I'm tired of AT&T's throttling...

CraigB

Ich bin ein Kartoffel
DONOR
Car(s)
Mustang SVO - Frontier Pro-4X - BRZ - D21 Hardbody
Last year I ditched my home phone and Internet (through a local co-op), so my phone is my sole connection to the outside world at home. Since then I've been throttled about half way through the month, about every month.

I've been a customer of Cingular before they merged with AT&T, but my unlimited data isn't exactly unlimited when only works at .23 Mbps.

Does anyone know of a work around? I'm using an iPhone 4 and I wouldn't mind jail breaking it if that'll fix it.

Otherwise, who has a truly unlimited plan?

Sprint and T-Mobile boast of truly unlimited. I really doubt it's actually "True."

Re: I'm tired of AT&T's throttling...

From a cursory google search, the throttling is done on their end, not even jailbreaking your handset will stop it.

T-Mo and Sprint do offer unlimited data. Sprint's data is truly unlimited, and if your area's recieved the network enhancements they're doing as part of their "network vision" project, you may get ok speeds. If not then expect slow data speeds even on "4G" as most Sprint areas use WiMax for "4G". LTE is coming slowly as part of Network Vision.

Since sprint is cdma don't expect to bring your own phone unless its sprint branded.

T-Mo also adopted truly unlimited data starting a few days ago, ditching it's throttling after x GB approach: http://newsroom.t-mobile.com/articles/t-mobile-unlimited-nationwide-4g-data

T-Mobile's investing in its network as well. They're making it more iPhone friendly with more areas supporting HSPA+ ("4G" in T-Mobile and AT&T parlance) on bands that the AT&T iPhone can use, plus staff are trained on how to handle iPhone and iPad questions.

The downside to T-Mo is still coverage..if you live in even a fairly metropolitan area it'll be great, but start going rural and you may be stuck on 2G Edge data.

Both sprint and T-Mobile likely have "excessive use" clauses that let them boot you if you're really over the top on data use but at least you won't get throttled.

Last edited:
I think its anyting above 3 or so but i'm not a 100%

I think TMo has a 2gb,5gb and unlimited or something along those lines. I'm not with them anymore (mainly because I'm in a poor coverage are), but if they have good service in your area Craig I'd look into them.

I don't think there is a published figure for Sprint. But 4 GB should be within limits. That's less than the 5 GB plan other carriers offer

I'm tired of AT&T's throttling...

He says his coverage with Sprint is kind of spotty out this way.

Has anyone used StraightTalk? From what I've read it uses AT&T towers, but its about half the cost, then I could get home Internet back.

Btw, this is what I get when I'm throttled:
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1357987233.535614.jpg

He says his coverage with Sprint is kind of spotty out this way.

Has anyone used StraightTalk? From what I've read it uses AT&T towers, but its about half the cost, then I could get home Internet back.

Btw, this is what I get when I'm throttled:
View attachment 8860

Straight Talk actually uses both T-Mobile and AT&T. If you buy a SIM from the ST website, they'll ask which you want. Some people report throttling on AT&T but not on T-Mo, while others say they've had no throttling whatsoever.

So why does anyone use AT&T if they can get the same service for 1/2 price?

I've been unthrottled:

View attachment 8874

Because there's a stigma attached to prepaid in the US. For years US carriers marketed their own prepaid as "basic phones for poor people/people with shitty credit" so that's what usually pops into people's heads. They don't want a basic phone and especially don't want to meekly say they're on a carrier that no one has "heard" of. The fact that most MVNO's aren't as known as Verizon, Sprint, et all doesn't help, although Straight Talk has Wal-Mart's marketing muscle on it's side..so I suspect it's known more than say Cricket.