Improv Exhaust Repair 101

Bubs360

Car(s)
'91 Sentra SE-R, 2003 Triumph Speed Triple 955i
Just for a laugh, really.

Well, the exhaust on my van was starting to rust up, so I figured another year or two before I need to replace the whole system (given I keep it out of the snow and store it indoors, etc). Well, on Monday I walked out to the van after school and climbed in. Upon pushing the starter button like every other day, the engine erupted into a loud, droning roar. If I was a regular teenage dude, I probably wouldn't mind this but it's a little obnoxious for my taste. So, after discovering the motor wasn't about to explode, I drove home to diagnose the problem. This is what I found:

DSCF6694.jpg

Looks awfully clean for rust-breakage, though. Almost as if someone took a saw to it. While I doubt someone could do that, I just emailed my school principal to look at the camera footage that day for any suspicious activity with, say, a hacksaw. I tried some of that exhaust tape crap, wrapped tight, and it was quiet for approximately thirty seconds before it was back to brap-a-braaap-braaaaaaap. So, until I get access to some welding equipment, a large exhaust clamp was in order.

How To: make a patch repair with none of the proper tools or equipment.

Step 1: How to get under a lowered Vanagon with no access to a jack
DSCF6686.jpg

Just back 'er onto a durn cinder block, I reckon! That gave me pretty good access to the exhaust without hitting my head.

Step 2: How to install the exhaust clamp without any of the proper tools. Just use a pair of channel locks and vice grips to hold the bolt in place.
DSCF6693.jpg

After this point, I had the clamp tightened all the way and it still had room to slide around. That was no good. I needed something to patch the gap and add thickness so the clamp would stay.
Step 3: Think hard. You don't have the right tools, or the right equipment. Just an exhaust clamp, some pliers and a cinder block.
DSCF6704.jpg

Suddenly my dad arrived. He was armed with a Chef Boyardee can and the most fantastic idea. Cutting the can top and bottom off, and making a gap made a good temporary exhaust wrap.
Step 4. Yay! Wrap the can around the exhaust gap and tighten clamp.
DSCF6689.jpg

DSCF6708.jpg

See? In five simple steps, you too can make your exhaust somewhat quieter until you are able to weld it up. Lesson learned: You can never have enough tools.

I thought Macgyver was canceled long ago. :lol: That's an excellent bit of improvisation! I'm digging the license plate too!

Tin cans have been used for decades. I've used a soda can for a temporary fix. Eventually, it burned through the can...but it worked!

Well done. Don't let lack of proper tools or know how get in your way. Also, there's no way in hell that thing rusted apart, it's WAY too clean. Maybe someone was trying to go after your cat (if you have one).

Sure you're not a "teenage dude"?

Still, well done.

I said not a regular one, because most of the teenage guys in my area would kill for an exhaust tone as loud and obnoxious as what my van posessed. :lol:

Wow well impressed, where do I get the exhaust version of 'Chef Boyardee' in the UK - does anyone know? Could save me a fortune. BTW I agree someone was after your cat, possibly with an mini angle grinder.

/EDIT Get it welded pronto.

Your exhaust was definitely cut. But nice fix! I've done the soda can/bailing wire thing before, I should've thought of using a soup can :lol:.

Nice job. Though I would have considered leaving it. Flat four's sound awesome.