I'm still baffled...

According to Rut, they have 16 episodes taped, and they're splitting the season up into 8 & 8. The second group of eight will air later this year (fall/winter). I don't know if they are calling that season 3 or season 2, part 2.

Since the ratings this season are getting better week to week, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't pick them up for another season.

good point

According to Rut, they have 16 episodes taped, and they're splitting the season up into 8 & 8. The second group of eight will air later this year (fall/winter). I don't know if they are calling that season 3 or season 2, part 2.

Since the ratings this season are getting better week to week, I don't see any reason why they wouldn't pick them up for another season.

Not to say I don't believe you, but a link would be helpful :D

This country became great because our forefathers strived for greatness rather than settled for mediocrity. I realize it's apples to oranges when comparing the rise of a country and the making a successful television show, but to allow this show to continue on at its current mediocre pace brings shame to the Top Gear name and will eventually lead to the series being canceled, mark my words.

Umm, when this country was founded slavery was legal, women couldn't vote, and it took less than 100 years for it to end up with a civil war. Overall I'd say the birth of America was a little rougher than the second season of Top Gear US has been so far. I think the founding fathers would be quite pleased. Actually, I think the mere existence of cars and television would probably interest them enough that they wouldn't spend too much time nitpicking the script.

Sorry to say it but you may simply be in the vast majority of Americans who are never going to like this show... luckily it only takes a small minority to keep one going :)

Yeah, this country didn't become 'great' (meaning, a world power) until the late 1890s (over 100 years after founding), and even then it was middle of the pack among the great nations. Somehow, I don't think any version of Top Gear will be on any where near that long.

And looking at our current flock of leaders, who says we haven't settled for mediocrity? Using your own argument, a mediocre Top Gear is what America deserves. Thankfully, we don't seem to be getting 'mediocre' Top Gear, we're getting 'better every episode' Top Gear.

Perhaps we should turn the producers loose on our government?

Adam for VP and Tanner for Speaker of the House, then? ;)

The even more funny thing is that all of you respond by bashing my intelligence, where I live, and my devotion to the Top Gear brand as a whole. The fact of the matter is that you don't know a god damn thing about me, or the state that I live in, if you feel so compelled to trash Nebraska. I'll take my educated opinion over the view through rose-colored glasses that many of you have over a show has not proven to be very good, plain and simple. Compared to watching quality programming like TGUK, forgive me for not finding Top Gear US as entertaining "as I should" or whatever point those of you are trying to make. By the way, not a single person that responded to this thread has provided any concrete examples as to why this is supposedly a quality show, rather many of you have taken shots at me for voicing an opinion in order to hide the fact that you don't have any examples.

To initial B, again, you don't know a damn thing about me so why do you think your assumptions are anywhere close to accurate? Because I find TGUS dull, awkward, and disappointing? I also realize that this point has been brought up numerous times by others - which also shows I'm not the only "small-minded, fanboi, airhead" out there - including myself, but after finishing up season one, like I said, I thought they had made progress. I haven't see any between the end of season one and the beginning of season two. Maybe the chemistry between the three hosts has improved a slight bit as they grow more comfortable with one another, but practically everything else, particularly the first episode and their "pick-up alternatives challenge", has been a bit of a bore. To touch on your other points:

- I do know that TG on History is a BBC Worldwide production and that it isn't something stolen from the Brits. It's called copyright-infringement if that actually did happen, which even us ignorant, stupid Nebraskans know is quite illegal.

- When in God's name did I ever suggest that the US hosts of Top Gear were going to take over the UK version? Ummm.... Yeah, might want to check your facts on that one before calling me out, Einstein.

- How has my thinking taken a step backwards, considering in all likelihood you have no clue as to what I was thinking to begin with? Because I've seen something that, in my opinion, is not very good, especially when compared to the original? Again, way to use an insult as an attempt to fuel your argument.

- As I said in my original post, I was looking forward to season one AND season two of TGUS. I've seen every episode, with the exception of the newest one (which I actually wanted to see since Bill Engvall is their guest), so my displeasure for the show isn't because I haven't given the show a chance. And while we're on the subject of following Top Gear, I've seen nearly every episode of the 17 seasons (including owning seasons 10 and 13 on DVD, as well as seasons 9 and 15 on iTunes), in addition to some TG Australia episodes, so again, your theory that I "see nothing more that - did you mean than? - what (I) catch on BBC2 or BBC America" is wrong, yet again.

