Votes: 4 3.8%
  • indifferent

Votes: 25 23.6%
  • I hate it

Votes: 11 10.4%
  • I am Spectre

Votes: 14 13.2%

• Total voters
The car is crap, but I do like the message.

The car is crap, but I do like the message.

The first time I watched it, I thought the ad was for Chrysler as a whole. I missed the one-second line suggesting it was specifically about the 200. I think they should have just made it a brand-oriented ad instead of technically being a model-oriented ad, because that's what it really is in my mind anyway.

Apperently there are many Spectres on this forum.

I think they should have featured the Chrysler 300 instead, but overall, as an ad that sells the brand, I think its brilliant.

This was a very well executed ad, but they need the shit to back it up. Chrysler (and most other car companies) should look at why Ford is doing well now.
Kia and Hyundai as well but Ford is the best example because it was one of the three US companies that had a rather spectacular crash, but Ford was the only one who really picked themselves back up, even though Ford was the only one who didn't take the bailout. The big difference between Ford and Chrysler and Chevy is instead of working on making their cars seem good, Ford actually put effort into improving the product. Since the bailout Ford brought over successful cars from Europe, made awesome new ones like the Raptor, and improved existing ones. As an American I look at Ford as the company that chose not to rip me off, and instead succeed by listening to what people wanted and making it. It makes you WANT to give them money because of all the car companies they are the ones that seemed to put effort into earning it.

I think they should have featured the Chrysler 300 instead, but overall, as an ad that sells the brand, I think its brilliant.

To be fair though, 300's built in Canada while 200's built in Sterling Heights, Michigan. For a company who's every move is dissected and bashed by news pundits that have no idea how the car industry works and are willing to bash them at seemingly every opportunity, I could see why they chose the 200 to ensure that there'd be one less thing for people to chew up and spit out.

As far as the ad itself goes, Blaro and Mitlov summed it up pretty good. It was way more about concept, about trying to rekindle people's passion for what their fellow American's build, about proving that even an area that many consider to be the worst in America can pick itself up and try to move forward, "luxury" for the common man and not just the super rich, etc.

Apparently the ad worked on more than just the concept front:

110207%20superbowl%20consideration%20chart.jpg

Lets hope those clicks turn into butts in seats and checks signed though...This car and it's Avenger stablemate are arguably more important than the 300/Charger as far as necessary sales volume goes.

This was a very well executed ad, but they need the shit to back it up. Chrysler (and most other car companies) should look at why Ford is doing well now.
Kia and Hyundai as well but Ford is the best example because it was one of the three US companies that had a rather spectacular crash, but Ford was the only one who really picked themselves back up, even though Ford was the only one who didn't take the bailout. The big difference between Ford and Chrysler and Chevy is instead of working on making their cars seem good, Ford actually put effort into improving the product. Since the bailout Ford brought over successful cars from Europe, made awesome new ones like the Raptor, and improved existing ones. As an American I look at Ford as the company that chose not to rip me off, and instead succeed by listening to what people wanted and making it. It makes you WANT to give them money because of all the car companies they are the ones that seemed to put effort into earning it.

You have to remember though, what Chrysler was selling here...they were selling in Europe too. Unlike Ford who could magically pick up their "best from Europe" and put them here.
Also Ford was able to borrow platforms from brands they owned like the previous gen 6 platform for Fusion, and the S80 platform for Taurus, Chrysler didn't have much to platform share with....sure Mitsubishi was around, but that modified Lancer platform that Chrysler ended up using for both the compact cars and the midsizers didn't turn out too well. The MB stuff was far too high end to be cost effective in these lower tier segments as well.

Don't forget that Chrysler also suffered from literally being drained to death financially by Daimler. That's one reason why the interiors were so awful, why cars like Caliber and Avenger seemed underdeveloped, why even their bread and butter minivans suffered. Add in a year or two of ownership by a private equity company that wasn't interested in cars it seemed, and headed by a washed up Home Depot CEO and you can see why things were basically on "mediocrity auto pilot"

The amount of progress that Chrysler's made on their products so far with the budget they have and the short development time is impressive. Gutted interiors in nearly everything...even the Caliber, nearly every suspension and body bushing changed on the refreshed stuff like, attractive facelifts (save for 200 but tooling's expensive) on even their most criticized models like Compass. A 3.6 liter V6 that can go toe to toe with the best from Japan...they've done a lot. You may not have seen a ton of promotion for it...but they've done a great deal.

Last edited:
You have to remember though, what Chrysler was selling here...they were selling in Europe too. Unlike Ford who could magically pick up their "best from Europe" and put them here.
Also Ford was able to borrow platforms from brands they owned like the previous gen 6 platform for Fusion, and the S80 platform for Taurus, Chrysler didn't have much to platform share with....sure Mitsubishi was around, but that modified Lancer platform that Chrysler ended up using for both the compact cars and the midsizers didn't turn out too well. The MB stuff was far too high end to be cost effective in these lower tier segments as well.

Don't forget that Chrysler also suffered from literally being drained to death financially by Daimler. That's one reason why the interiors were so awful, why cars like Caliber and Avenger seemed underdeveloped, why even their bread and butter minivans suffered. Add in a year or two of ownership by a private equity company that wasn't interested in cars it seemed, and headed by a washed up Home Depot CEO and you can see why things were basically on "mediocrity auto pilot"

The amount of progress that Chrysler's made on their products so far with the budget they have and the short development time is impressive. Gutted interiors in nearly everything...even the Caliber, nearly every suspension and body bushing changed on the refreshed stuff like, attractive facelifts (save for 200 but tooling's expensive) on even their most criticized models like Compass. A 3.6 liter V6 that can go toe to toe with the best from Japan...they've done a lot. You may not have seen a ton of promotion for it...but they've done a great deal.

