhaps this has something to do with the company?s current, and misguided, obsession with putting as much Formula One trinketry into the road cars as is humanly possible. Square steering wheels with gearchange advisory lights. Flappy paddle gearboxes. Five-way traction control. Look under the bonnet of a 599 and you?ll find the plastic sheet fitted to shroud the radiators has been sculptured to resemble the nose of an F1 car. That?s not clever. It?s naff. Drive past a cock-o-meter in a car like this and it will explode.

I like the 430 and I would buy it with a F1 gearbox, but I do understand the critics. Some people are just old and grumpy :D

Shes a beauty !!

And I applaud the choice of the f1 transmission. I used to be like some of the guys here " uh ah, its an auto.. what a waste " . Ridiculous.
It beats the manual in all areas. I owned a car with a sequential gearbox for 2 and a half years (still would if i had not been given a new car) and loved every minute of it. Its not comparable to a classic automatic and its way better than a manual. You can put it in auto and cruise around comfortably in everyday traffic and then when you find yourself on an open road just press manual and ... heavens ! You get pretty much as much feedback as you would with a manual plus you get all the comforts of not having to shift.

I agree, but seriously it wasn't really a flame war as all that happened was Mr. BMW slut complaining while everyone else ignored him until I decided to shut him up.

i never complained shit, because its not my car, how many times do i have to tell you that in order for the fact to sink it in the thick skull of yours.

but yeah, you are right, i will shut up now, because i dont need to waste my time talking to some doos

Shes a beauty !!

And I applaud the choice of the f1 transmission. I used to be like some of the guys here " uh ah, its an auto.. what a waste " . Ridiculous.
It beats the manual in all areas. I owned a car with a sequential gearbox for 2 and a half years (still would if i had not been given a new car) and loved every minute of it. Its not comparable to a classic automatic and its way better than a manual. You can put it in auto and cruise around comfortably in everyday traffic and then when you find yourself on an open road just press manual and ... heavens ! You get pretty much as much feedback as you would with a manual plus you get all the comforts of not having to shift.

I don't want to clutter Jacobfox's thread any more then necessary, but I'm curious.

Have you ever owned a car with a manual transmission? Because you don't sound like it.

So much fucking negativity in this thread, enough already. Not only did Jacobfox's dad already buy the car, but even if he hadn't I'm sure he wouldn't give a rat's ass what tranny we thought he should get. Enough already...

Or I could just unsubscribe, but I'm hoping for better pics soon. :D

So much fucking negativity in this thread, enough already. Not only did Jacobfox's dad already buy the car, but even if he hadn't I'm sure he wouldn't give a rat's ass what tranny we thought he should get. Enough already...

Or I could just unsubscribe, but I'm hoping for better pics soon. :D

you still dont understand.. we are not telling his dad to do anything, we are just discussing whether you should get a manual for your F430 or not. And TomCat and I merely illustrated the advantage of having a manual. Thats all there is to it, nothing more, nothing less. We are not telling his dad to buy shit.

looks like you tend to interperate things the wrong way. but thats okay, cos im sure its quite hard for the size of your brain.

I sure a lot of people have opinions, but I personally love this car sure you can get other colours and such but it really does not matter this is a Ferrari thats the point. And in my mind I think though the gearbox is not a "real" gearbox, its better for real road driving then a slower manual.

A very nice car, congrats to your family for owning such a lovely piece of art.

I'm not a mod but I'm pretty sure that kind of flaming will not be tolerated too much around here.

It's you that doesn't get the point. This is about his dad's F430... I don't see why this discussion needs to take place here. Especially when it's not even a worthy discussion, because you keep resorting to insulting people.

P.S. Also, please tell me when else I have 'misinterpreted' things?

looks like you tend to interperate things the wrong way. but thats okay, cos im sure its quite hard for the size of your brain.

...how many times do i have to tell you that in order for the fact to sink it in the thick skull of yours.

but yeah, you are right, i will shut up now, because i dont need to waste my time talking to some doos

Although I'm sure you intended well:

this is no flame war for sure..... its just a debate.

I will agree with Madcow about one thing. This discussion wasn't about Jacobfox's dads car. It's just about comparing Ferrari transmissions. I said from the beginning that his dad's car is just about the most perfect Ferrari you can order IMO, the only thing I would change being the transmission. People are welcome to buy whatever they want. No one is screaming "flame war" over the posts talking about color combos, because we all know that that doesn't matter and all it comes down to is personal preference. We all have our reasons, why is it frowned upon to voice them?

I just find the manual transmission issue a touchy subject. When people make comments about the trans that has less driver involvement giving "just as much feedback", I feel the need to question that logic. It has nothing to do with the F1 gearbox being "bad" or "inferior". In fact, I don't think I went a single post in this thread without praising it.

But this is a debate, you are just dramatizing it to flame war what it's not.

I can honestly say that the general consensus is that the driver doesn't feel any loss of involvement because he's not rowing gears. My dad has called the 430 more involving than the 550 was because of the handling and torque band of the car, even though the 550 was much more mechanical and was a manual.

Well sure, but the 550 is more of a highway cruiser than trackmissile like F430.

That is a valid point, but regardless of whether or not it's a GT car, it's still a Ferrari. The 550 was brilliant on track because of its fantastic balance, not because of the gearbox or anything.

And as for the nature of this thread, it has become something of a flame war, with MadCow repeatedly insulting other members' intelligence. The fact that anyone is dissing anyone else via this forum doesn't speak too highly towards that member's intelligence. As for pics, my parents are out of town tomorrow, so I have a DSLR and the car. I'll probably have some pics tomorrow. And no, I won't drive the car. I know I would be crucified if I did and I'm not quite confident enough in my skill to risk it.