In closing, a drama queen? For voicing my opinion about Top Gear US on a forum that's here to discuss, well, Top Gear US? At least I can do so in an educated, well-organized fashion, rather than being some 28-year-old from SoCal who's only points include name-calling and assumptions about someone he has never met. This isn't middle school dude, so for our sake and more importantly for yours, learn proper grammar and how to debate, then come back to me.

P.S. - The first thing I did when reading many of these responses was laugh out loud because of the rise I got out of you guys. And while some make sense, the majority of you just seem butt-hurt that yet another person decided to voice a negative opinion on TGUS. I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last, so you may as well get used to it until that inevitable day comes that TGUS is canceled. Like I said, MARK MY WORDS. I'm out.

I lived in Lincoln for nine months while doing a contract job in the rural part of the state. Thus, my informed, educated opinion is that Nebraska sucks, even moreso than Kansas, and that's really saying something.

Rutledge for President!

Fuck no, i'd rather vote for Sarah Palin than him.

By the way, not a single person that responded to this thread has provided any concrete examples as to why this is supposedly a quality show, rather many of you have taken shots at me for voicing an opinion in order to hide the fact that you don't have any examples.

I find it funny, purely as an observational point, that whenever a fandom is presented with change, people don't want change. While people resist change most of the time in other fandoms, it seems that with TGUSA, the fandom wants to latch onto change and keep it that way. Whether this is a good move or not is questionable at this point.

As for me, I think the show still needs work. One critical aspect that I think TGUSA is squandering is the already established UK fanbase......in the USA. IIRC, one promo that History did was tout how Top Gear has "350 million fans worldwide." How many of those fans are in the USA (illegally streaming/torrenting and watching it on BBC America)? Completely abandoning all British traces is a dumb move. Keep some of it to entice the folks in the USA who like the UK version. Word of mouth goes a long way and is sometimes as powerful and valuable as any ad agency can (stupidly) pump out with some advert scheme.

Also, why the lack of Stiggy? Include him in every goddamn episode fer christ sakes. It's 3 guys hooning cars and some anonymous ambiguous driver. Not 3 guys hooning around.....and thats it. I want to see one guy just drive the damn car without injecting their own stupid commentary on how they got laid in a Pinto and wished they banged that same chick in a Jaguar.

Who ever said the show was the greatest? No one. It's still developing. If you'd take the hater glasses off and watch each show up till the latest you'd see it's slowly improving. Each show has gotten better then the last one.

Why people can't see that just because they don't like something doesn't mean everyone has to dislike it as well. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

By the way, not a single person that responded to this thread has provided any concrete examples as to why this is supposedly a quality show, rather many of you have taken shots at me for voicing an opinion in order to hide the fact that you don't have any examples.

If you provided an example of your own rather than just saying "it's complete and utter garbage" you might get a more meaningful conversation going... I'm not entirely sure that's what you're after though ;)

The even more funny thing is that all of you respond by bashing my intelligence, where I live, and my devotion to the Top Gear brand as a whole. The fact of the matter is that you don't know a god damn thing about me, or the state that I live in, if you feel so compelled to trash Nebraska. I'll take my educated opinion over the view through rose-colored glasses that many of you have over a show has not proven to be very good, plain and simple. Compared to watching quality programming like TGUK, forgive me for not finding Top Gear US as entertaining "as I should" or whatever point those of you are trying to make. By the way, not a single person that responded to this thread has provided any concrete examples as to why this is supposedly a quality show, rather many of you have taken shots at me for voicing an opinion in order to hide the fact that you don't have any examples.