Fair point. Hopefully what they take from fiat will give them some extra parts in their bins as well as generate enough sales to give them spending money for developing more good things. If they put in steady effort they can bring themselves back, it may take awhile to fix their name but as we can see by the recent impressive put outs of the korean companies it's completely possible. If it really is lack of proper promotion then this ad will be a step in the right direction. :)

I just realized this as I was listening to my KISS album. You know what would make this commercial kickass? Replace "Lose Yourself" with "Detroit Rock City." Then replace footage of the new 200 cruising with footage of the 200 powersliding around corners. Keep the narration, maybe change the driver.:cool:

Whaddya think?

Last edited:
I really think for its intended purpose the 200 doesn't look too bad. Of course, I'd need to actually drive one to form a proper opinion on it.

As for the ad, I think its not too bad. A little bit cheesy, but it could've been a lot worse.

More importantly, Chrysler is the underdog in the Big Three American auto industry (which is itself an underdog in the auto industry in general). Detroit is an underdog in the pantheon of notable American cities. Eminem is an underdog in the rap industry - when he started, with the image he gave himself:

http://gawker.com/#!5753923/eminem-gives-up

So the ad brings together three underdogs that are all connected with each other: Detroit, the city that's fallen on hard times, Chrysler, the car company that's fallen on hard times, and Eminem, the artist who's always been in and out of hard times to begin with. It's a great way for the three entities to reaffirm themselves in a bold, dramatic way, in front of a massive audience that might not have known any better or wouldn't have cared in the first place. It's not trying to sell the Chrysler 200, a warmed-over Sebring. In fact, it's great because it promotes not a product, not so much a company at large (which is what it's doing, obviously), but a concept. It links a product with not only a celebrity but also an entire region and its products. And it gives people a different perspective to think about the product but from common human emotions and experiences (redemption, recovery, etc). It hits all of these things without sounding as cliche as one might expect. Bravo. Don Draper would be pretty proud of himself.

Still, I thought Eminem was going to stab me at the end.

Absolutely nailed it.

Apperently there are many Spectres on this forum.

Shit, I could have told you that. :lol:

I like it.

I think Chrysler has the best advertising department not only in the auto industry, but in general. Whereas Ford constantly pushes the logic factor (which works to some degree) Chrysler pushes all the right emotional buttons which seems to be far more effective. They don't do this in a sappy way (looking at you GM) but they do this in a deliberate, focused, and even aggressive way. Something like a good locker room pep talk or inspiring speech. The ads (including the pre-superbowl style ad) make you want that American dream. I enjoy it.

edit: Doubt this is shown in Europe, but for reference:

I think it's about time American's started being proud to be American again. We have a culture all our own, and so many people seem to dismiss or even deny it. Give me my chrome!

Last edited:
I just realized this as I was listening to my KISS album. You know what would make this commercial kickass? Replace "Lose Yourself" with "Detroit Rock City." Then replace footage of the new 200 cruising with footage of the 200 powersliding around corners. Keep the narration, maybe change the driver.:cool:

Whaddya think?

Glam-metal? Maaaaaaaybe for the Challenger SRT-8, but not Chrysler.

But instead of "lose yourself," they should have used either "Beautiful" (because of the Detroit connection) or "Not Afraid" (about coming back after hitting rock bottom), instead of using a song that implies that they've always been "there" and just never been noticed. I think "Not Afraid" would have been the best choice.

[video=youtube;j5-yKhDd64s]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5-yKhDd64s[/video]

Edit: I forgot how much he swore in that. I guess we know why they didn't use that.

Detroit Rock City as a follow up general SRT-8 commercial with the 300C, Challenger and Charger complete with pyrotechnics and power slides.

And instead of saying, "this is what we do," say, "We do this too."

Not sure who you would have as the spokesperson though.

Detroit Rock City as a follow up general SRT-8 commercial with the 300C, Challenger and Charger complete with pyrotechnics and power slides.

And instead of saying, "this is what we do," say, "We do this too."

Not sure who you would have as the spokesperson though.

Kid Rock? He's from Detroit too, and his personality fits with Dodges doing power slides better than Eminem's does.

In only a few years time they will have to find a new tagline, unless they'll simply change to "Imported from Mexico". I like Eminem. I don't like the narrator trying to pass a Sebring off as luxury. It's not. "It's the hottest fires that make the hardest steel." Yes it is. And if those fires burned in Detroit, the city wouldnt have gone bankrupt.

The luxury fires burned hotter elsewhere. Detroit lost. A facelifted Sebring isnt going to change that. And gospel singers? Seriously? Cheeseplosion.

Last edited:
Slogan is eh, haven't made up my mind yet.

The commercial itself was awesome, Eminem wasn't a bad touch but it would have been fine with or without him.....they picked the wrong car for that commercial though. Very disappointing...should have been the new 300 SRT8 or something. :lol:

Slogan is eh, haven't made up my mind yet.

The commercial itself was awesome, Eminem wasn't a bad touch but it would have been fine with or without him.....they picked the wrong car for that commercial though. Very disappointing...should have been the new 300 SRT8 or something. :lol:

The 300 is made in Canada, not Detroit. The interwebz would be tearing them apart if they had used a Canadian-made car in that ad.