• The development of any software program, including, but not limited to, training a machine learning or artificial intelligence (AI) system, is prohibited using the contents and materials on this website.

I'm off to Berlin!

Roland

Hi i'm going to germany on thursday with my class and was just wondering if any of u guys know some nice places to visit in berlin (restaurants, pubs, clubs etc). :)

^ yep, be a hardcore gearhead. you have pubs and restaurants everywhere, but autobahn without speed limits is a rare catch ;)

Hi!

Sorry, i can't give you any recommendations as I'm not from Berlin. And IIRC none of the Germans on this board is from Berlin, but maybe some guys have been there recently. I've been there when I was like 6, so... :roll:

haha604 said:
Rent a 911 and crack 155mph the autobahn :mrgreen:
You don't need a 911 to do that. Just today I did it again in a VW Golf.
Gummi.gif
:mrgreen:
Also renting a car might be difficult as he is there with his class and not by himself.

cya
Oliver

Buy a cheap travel guide (maybe you can find some "top 10" guide or something), they usually are quite convenient. I've been to Berlin three times (two times last year), and I have lots of recommendations, but now I can't tell you anything because I have to go and study... In the evening I could share my experiences if you like.

I went there last christmas > newyear.

Awsome city, too many sites to list to visit. I'll try though.

You'll definatly wanna do a city tour. Do the big double dekker thing, there was this one that didn't cost a fortune. Great start.

Also visit the expensive main shopping street. The really long one. Lovely window shopping.

Don't go to the zoo, it isn't anything special. Kinda old and needs to be restored.
Its ok if you have nothing else to do.

Then, the coolest stuff to see is where they built all the new stuff. Near the old wall. The building are breath takeing. Huge things. Old and new.
My dad took me to this hotel, the SAS ( http://berlin.radissonsas.com/lang-english/phrase/quality_hotel_berlin.php )
They've got the world's largest cylindrical aquarium. And theres a elevator in the middle of it you can ride up. THe cue was huge so we just went to the lobby and had something to drink while admireing everything from the outside.

aquadom.jpg

We didn't really go out clubbing at night, did the restaurants. It was more a family vacation.

I know theres enough to see there. Have fun :)

^ that would be a bit ambitious :)
the ring (i gueess you mean nurburgring) is 600-700km's away from berlin :)

but hell, thats a piece of cake for a real gearhead :D

Go up the Funkturm at night, it's in Charlottenburg, the view is awesome, and it's open until 23:00, unlike the Fernsehturm, only €2 concessions to go up. The lift is quite fast, but nothing to compare with driving on the autobahn.

Go on the ferry from Wansee to Gatow, it really cool when there are loads of sailing boats.

The recently opened Holocaust memorial, near the Brandeburg gate is quite interesting.

Thanks guys, the problem with driving i that i wouln't get my licence until november (i'm still 17 :cry: ). We are also tied up for 3-4 hours per day when we go to places together ( STASI headquarters, the jewish musemum, a sightseeing,the historical museum, the shultheiss brewarey etc). We have one day completely free and from 4 o'clock pm we are free as well. Our teacher also recomended us to go to sony center or a football pub to see the cup final so i think me and my friend will do so.

Thx for the tips and we are not leaving until tomorrow night so just give me some more tips if u have any.

:)

You should visit the Kaiser Wilhelm Ged?chtniskirche. It's a church that got ruined in the WWII, and it has been left like it. It reminds us about the war's madness.

The Berliner Dom (cathedral) is worth visiting. It is very beautiful and decorative, that's why it isn't very typical protestant church.

The Pergamon Museum is very nice indeed, there are lots of many thousand years old stuff.

And don't forget the Europe's second biggest department store KaDeWe. It's huge. The food and grocery section is unbelievably big.

hey Roland, I heard there was a jewish museum there and that there was a part in the museum about the holocaust adn you can close ur self in this concrete room that is empty and tall. Take some pics of that if it is there and if you know what im talking about.

There's that holocaust museum you described (I haven't visited it), and now there's also a new (opened a few weeks ago) huge holocaust monument like this:

0,1020,370867,00.jpg

Mahnmal9_600.jpg

0,1369,2426763,00.jpg

That is very impressive... I wish I could go to Berlin again and see that.

Lederlieber said:
There's that holocaust museum you described (I haven't visited it), and now there's also a new (opened a few weeks ago) huge holocaust monument like this:

The holocaust monument is actually both. Underneath is a museum.

swek said:
Lederlieber said:

The holocaust monument is actually both. Underneath is a museum.

But isn't there another, older holocaust museum, or am I just mixing things up? J?disches Museum or something?

But the museum Justin mentioned is maybe that new, or?

I just can't find my travel guide, there was a good chapter about that museum (and it can't be that new one because the book is a few years old...).