To initial B, again, you don't know a damn thing about me so why do you think your assumptions are anywhere close to accurate? Because I find TGUS dull, awkward, and disappointing? I also realize that this point has been brought up numerous times by others - which also shows I'm not the only "small-minded, fanboi, airhead" out there - including myself, but after finishing up season one, like I said, I thought they had made progress. I haven't see any between the end of season one and the beginning of season two. Maybe the chemistry between the three hosts has improved a slight bit as they grow more comfortable with one another, but practically everything else, particularly the first episode and their "pick-up alternatives challenge", has been a bit of a bore. To touch on your other points:

- I do know that TG on History is a BBC Worldwide production and that it isn't something stolen from the Brits. It's called copyright-infringement if that actually did happen, which even us ignorant, stupid Nebraskans know is quite illegal.

- When in God's name did I ever suggest that the US hosts of Top Gear were going to take over the UK version? Ummm.... Yeah, might want to check your facts on that one before calling me out, Einstein.

- How has my thinking taken a step backwards, considering in all likelihood you have no clue as to what I was thinking to begin with? Because I've seen something that, in my opinion, is not very good, especially when compared to the original? Again, way to use an insult as an attempt to fuel your argument.

- As I said in my original post, I was looking forward to season one AND season two of TGUS. I've seen every episode, with the exception of the newest one (which I actually wanted to see since Bill Engvall is their guest), so my displeasure for the show isn't because I haven't given the show a chance. And while we're on the subject of following Top Gear, I've seen nearly every episode of the 17 seasons (including owning seasons 10 and 13 on DVD, as well as seasons 9 and 15 on iTunes), in addition to some TG Australia episodes, so again, your theory that I "see nothing more that - did you mean than? - what (I) catch on BBC2 or BBC America" is wrong, yet again.

In closing, a drama queen? For voicing my opinion about Top Gear US on a forum that's here to discuss, well, Top Gear US? At least I can do so in an educated, well-organized fashion, rather than being some 28-year-old from SoCal who's only points include name-calling and assumptions about someone he has never met. This isn't middle school dude, so for our sake and more importantly for yours, learn proper grammar and how to debate, then come back to me.

P.S. - The first thing I did when reading many of these responses was laugh out loud because of the rise I got out of you guys. And while some make sense, the majority of you just seem butt-hurt that yet another person decided to voice a negative opinion on TGUS. I'm not the first and I certainly won't be the last, so you may as well get used to it until that inevitable day comes that TGUS is canceled. Like I said, MARK MY WORDS. I'm out.

let's start off that in your original post, you blindly try to convince us that Top Gear US was "inevitably" was going to be canceled, even though ratings for the first season as well as the beginning of this current season are on the rise. you don't like the show, fine, no skin off our backs. but if you're going to come in this forum spewing this rubbish, like so many trolls have try to do without providing a legitimate reason, then you're better off not logging on here anymore. this forum is far advance for you to handle, obviously.

and is this really the best response you can come up with? no insight and still proclaiming that the show will be canceled. and shots about my grammar, let's me further know how little you have to work with.

we enjoy this show for what it is, not for what it's trying to be, a Top Gear UK clone. people like you come and go, but the show continues on. and you can't stand that. which makes it more appealing to people like myself.

mark my words, you will not be able to do anything to convince true Top Gear fans to cancel this show, even if you stomp your feet and hold your breath til you turn blue. it's as simple as that.

you may be "OUT" but, i'm still in.

Our early attempts at canceling Top Gear USA have gone through several preparations. Preparations A through G were a complete failure. But now ladies and gentleman, we finally have a way to cancel Top Gear USA. We shall call it, Preparation H.

dr-evil.jpg

Last edited:
If the original TopGear UK never existed and TGUS was an all original program, it would be among the very best car shows that I have ever seen. The fact that there is one other car show in existence that is better, doesn't mean anything. Imagine if only the "best" tv show was allowed on tv... what a shitty world that would be. If you don't like the show, then so be it, no one really cares.

Imagine if only the "best" tv show was allowed on tv... what a shitty world that would be.
Which brings us to the subject of American network television. 'Reality' television anyone?

Thus, my informed, educated opinion is that Nebraska sucks, even moreso than Kansas, and that's really saying something.
And thanks for broadsiding my state Spie. Here it was, minding its own business, merrily throwing off the shackles of Creationism, and WHAM! some dude from what is historically the most corrupt city in America decides to corrupt the innocent. :)

Last edited: