I'm going to the US, what to do in San Jose...?

marcos_eirik

Car(s)
Mostly my feet, occasionally a Tesla
I'm going to the US next week. I'm arriving late Sunday evening (17th), and will be staying in San Jose until Thursday (21st), before heading to Denver later that day, and on to Beaver Creek for some downhill skiing Friday through Sunday, before heading to NY on Monday 25th. Then finally going home on Wednesday 27th.

My brother will be attending a conference (nVIDIA GTC 2013) in San Jose, CA and I decided to go with him, so while he will be attending that conference I'm free to do whatever I feel like. I have only been very briefly to the SF-bay area and that was just a week-end trip to San Francisco. So suggestions on what to do from my fellow FG'ers in the SF-bay area and elsewhere would be welcome...

Will you have a car?

Will you have a car?
Yes. We'll have a rental, since my brother's convention is right next to the hotel, he won't be using it. However, I'm a little bit apprehensive about driving abroad...

if you feel adventurous, santa cruz has nice beaches (though the water is still cold). Monterrey is nice, the aquarium is awesome. Or you could take the Caltrain up to San Francisco and hang out here.

- - - Updated - - -

if you feel adventurous, santa cruz has nice beaches (though the water is still cold). Monterrey is nice, the aquarium is awesome. Or you could take the Caltrain up to San Francisco and hang out here.

I don't think marcos_eirik has time to go to Mexico... :p

San Jose is pretty close to San Francisco, so I would recommend going there if you have time. Golden Gate Bridge and whatnot.

In San Jose, or around that area, there is the Lick Observatory if you are into astronomy. The Winchester Mystery House is pretty neat, albeit a little expensive for what it is IMO.

The Tech Museum is badass, definitely check that out if you're interested.

Also my fave place to eat down there is Pita Pit. Like Subway only good and also pitas.

San Jose is pretty close to San Francisco, so I would recommend going there if you have time. Golden Gate Bridge and whatnot.

In San Jose, or around that area, there is the Lick Observatory if you are into astronomy.
Thank you, I will have a look at that... Did cycle from the Fisherman's Wharf to the Golden Gate Bridge, over it and then back the last time I was there, so I have seen that, but it was a nice trip.. :)

The Tech Museum is badass, definitely check that out if you're interested.

Also my fave place to eat down there is Pita Pit. Like Subway only good and also pitas.
Thanks... :) I'll try that...

Noted... :) Here, have some raep on me... I see that's a short walk from the Hyatt Place hotel we're staying at...

I have two words for you; orange sauce.

Eat at La Victoria. Excellent Mexican food.

Sigh....there is only one thing good about LaVics...the Orange sauce. Just go to LaVics to get the sauce and then go to Iguanas around the corner to get the burrito...

Could also go to Grande Pizzeria...around 6.00 USD for a pitcher during happy hour...which is usually 7 till 9.

I go to SJSU so many of the places around the college are cheap and plentiful. Gordon Bierch is a local brewery which has some decent food too. There is also a local public house called Original Gravity...damn good microbrews plus pub food.

Winchester - waaay over by Santana Row (which is also nice to go to). Luckily you have a car so your ok with travel (keep in mind 880 and SJ drivers are HORRID).

(Whom ever thinks LaVics thinks is good food should come to my hometown for the local taco truck. Or LA for that matter)

Last edited:
I would agree that LaVics is over-rated...but then, I didn't care for my Iguana's burrito, either...

I would definitely say to check out the Monterey Bay Aquarium...Santa Cruz and the Beach Boardwalk at night.

If there is a group of you, try and find a food truck gathering. I'm not sure if they are popular where you live, but there's been an explosion of food trucks in the US, and in the Bay Area. They have lost their way in that they are not really cheaper than a restaurant (that used to be the draw) but now they are just pop-up restaurants with great food that you can't get all the time.

For the record, I have enjoyed my tours of the Winchester Mystery House, but I also enjoyed my tour of Hearst Castle...but the US is much newer than Europe, any many of the most impressive pieces came from Europe...

They just installed the world'd largest light art exibit on the Bay Bridge, but you can only see it in San Francisco, and only north of the bridge. It's pretty fantastic, I have to say. Have dinner at night somewhere with a Bay Bridge view, if you can.

Also, tour the Kink.com building. It's...interesting. :p