• I hate it

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • I am Spectre

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters

British_Rover

Car(s)
2005 Gr Cherokee, dealer demo
Good idea, but they didn't even show the car for more than 30 seconds. I'm not up to date on Chrysler cars, but it just looks like a freshened Sebring.

Haven't watched the clip yet but the slogan is not that bad. What was the previous one, if there was one?

I appreciate the sentiment of the ad itself - but the tagline sucks donkeyballs. It feels very disingenuous, as if they're trying to give the car a European heritage that it simply doesn't have. The ad agency probably meant for it to invoke American design heritage, but with this particular presentation, it felt like some street merchants trying to sell me a Folex watch.

And yes, the 200 is in fact a refreshed Sebring. Vastly improved, but still a very direct follower of the lineage.

i was very happy to see that commercial. I have gained alot of respect for Chrysler recently and this just adds on to that. i have also noticed that GM is trying to create the same commercials because GM is deperate for a good idea (and they dont make lawnmowers ;) )

my question is, i get that the car is assembled in Detroit but how much of it is made there?

"This is the Motor City and this is what we do." is too much like Jeep's "the things we make, make us." I know it's the same parent company but they could've tried just a little bit harder.

"This is the Motor City and this is what we do." is too much like Jeep's "the things we make, make us." I know it's the same parent company but they could've tried just a little bit harder.

no, they are sticking to one motive together. they are showing that this company knows that the big 3 were killing detroit and they are trying to do thier part to bring back the pride and the jobs. (or something like that, im sure you get my point)

So does it have 25" Spinners, a 10000 Watt stereo and Riffles in the Doors or any Towbar for a Trailer?

This is stupid. They are basically saying "we are a shitty company that makes shitty cars but if you don't buy our cars then you are signing a death sentence to the residents of Detroit because they will lose jobs if we close down" except that the government keeps bailing them out so even that's a lie. And I'm sorry, but bringing Eminem in makes me want to buy the car less, if anything. Ford FTMFW as far as domestics go.

This is stupid. They are basically saying "we are a shitty company that makes shitty cars but if you don't buy our cars then you are signing a death sentence to the residents of Detroit because they will lose jobs if we close down" except that the government keeps bailing them out so even that's a lie. And I'm sorry, but bringing Eminem in makes me want to buy the car less, if anything. Ford FTMFW as far as domestics go.

i am a ford person as well but if thats what they are saying then they are right. there isnt many factorys left in detroit but they are trying to stick around because these companys leaving is killing that city. If i can do my part and also buy a good american car then ill do it. that new jeep looks great and i have heard great things about it. i think chrysler is doing better things than GM did with "my money"

The slogan on its own isn't too bad, but the ad overall gives me mixed messages. They seem to be trying reclaim their classy image... yet they bring in Eminem? Does not compute.

The slogan on its own isn't too bad, but the ad overall gives me mixed messages. They seem to be trying reclaim their classy image... yet they bring in Eminem? Does not compute.

Eminem is from detroit. would you rather they used Kid Rock? i think they were tying the MoTown music and cars together. show that hey are still there.

Eminem is from detroit. would you rather they used Kid Rock? i think they were tying the MoTown music and cars together. show that hey are still there.

So much great music has come from Detroit over the years; WTF were Chrysler thinking by using one of the worst? I'm guessing the reason they used Eminem is because The White Stripes just broke up.

That's from a couple years back. They chose Eminem for a reason.

You make a good point about the luxury-and-Eminem bit, but if you look at luxury cars as nice things that up-and-coming buy, not pleasant things that old wealthy people own, it makes sense. I'm a 29-year-old lawyer who owns Eminem's Recovery.

Last edited:
More importantly, Chrysler is the underdog in the Big Three American auto industry (which is itself an underdog in the auto industry in general). Detroit is an underdog in the pantheon of notable American cities. Eminem is an underdog in the rap industry - when he started, with the image he gave himself:

Eminem, the great battle rapper, the perpetual underdog, the guy who made himself the biggest-selling artist on the planet by appealing to the downtrodden, to the unpopular, to the spat-upon, whose glorious appeal was based on his sly ability to say "Fuck the man" in oh so many new and different ways.

http://gawker.com/#!5753923/eminem-gives-up

So the ad brings together three underdogs that are all connected with each other: Detroit, the city that's fallen on hard times, Chrysler, the car company that's fallen on hard times, and Eminem, the artist who's always been in and out of hard times to begin with. It's a great way for the three entities to reaffirm themselves in a bold, dramatic way, in front of a massive audience that might not have known any better or wouldn't have cared in the first place. It's not trying to sell the Chrysler 200, a warmed-over Sebring. In fact, it's great because it promotes not a product, not so much a company at large (which is what it's doing, obviously), but a concept. It links a product with not only a celebrity but also an entire region and its products. And it gives people a different perspective to think about the product but from common human emotions and experiences (redemption, recovery, etc). It hits all of these things without sounding as cliche as one might expect. Bravo. Don Draper would be pretty proud of himself.

Still, I thought Eminem was going to stab me at the end.

Last edited:
More importantly, Chrysler is the underdog in the Big Three American auto industry (which is itself an underdog in the auto industry in general). Detroit is an underdog in the pantheon of notable American cities. Eminem is an underdog in the rap industry - when he started, with the image he gave himself:

So the ad brings together three underdogs that are all connected with each other: Detroit, the city that's fallen on hard times, Chrysler, the car company that's fallen on hard times, and Eminem, the artist who's always been in and out of hard times to begin with. It's a great way for the three entities to reaffirm themselves in a bold, dramatic way, in front of a massive audience that might not have known any better or wouldn't have cared in the first place. It's not trying to sell the Chrysler 200, a warmed-over Sebring. In fact, it's great because it promotes not a product, not so much a company at large (which is what it's doing, obviously), but a concept. It links a product with not only a celebrity but also an entire region and its products. And it gives people a different perspective to think about the product but from common human emotions and experiences (redemption, recovery, etc). It hits all of these things without sounding as cliche as one might expect. Bravo. Don Draper would be pretty proud of himself.

Looks like someone deserves a job in Chrysler's P.R. department.

Full disclosure: Chrysler paid for gasoline, insurance, taxes, expenses, three nights at the Hotel Roosevelt, the shrimp scampi, the souvenir naked-lady pen, thirteen bottles of Courvoisier, four nights' worth of the all-you-can-eat buffet tent, the Michael Bolton tickets, the matching five-piece luggage set and Pilotis, and the replacement Hugo Boss suit after Sergio Marchionne's less-than-adequate blowjob, which has since been rectified.

What? I just liked the ad.

To repeat something I said earlier.

This is why Blaro is smarter than most of the rest of you.

Selling a concept is a lot harder then selling a product or even a brand.

Apple's 1984 ad from The Super Bowl was selling a concept more then anything else.

Oh and Eminem I think did stab a couple of those gospel back up singers off camera.

I liked the commercial...except for that retarded slogan.

Oh, and I am Spectre. :D